Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Box only has one scart socket, cannot record onto my freeview dvd recorder

Old 06-10-2010, 14:49   #1
HelenLois
Inactive

HelenLois is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Box only has one scart socket, cannot record onto my freeview dvd recorder

Hi Guys,
I have had to get a replacement Virgin Box today, my old one had 2 scart leads coming of it, one to tv and one to my dvd freeview recorder, which I managed with your advice to set up and record virgin channels on, now I only have one scart socket on the new V box, I am stuck and have been told by the engineer I should be able to run a connection to my freeview recorder, to the tv and back to the v box and it will work, done so all afternoon and gone through video source on freeview but no channels from virgin will come through the dvd recorder...is there a way round this or will I end up having to pay extra for a V+ box installation and leave my dvd recorder redundant?
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Helen
HelenLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2010, 14:59   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Box only has one scart socket, cannot record onto my freeview dvd recorder

This will probably do what you need http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Scart-S...863444-0326316
Old 06-10-2010, 15:04   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Box only has one scart socket, cannot record onto my freeview dvd recorder

You may be finding that if you are effectively daisy chaining STB <> TV #1 then TV#2 <> DVD that unless the TV is powered on there is no signal passed between TV # 1 & #2. That assumes that the TV internally is even wired to do a passthrough and output, rather than just accept an input signal.

You could do the switcher box suggested by Ben. An alternative might be a single input two output scart lead such as http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...rderCode=L97BA. If the single is connected to the STB output then the double ends could connect to the TV and recorder allowing both to recieve the V box output?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 15:20   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I was looking for one of those leads but couldn't find it.
Old 06-10-2010, 15:46   #5
HelenLois
Inactive

Talking Re: Virgin Box only has one scart socket, cannot record onto my freeview dvd recorder

Ben, thanks for that I shall seek one out, as fo he other cable Rob, I haven't seen one of them before, yet if Ben's suggestion does not work I shall get to Maplins!!
Cheers for that
Old 06-10-2010, 16:38   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Thinking about the box suggested by Ben, that might not work. Those are usually intended to take multiple inputs and redirect them to only one output Helen's scenario requiress the revese, one output to mulitple inputs.
Old 06-10-2010, 17:14   #7
HelenLois
Inactive

Rob, having re-read what you suggested, do you think the cable from maplins is the solution?
regards

Helen
Old 06-10-2010, 17:24   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

I think it is a possible solution. I think the real key is the wiring of the cable. Unfortunately not all scart leads connect all 21 pins.

You will of course still need a separate scart from the DVD recorder to the TV to allow for the playback of the DVD recorded stuff so I'm assuming you have two scart sockets on the TV and recorder.

Effectively your wiring is:

TV scart input AV socket #1
<scart dual lead to split end #1>
VM scart socket
<scart dual lead to split end #2>
DVD Recorder input scart socket #1

&

TV scart input AV socket #2
<standard scard lead>
DVD Recorder ouput scart socket #2
Old 06-10-2010, 19:05   #9
HelenLois
Inactive

Thank you Rob, I will get the lead fri and post again how it went!!!
Cheers for the help
Old 06-10-2010, 19:09   #10
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

If your DVD recorder has 2 SCART sockets try this:

V Box <> AV2/EXT2 on recorder
TV <> AV1/EXT1 on recorder
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 20:05   #11
bigpmc
Inactive

Services: TV XL, BB L, Talk Weekends.
bigpmc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
If your DVD recorder has 2 SCART sockets try this:

V Box <> AV2/EXT2 on recorder
TV <> AV1/EXT1 on recorder
Thats how mine is wired and it works fine for me. I also have a pound shop scart splitter so I can have a wireless sender connected too
bigpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 20:18   #12
HelenLois
Inactive

Thank you Ben, I will try that and let you know, i have seen the scart splitter in the pound shop, so if it works then will save me the cost too, cheers

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

thanks also bigpmc, for the tip, will post my progress! Cheers
Old 08-10-2010, 14:18   #13
HelenLois
Inactive

Hi, I have first off tried what Ben suggested, I get picture on freeview but nothing from V box, got scart splitter as Rob suggested from Maplin but still no joy, with this have scart in/out in v box, going to av1 on tv, then avi 1 to dvd freeview recorder box, seperate scart from av2 tv to av2 freeview box, this way i still get channels up from V box but blank blue screen on tv when i change source on tv to av2 where before I could get the freeview channels with the old vbox- I am a bit thick with this so appreciate that I maybe missing a link! excuse the pun!!!

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Hi, sorry, i did not try the original suggestion by BenMcr just the last suggestion by BenB and the Y shaped lead by Maplins that Rob suggested , my last option will be to get the hama scart switch box, cheers
Old 08-10-2010, 14:28   #14
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Freeview channels These are available on if you have a terrestrial TV aerial and freeview decoder either as a STB, or built into the DVD recorder or TV.

Quote:
with this have scart in/out in v box, going to av1 on tv, then avi 1 to dvd freeview recorder box,
That sounds wrong to me. Scart in/out on V box should be the main centre scart on the lead. One output plug goes to the TV, one to the DVD recorder input #1.

With this setup remember that to view the DVD output, including whatever the DVD recorder is actually seeing from the V box input, ou must tune the TV to the DVD input socket i.e. AV#2. To record on the DVD from the STB, you must tune the DVD to it's input channel i.e. AV#1.

If you are having issues, do make sure that all scart leads you are using are genuinely 2-way signalling 21 pin. I've seen leads that will only allow one way signalling, and not all pins are fully wired.
Old 11-10-2010, 13:17   #15
HelenLois
Inactive

Thanks Rob, I have it up and running now with the 3 way lead from Maplin, I think it is V box inton scart 2 on tv and dvd recorder into scart 1, it works and records from V box as well as from freeview...Thank you everyone for your help.