Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 13-12-2011, 17:28   #511
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveqpr View Post
Thanks for the replies DF and Lew - yeah, I've been messing about with the TV settings however there's definitely a difference which is a real shame.

As I mentioned previously, I dunno if this is something that I can live with in a hope that it might get addressed in a future update. It'll be interesting to see what the wife thinks of the picture when she comes home from work and whether she notices any difference in quality - my guess is that she won't even notice!

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a cry for help, just some added thoughts to the thread to keep it ticking over.
What difference are you seeing?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2011, 18:25   #512
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I agree with andy m - give the Tivo box a week or so before you judge picture quality. I swapped an excellent V+ picture for a Tivo on a Panasonic TX-L37S10B. Despite making adjustments to the picture settings I was at first appalled by the Tivo picture quality on bothe SD and HD (very woolly) but magically it has improved over the last couple of weeks and is now excellent. I cannot explain why or how this has happened.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:29   #513
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

I don't think the issue is the Tivo box itself, but a matter of how the signal "beds down" after Tivo is installed. No facts to back this up, just a view as Tivo is sensitive to signal strength.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 20:06   #514
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

My parents TIVO is connected to a Panny plasma and the picture quality is excellent on both SD and HD , no issues at all with it.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 20:07   #515
carmad
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Tivo 1TB/Vivid200
carmad has a spectacular aura about themcarmad has a spectacular aura about themcarmad has a spectacular aura about themcarmad has a spectacular aura about them

Both SD & HD picture are perfect and as good as the V+ on my TX-P42X10B Panasonic Plasma
They were noticeably poor before the update.
carmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 20:21   #516
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

I just got a new Samsung 3D PS43D490 (Plasma) and the picture quality is better than my old Phillips 37PFL5522D (LCD) using the TiVo both in SD and HD
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 23:19   #517
steveqpr
Inactive

steveqpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to confirm what a lot of responses have alluded to, the picture has definitely improved over the last couple of days. I wouldn't say that it's quite at the same standard as my V+ Box but it's certainly getting there. Strange that a piece of equipment like this needs a 'bedding in' process but it does seem to be the case, certainly in this instance.

I'm grateful for all of the responses, despite being an infrequent poster on these forums, I've been a member for a good few years and visit on a regular basis - the wealth of experience and knowledge of some users is invaluable. Thanks again.
steveqpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 23:47   #518
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

When I get a chance over the weekend I'll take some proper comparison shots as I have a TiVo and Samsung V+ connected to the same TV.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 13:26   #519
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
When I get a chance over the weekend I'll take some proper comparison shots as I have a TiVo and Samsung V+ connected to the same TV.
That would be really helpful, especially closeups of HD iPlayer content streamed via the V+ interface versus the TiVo app, so people can clearly see the difference between right and wrong field order handling.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 17:09   #520
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveqpr View Post
Just to confirm what a lot of responses have alluded to, the picture has definitely improved over the last couple of days. I wouldn't say that it's quite at the same standard as my V+ Box but it's certainly getting there. Strange that a piece of equipment like this needs a 'bedding in' process but it does seem to be the case, certainly in this instance.
You'd be surprised how many do, it is recomended you run a TV for 3 months before having it calibrated, and your blu-ray player can take as much as 30 mins from cold to be at optimal picture quality.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 21:59   #521
george.bailey
Permanently Banned

george.bailey is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand the TV wearing in, but what's the deal with bluray player needing half hour?!
george.bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 16:27   #522
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

OK, I've taken a few comparison shots on the same TV between the TiVo and the Samsung V+ box.

For info:

The TV is a Sony KDL-40EX403 1080P LCD with both boxes connected via HDMI. The settings for each input are set identically.

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 set to full manual mode, f8 1/3.2 mounted on a tripod and on a 2 second timer to prevent shake.

There may be some minor differences that are due to the TV's backlight changing due to the on-screen picture. I've tried to avoid this where possible.

Firstly, here's my original shot of channel 999 on the 15.1 software from this post.

This is the TiVo on the 15.2 code.

This is the Samsung V+ box.

And a close-up on the word "help"; TiVo first, followed by the Samsung V+ box.

Here are a few more shots of some other SD channels. In all cases the TiVo is shown first, followed by the Samsung V+ box.

ESPN America:

Sky Sports News:

BBC News:

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 17:09   #523
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for doing that.

You can see that the TiVo picture quailty has improved since 15.2 update.

I would say the TiVo picture quailty looks same , maybe even slighty better than the Samsung V+ box.
HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 11:56   #524
brava210
Inactive

Services: Virgin V+,TiVo, BB-10MB Panasonic 50", AE 5.1, Pioneer VSX920 Amp, Harmony One.
brava210 is on a distinguished roadbrava210 is on a distinguished road

Thanks lew for taking the time to do the comparisons

Gary
brava210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 12:42   #525
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Yes thanks to Lew. Puts the matter to rest as far as I'm concerned-every bit as good as v+, and arguably better.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote