Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is anyone else finding HDD space a problem after Sky HD?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Is anyone else finding HDD space a problem after Sky HD?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:37   #1
Jameseh

Is anyone else finding HDD space a problem after Sky HD?

I ordered the Sky HD channels about 3 days ago and twice my box has been on 'critical' with less than one page of recordings. I recorded about 6 films from Sky Movies HD alongside those two episodes of Doctor Who that aired on BBC HD at the weekend and that was enough to fill the entire Hard Drive.

Is anyone else finding this a somewhat severe problem?
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2010, 03:48   #2
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
Re: Is anyone else finding HDD space a problem after Sky HD?

HD takes 4 times the hours (or around that value - can be even more if the films are long) more space so that is likely to where your space has gone.

I've noticed it on my HDD after recording 4 HD items and about 1 or 2 pages of SD.

---------- Post added at 02:48 ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 ----------

Also just to add, the hours remaining at the top of the screen represents SD programs ONLY
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:46   #3
Nanor
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with V+ : VM XL BB : VM M Telephone with Talk International
Nanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the roughNanor is a jewel in the rough

Must say that this is the one downfall of V+ boxes, the storage is completely inadequate for HD. With the big push to HD it's a problem that really needs to be addressed.

I've always found 80 hours adequate for my needs and only ever got to the critical notice once when recording SD. With HD recording I'll have to be a lot more selective in what I record as space will be a real issue.
Nanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:57   #4
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I've taken to reducing the padding at the end of HD recordings (you don't need any if recording Sky Movies as they always end earlier than the published time, and ten mins padding if HD soon adds up) but it's still a big problem.
A film like Inglourious Basterds (or however it's mis-spelled) is two and a half hours long with no padding so in HD that's taking up over ten hours on the hard disk. Eight of those and your disk is full.
No chance of recording a series in HD for later viewing so I'm not recording anything off BBC HD at the moment - I record it in SD and if it is available in HD on demand when I get around to watching it fine, if not the regular BBC channels is good enough.
The only HD recordings I'm making are of movies, and I'm keeping five or six on a sort of rotation basis. At least with Sky and Film4 films are kept in such frequent rotation it's not a matter of miss it and you have to wait an age for it to return...
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:12   #5
dan dority
cf.member

Services: XL tv and sports L broadband
dan dority will become famous soon enoughdan dority will become famous soon enoughdan dority will become famous soon enough

yes this is a problem for me too , now i just record one hd film and watch it before i record another.
i also had to go through my series links and delete a few
i love my sports be it football,boxing.golf.tennis.darts.formula 1 etc and
im a bit worried about when the football season starts up and i am wanting to record maybe 3 or 4 matches on a weekend,its only a matter of time before i miss a bit of crucial sport.
now my samsung v+ is not so appealling as i once thought it to be.
dan dority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 19:05   #6
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I've found it a problem so I record less BBC shows, hoping to watch them in HD on iplayer within a week, or SD after a week.

They time remaining also seems to be a guesstimate at best, as I've seen it go up after deleting a programme!
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 22:14   #7
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough

I knew from the off I'd have less space, and if you don't pay attention it can disappear very quickly.

What hasn't helped is that I'd upgraded the HD in my skyHD box, and could record piles of stuff before getting even half full.

On the flip side, it's good because it makes me watch stuff, rather than just horde it.
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 11:10   #8
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Space is definitely becoming an issue now. I tend to record quite a few films off Sky Movies and then save them for a rainy day. When the movies are taking around 10 hours worth of space you're very limited to what you can keep. It's becoming a bit of a race to watch things before it fills up now. VM really need to come up with a solution here, whether it by HDD upgrades or external drives. I know the TIVO box is on the way, but it still remains to be seen when and for how much.
kgollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 13:55   #9
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

A couple of years back I stated the hard drive was too small, It was obvious as soon as a few HD channels arrived recording would be a problem, It wouldn't take much to swap over a bigger drive.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 14:26   #10
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

At the end of the day it's not designed as long term storage anyway
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 14:44   #11
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
indeed, it's for short term recording/personal scheduling. Expect more space to come with TIVO.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 15:15   #12
kgollop
cf.geek

kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Granted. However, when Sky One HD and BBC One HD are here I don't think I'll be recording anything in SD (or very little if so). 20 hours of HD recording is very, very little in my eyes. I'm a little concerned I'll have to splash out £250 on a TIVO box, when all I need is a £40 hard drive that I could easily fit myself if T&C's allowed.

I also think it would be nice of there was a preference to change your default hours remaining from "SD hours" to "HD hours". 80 hours really is quite meaningless if you don't record SD! Alternatively they could just change it to be % free.
Old 15-08-2010, 15:25   #13
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Granted. However, when Sky One HD and BBC One HD are here I don't think I'll be recording anything in SD (or very little if so). 20 hours of HD recording is very, very little in my eyes. I'm a little concerned I'll have to splash out £250 on a TIVO box, when all I need is a £40 hard drive that I could easily fit myself if T&C's allowed.

I also think it would be nice of there was a preference to change your default hours remaining from "SD hours" to "HD hours". 80 hours really is quite meaningless if you don't record SD! Alternatively they could just change it to be % free.
no pricing has been released for TIVO... I'd be suprised if VM charged £250 though!

Yeah 0% would be better now, especially with all the new HD channels, again something I'd expect from the TIVO software.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 16:15   #14
kgollop
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
no pricing has been released for TIVO... I'd be suprised if VM charged £250 though!

Yeah 0% would be better now, especially with all the new HD channels, again something I'd expect from the TIVO software.
Fingers crossed you are right DF
Old 15-08-2010, 21:05   #15
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
indeed, it's for short term recording/personal scheduling. Expect more space to come with TIVO.
Surely its down to the individual as to how long he keeps the recording, I've not read anywhere that says its designed for short term recording, I thought the idea of a hard drive is for storage. A 160 Gb hard drive is pittiful for the job it needs to do, Why should we expect more to come from tivo, if its built to Virgin spec there could be a lot of disappointed customers, instead of speculation on Tivo we should wait till the final product is released then we can boast about the spec or complain how poor an upgrade it was.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote