Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SkyQ What some may of missed,

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

SkyQ What some may of missed,

Old 19-11-2015, 16:08   #1
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough
SkyQ What some may of missed,

So everyone seems to be aware of the SkyQ Siliver 2Tb, The SkyQ 1Tb and the SkyQ mini. But what about the SkyQ Hub? Does this mean only those of us with SkyBB will be able to have SkyQ?

Assuming the SkyQ Hub replaces the Sr101/102. Scroll down on the link below an see the SkyQ hub is the only way SkyQ boxes can communicate.

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-q/equ...FYu6GwodlK4M7A

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

I also received an email yesterday telling me I will be one of the first to "discover the freedom of fluid viewing" an I have an exclusive invitation which will sent to me as soon as Sky-Q is available to order.

Has anyone NOT on Sky broadband received this Email? (Just curious)
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-11-2015, 16:14   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: SkyQ What some may of missed,

The Sky Q box looks like it supports both WiFi and Ethernet - so there doesn't seem to be a technical block to using it with other broadband providers.

However it's possible that the built in Powerline option may be specific to the Sky Q Hub

It's also possible that to control the initial launch experience, Sky Q may be restricted to Sky Broadband customers and require the Sky Q Hub.
Old 19-11-2015, 16:25   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: SkyQ What some may of missed,

No they way I read it is that the Hub is the new Sky BB router and will communicate with all your Q equipment, however if you have a Sky Q Silver and say 2 Q minis they will communicate with each other by WiFi or ethernet and will use your 'home broadband' for online stuff no matter what broadband you have.

Its possible the WiFi extender feature may only work with Sky BB, but that hopefully won't be the case.

Edit from the explore page

Quote:
Only Sky Broadband turns Sky Q boxes into Wi-Fi hotspots giving you the strongest Wi-Fi signal and the best coverage throughout your home.
So I don't think you need Sky BB to get Sky Q but only if you have sky BB will you be able to use the hotspot features of the boxes.