Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | High Definition on Virgin Media: FAQ

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

High Definition on Virgin Media: FAQ

Old 21-02-2008, 10:42   #31
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: High Definition on Virgin Media: FAQ

@StuBill: Only HD Movies on Demand have 5.1 sound, not the SD ones. Does that answer your question?
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2008, 19:23   #32
arm987
Inactive

Services: Ntl Tv Phone Broadband
arm987 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found all of this info most helpful.
I have had a V box for 15 months and apart from small self imposed errors have not had problems at all. The help line and one call from an engineer solved everything.
I have a Samsung 32inch TV and am stunned at the quality of the standard picture indeed many of the old films viewed in standard reception leave me wondering if HD is worth the trouble. I will admit if one is close to the screen HD does improve the reception but from normal viewing distance wild life and modern travel items look to me almost as good as HD. I have switched from BBC1 to the HD channel when same program was on and the difference was very little, to put it another way-I would not like to have to pay for it. Overall the V Box has been my best buy,being able to record two and watch one is almost black magic. Recording is so easy and finding items to watch from recorded list is a simple matter-remember the load of VCR tapes scrolling back and forth to find playing spot?,thankfully a thing of the past. No doubt the Hard disk recorder is the best invention of the past few years. I notice some TVs now come with a built in H/D. A real bonus is being able to transfer a recorded item to a DVD recorder-and simple to do.
Do I give the impression I like the V Box?

ARM987
arm987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 19:52   #33
hokkers999
cf.addict

hokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm987 View Post
I found all of this info most helpful.
I have had a V box for 15 months and apart from small self imposed errors have not had problems at all. The help line and one call from an engineer solved everything.
I have a Samsung 32inch TV and am stunned at the quality of the standard picture indeed many of the old films viewed in standard reception leave me wondering if HD is worth the trouble. I will admit if one is close to the screen HD does improve the reception but from normal viewing distance wild life and modern travel items look to me almost as good as HD. I have switched from BBC1 to the HD channel when same program was on and the difference was very little, to put it another way-I would not like to have to pay for it. Overall the V Box has been my best buy,being able to record two and watch one is almost black magic. Recording is so easy and finding items to watch from recorded list is a simple matter-remember the load of VCR tapes scrolling back and forth to find playing spot?,thankfully a thing of the past. No doubt the Hard disk recorder is the best invention of the past few years. I notice some TVs now come with a built in H/D. A real bonus is being able to transfer a recorded item to a DVD recorder-and simple to do.
Do I give the impression I like the V Box?

ARM987
And another person sees the light. At much less than about 5 feet or so, your eyes are incapable of resolving the difference between SD & HD. So unless you have your telly in the smallest room, save your cash.
hokkers999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 20:30   #34
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokkers999 View Post
And another person sees the light. At much less than about 5 feet or so, your eyes are incapable of resolving the difference between SD & HD. So unless you have your telly in the smallest room, save your cash.
Sorry to butt in, but I strongly disagree with that. I have a 50" 1080p Pioneer plasma and have been watching HD content through blu-ray and gaming (X360 mostly). The difference to my eyes between HD, and upscalled SD is absolutely night and day. So much so I have totally given up on watching SD DVDs, and now watch movies exclusively in high-def. I love high-def sound too, with Dolby True HD and raw PCM being a nice upgrade over crusty old Dolby Digital.

I'm currently trying to decide between Sky HD and Virgin V+ for my regular TV viewing. Obviously Sky's larger roster of HD content is compelling but I don't know if I could stomach giving money to Rupert Murdoch. It's really too bad Virgin have been lagging so terribly on the HD front. I read they are planning to launch another 5 HD channels this year? Does anyone know what they may be? (other than Channel 4 HD, which I assume must be due to launch any day now)
moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 21:44   #35
higgsfield
Inactive

higgsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Gibberish. It depends on the size of the screen and the viewing distance.
higgsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 02:21   #36
hokkers999
cf.addict

hokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgsfield View Post
Gibberish. It depends on the size of the screen and the viewing distance.
It does, it isn't gibberish. Been done to death before, even HD fans admit that to see the difference on 32 or 37 inchers need to be viewing at 5-6 feet or so. In my lounge can't get that close to the telly without blocking everyone else's view.

No I don't live in a mansion room size is only 17x12. Nearest seat to screen is about 8 feet, at that distance telly needs to be 65" +
hokkers999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 02:49   #37
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It does, it isn't gibberish. Been done to death before, even HD fans admit that to see the difference on 32 or 37 inchers need to be viewing at 5-6 feet or so. In my lounge can't get that close to the telly without blocking everyone else's view.

No I don't live in a mansion room size is only 17x12. Nearest seat to screen is about 8 feet, at that distance telly needs to be 65" +
It depends on a few things like size of TV, viewing distance and HD source (1080p or 720p), you cant just pick and choose different numbers without confirming what sizes you are actually talking about, see here -

http://rob-the.geek.nz/wp-content/up...tion_chart.png
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 04:06   #38
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

From personal experience, I have noticed a massively better picture on a smaller screen than the bigger ones.

I think the bigger the screen, the more pixels should be covered (720/1080 beyond) and that is where the next generation of HD Formats will come in, and give us a miles better picture on current sizes (42-60+)
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 08:58   #39
higgsfield
Inactive

higgsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
so, you actually agree. It depends also on the viewing distance.

By the way - I watch at 3m from a 37" screen and the difference is very clear.
Old 27-03-2008, 18:43   #40
Clevett10
Inactive

Services: Virgin V+ (XL) , Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii , Philips 37PF5520D 37" HD LCD and 2mb broadband
Clevett10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Clevett10

Hi All sorry to jump in the convosation like this but.....

I have V+ (all the bits included, sports etc). and was just wanted to know the best connection that people are using to there TV

I myself am using HDMI to DVI and outputting 1080 but 720 seems a tad better?

any reason for that ?

I have a Philips 37PF5520D 37 Inch HD tv with limited inputs and requires sooo much convertors its Madness check the link if your intrested!?

http://www.musthaveit.com/products/d...igital-tv/492/

Any views on this would be great!

Also i spoke to a Virgin Sales Rep... and they are "HOPING" to be getting HD Skysports and other sky services this September/October!

(but i have been told so much cra* before!)
Clevett10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 21:31   #41
higgsfield
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moroboshi View Post
I'm currently trying to decide between Sky HD and Virgin V+ for my regular TV viewing. Obviously Sky's larger roster of HD content is compelling but I don't know if I could stomach giving money to Rupert Murdoch.
That's EXACTLY how I feel!
Old 28-03-2008, 11:36   #42
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

@Clevett: This isn't really the thread for this, but I will say that Virgin staff lie like a cheap Rolex about the potential availability of HD Sky channels.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 23:10   #43
Pete2
Inactive

Pete2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

If you're suggesting that I can't tell the difference between SD & HD broadcasts at 8' on my Samsung 40" then I have to agree with higgsfield..gibberish..

Either I've got superhuman eyesight (which I probably haven't) or your SD is of far higher quality than mine. The difference is very very clear. Even my girlfriend, who's not really into techie stuff was blown away..said she never realised how much better HD would be..
Pete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 23:42   #44
higgsfield
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete2 View Post
If you're suggesting that I can't tell the difference between SD & HD broadcasts at 8' on my Samsung 40" then I have to agree with higgsfield..gibberish..
Welcome to the forum Pete.
Old 25-04-2008, 19:08   #45
ygododdin
Inactive

ygododdin is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this is the right place to get an answer. I have a v+ box which I've just connected to a new 23" Samsung HD ready via the HDMI. I've set the V+ to HDMI and it does the tests but resets itself to composite when it's finished. The only way I can see anything is through the co-ax. If I set the tv to use HDMI, I can't see the V+. What am I doing wrong?
ygododdin is offline   Reply With Quote