Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 30-03-2017, 15:47   #61
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes, sorry I said that above, but not in reply.

The requirements to use Virgin Media WiFi when you have a Hub 3.0 are:

Opted in
In Router Mode
2.4GHz switched on

If or when the 2ac is added to the wireless network these requirements would apply to customers with the 2ac as well.

All Hub 3.0 customers have or will get information that explains the addition of their Hub 3.0 to Virgin Media WiFi.
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow here ! So, if you've got a shub2ac, in modem mode but not opted out in MY VM you have access? The requirement not to be in modem mode is only if you have a shub3 ? If so best to reject any 'upgrades' to a shub3 ?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2017, 15:51   #62
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow here ! So, if you've got a shub2ac, in modem mode but not opted out in MY VM you have access?
You can't opt out or not in My VM if you have a 2ac as it's not currently part for the Virgin Media WiFi network. So the rules around the state of your SuperHub can't apply, so don't affect access to the Virgin Media WiFi service.

If you were to swap to a Hub 3.0 for whatever reason, then the device rules for the Hub 3.0 would then apply to your access to Virgin Media WiFi.

The only exception to this when you have a Hub 3.0 is if you're also a Virgin Mobile customer. Your eligibility for access to Virgin Media WiFi is then built in to your SIM, and has no connection to your home broadband connection.

Last edited by BenMcr; 30-03-2017 at 15:56.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 16:16   #63
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You can't opt out or not in My VM if you have a 2ac as it's not currently part for the Virgin Media WiFi network. So the rules around the state of your SuperHub can't apply, so don't affect access to the Virgin Media WiFi service.

Beg to differ Ben, I do have the opt in/out option in MyVM and I have a shub2ac .

So guess I have access, in theory, if it ever comes to my area and as long as I don't get a shub 3.
Old 30-03-2017, 16:23   #64
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The opt out option shouldn't currently be there, but it could be connected with the rollout and then rollback of the 2ac code to enable them for Virgin Media WiFi.

Currently you have access to Virgin Media WiFi usage as a broadband customer, and when Hub 3.0s are enabled in your area your mobile device that has the app on would connect to them (when you're not connected to your home WiFi).

If the 2ac hotspot code is then rolled out again your opt out choice would then be valid.
Old 30-03-2017, 20:32   #65
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Is there a difference between the hub provided wifi and the Tube wifi? IE, if I'm in modem mode will I be able to use the tube wifi and not the hub 3 shared stuff, or is it just all disabled?

Because if its the latter that is an amazing own goal.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 20:37   #66
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

You can still use the older open SSID LU WiFi service at the moment. I don't know what the longer term plans for that access are for VM customers will be (the system itself exist for visitor access and other mobile networks).

But to use the secure SSID service in the London Underground then you need to use the Virgin Media WiFi app and therefore need to meet the eligibility for that.
Old 31-03-2017, 17:02   #67
amarkr
cf.member

amarkr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The opt out option shouldn't currently be there, but it could be connected with the rollout and then rollback of the 2ac code to enable them for Virgin Media WiFi.
I have a plain SHUB2 (from the original trial) and My VM shows the opt out option on my account
amarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 17:50   #68
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

So what about people like me, I'm on shub1

And I have to use modem mode, because the wi-fi is so crap it won't reach around the house -which incidentally means if I were to subject myself to router mode again, no bugger would get a signal from the street anyway.

But hey ho, I could use other people's hubs - well unless they're shub 1, those people are lucky to get a signal for themselves, let alone anyone else.

poor poor poor.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 00:42   #69
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

So as it stands:

If you have anything other than a Hub 3.0 then as broadband customer you can use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device.

If you have a Hub 3.0, then as a broadband customer to use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device you have allow your Hub 3.0 to be part of the Virgin Media WiFi broadcast network.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:44   #70
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
So as it stands:

If you have anything other than a Hub 3.0 then as broadband customer you can use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device.

If you have a Hub 3.0, then as a broadband customer to use the Virgin Media WiFi service on a compatible device you have allow your Hub 3.0 to be part of the Virgin Media WiFi broadcast network.
Thanks for the clarification. Though it is bizarre.
Moral of the story is don't get a shub3 if you use modem mode.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:53   #71
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

What showed up when you checked for the existing wifi profiles?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:44   #72
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
So as it stands:

If this is true then VM have a lot to answer for.

I was told by CS tech department that I had to have a Shub 3 if I was to have 300 Mb. They told me that they are not issuing Shub 2s for new customers.

In my discussions with them over connection problems I was having at the time, they acknowledged that the built-in option for modem only is a customer retention strategy. That being so, they really do need to develop Shub 3 software that allows modem only and public WiFi.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:49   #73
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

Quote:
What showed up when you checked for the existing wifi profiles?
I sorted it Ben, hence my post deletion, it seems to be ok - just need to find some hot spots now shame it didn't hook into the BT ones, those are everywhere, but unless you're a BT customer, it costs a small fortune to use them sadly.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:17   #74
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I sorted it Ben, hence my post deletion, it seems to be ok - just need to find some hot spots now shame it didn't hook into the BT ones, those are everywhere, but unless you're a BT customer, it costs a small fortune to use them sadly.
You can still connect to BTFON and any FON hotspot worldwide for the one-off outlay of a few pounds. All you need is a Fonera SIMPL, follow instructions to register it on the FON network and off you go. You need to keep your SIMPL running as a hotspot for your access to be maintained.

I have being doing this for years. Most BTFON hotspots work, including my neighbour's.

https://www.amazon.com/Fonera-Simpl-.../dp/B00SZAC4PG

Please note that some of the older Fonera models are no longer compatible with the FON network.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5107980
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:28   #75
techguyone
Deus Vult

Interesting, but no good for me, I as wanting to be able to connect my phone to these places when I'm out and about. In my part ofthe world many of the 'free wi-fi's' in stores/pubs/restaurants etc is a BT one, where you connect to an open wi-fi only to find a web page with a 'connect for only £3/hr or £30 for a day or similar.