Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Plex home server

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Plex home server

Old 20-07-2017, 22:13   #1
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold
Plex home server

I am planning on setting up a plex home server

Will this be good enough to run it

I will be also adding Plex Live TV & DVR to it in the future
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-07-2017, 00:10   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Plex home server

Yes it will be perfect, might want to check out the QNAP NAS drives as well, they support H265 encoding and are much smaller than a mini-ITX setup for around the same price you will throw at a full PC build.

I run the QNAP ts-453a with 4x4TB drives and its perfect for H265 and 4K streaming.

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 21:55   #3
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Yes, those specs are fine for Plex. You won't regret it - it's awesome.
Old 22-07-2017, 22:16   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Will this be an option?

I have a 2 & 3TB WD NAS drives which are both connected to my Router, I can access the Music and Video on them from all my "Connected" devices (TVs, Blu-Rays, Xboxes Phones & Tablets)

Plus I can and have accessed via my phones data connection.
Old 24-07-2017, 23:01   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Yes it will be perfect, might want to check out the QNAP NAS drives as well, they support H265 encoding and are much smaller than a mini-ITX setup for around the same price you will throw at a full PC build.

I run the QNAP ts-453a with 4x4TB drives and its perfect for H265 and 4K streaming.

HTH
Are you sure that the A version can handle H265? From their website only the B version, eg TS-453B can handle H265 and 4K.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 11:18   #6
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

I cheated with my Plex setup...

I just rent a server from Hetzner so i can access it anywhere due to the 1gb upload...

Well worth the 30 euro per month...

16GB RAM
6TB space
Intel Core i7

Would recommend the data centre route if you are looking to stream outside your network, or plan on remote users watching your content
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote