Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 04-02-2017, 11:13   #1111
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
BIB i second this completely the fully loaded boxes tend to be full of crap and most are fakes, i got my Android box from gearbest all it had was Android 5 on it nothing else and i knew it was genuine, i have in past fallen victim of fully loaded boxes when i bought a m8 of ebay was a pile of junk and fake i was lucky as got a full refund from seller, but now i have a genuine t95 box, kodi is very easy to install you get it from the google play store.
I remember kodi too in it's xbmc days on xbox a great media software, still is today under the kodi name.
I never use these wizards or builds i create my own build for my use only.
And to prove my wild west comment it seems even one of the most trusted 3rd party sources can't actually be trusted!

https://torrentfreak.com/popular-kod...botnet-170203/
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2017, 12:42   #1112
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
And to prove my wild west comment it seems even one of the most trusted 3rd party sources can't actually be trusted!

https://torrentfreak.com/popular-kod...botnet-170203/
Also the author has recoded that particular addon to remove the botnet code, he did the botnet code as a group called Anonymous (not the hacking group) stole his code and copy and pasted it into their own addon, his coding was to strike at that particular group but unfortuantly it targeted others so Lambda the authour of that addon mentioned in the article updated it again removing the botnet code.
I've used kodi with addons for years and never had any issues, then again i only use it on my android tv box which has no personal info on it anyway and use a vpn too.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:46   #1113
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I was quite interested in Kodi as it appeared to offer so much additional content. However, it seems to me that unless you get the addons which give you access to pirated material, there's not really much there of any interest.

I am not prepared to go down the content piracy route as it doesn't feel right to me. What we are doing by watching it is denying proper payment to the content provider, which damages the whole industry, added to which I am not convinced by those who say that watching content by this means is perfectly legal. I don't see how it can be, as the viewer is basically watching stuff that is offered in return for payment. And we all know what it amounts to if you take possession of something you haven't paid for, don't we?

The lesson for content providers is to stop doing these exclusive deals and putting in place other restrictions so that we can all gain legitimate access to the programmes we want to watch without paying an arm and a leg for doing so. I am sure that, in the end, a way will be found to prevent piracy more effectively, but I will not be taking advantage of this loophole in the meantime.

Besides, with Netflix, Amazon, Now TV and my cable subscription, I can view most things that I want to see. But not everyone can afford that, and I do wonder if a solution may lie in 'the cloud' whereby everyone can obtain access to content for a reasonable price without having to subscribe to multiple content providers. This could work by payment of a subscription that would allow access to a given number of hours of content over the course of a month, which could be tiered as well to reflect the value of that content.

That would, to my mind, make for a more 'equal society' in terms of access to programming.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 17:45   #1114
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

.... and another legal route will be Sky's "cable" service when it launches next year, as long as your broadband connection is decent enough.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm not reading that the same as you Old Boy , I'm reading that as they see Netflix now positioning itself as a Premium channel in the sense of an HBO however On Demand rather than linear. Let's face it Netflix wants its service to be available on pay tv providers boxes , it's all ready available on Virgin and Youview and would love to be on Sky. In the USA it's struck a deal with Comcast and is available on Dish Network.

With must see Originals it appeals more to pay tv providers , more than it did when it was just merely a catalogue of older boxsets of shows.
That's right.

Netflix has been saying for ages that they want to be like HBO's "channel."

Netflix knew that in the future as their popularity increased, they would get squeezed by the major media companies which would make the cost of buying in tv and films from others too high. Hence why they went down the route of making their own stuff.

But of course the whole point of Netflix is to watch films and tv from various different companies all in one place.

Whether their strategy works out in the long run, remains to be see.
Old 05-02-2017, 17:39   #1115
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
.... and another legal route will be Sky's "cable" service when it launches next year, as long as your broadband connection is decent enough.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

That's right.

Netflix has been saying for ages that they want to be like HBO's "channel."

Netflix knew that in the future as their popularity increased, they would get squeezed by the major media companies which would make the cost of buying in tv and films from others too high. Hence why they went down the route of making their own stuff.

But of course the whole point of Netflix is to watch films and tv from various different companies all in one place.

Whether their strategy works out in the long run, remains to be see.
It does worry me that we could end up with a situation in which each studio has its own 'on demand' portal with separate subscriptions or pay per view. This could make things very expensive and it would encourage more piracy if the content on those platforms was exclusive.

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Here we go....

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201702054...#axzz4XpUHnOWK

The eleventh-hour settlement of the high-profile carriage dispute between Sky and Discovery is not likely to be the end of the discussion as to what those channels are really worth.

The deal means that Sky subscribers will continue to enjoy Discovery’s bouquet of 12 thematic genre channels, yet it must be noted that according to Futuresource Consulting analysis, comparing data for the last seven months of 2016 with the same period for 2014 shows that Discovery’s ratings (excluding Eurosport) have declined, while Sky’s share of eyeballs has remained the same. That backs up Sky’s original beef with the programmer.

“The disagreement was simple – Sky said Discovery’s viewing on its platforms had fallen and it did not want to pay what was being asked to renew their long-term carriage agreement,” said Futuresource analyst John Bird. “Discovery said it was being paid less than it was 10 years ago, despite Sky subscription price rises and a claimed 20% increase in viewing of its channels on Sky platforms (the acquisition of Sky Germany and Italy in this period may well be a factor behind this assertion).”

But Bird added that the falling viewership was “almost certainly” due in a large part to the cannibalisation impact of on-demand viewing on traditional linear multichannel TV.
Old 05-02-2017, 18:38   #1116
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I was quite interested in Kodi as it appeared to offer so much additional content. However, it seems to me that unless you get the addons which give you access to pirated material, there's not really much there of any interest.

I am not prepared to go down the content piracy route as it doesn't feel right to me. What we are doing by watching it is denying proper payment to the content provider, which damages the whole industry, added to which I am not convinced by those who say that watching content by this means is perfectly legal. I don't see how it can be, as the viewer is basically watching stuff that is offered in return for payment. And we all know what it amounts to if you take possession of something you haven't paid for, don't we?

The lesson for content providers is to stop doing these exclusive deals and putting in place other restrictions so that we can all gain legitimate access to the programmes we want to watch without paying an arm and a leg for doing so. I am sure that, in the end, a way will be found to prevent piracy more effectively, but I will not be taking advantage of this loophole in the meantime.

Besides, with Netflix, Amazon, Now TV and my cable subscription, I can view most things that I want to see. But not everyone can afford that, and I do wonder if a solution may lie in 'the cloud' whereby everyone can obtain access to content for a reasonable price without having to subscribe to multiple content providers. This could work by payment of a subscription that would allow access to a given number of hours of content over the course of a month, which could be tiered as well to reflect the value of that content.

That would, to my mind, make for a more 'equal society' in terms of access to programming.
For full disclosure I am no angel and have fractured the odd copyright law online for a couple of decades at least.

That being said I am somewhere in the middle of your moral stance.
To give an example, whilst I have free access to almost every sporting event I would wish to watch via my kind friend in America who gave me the login to their cable account I still pay for the events I can get on British TV, but that is on a PPV basis with Now TV or by giving a family member £5 a month to have BT Sports added to their BT account for me to use.
People may think I'm foolish to pay out for things I could watch for free but I prefer to pay my way when its an option and only use my alternative methods when the event is denied me on British TV, what I will never do again is pay VM, Sky or anyone else for a load of crap I don't want to get access to the things I do want.

Kodi is actually a really good platform to play your locally stored content, legal services as well as being a great PVR.
Unfortunately apart from BBC Iplayer and UKTV Player the other British broadcasters have pretty much closed off Kodi's access to their service but the same can't be said for the US, with the main exception of HBO (which I don't need as I get Sky Atlantic via Now TV) an awful lot of the US broadcasters services are available via (legit) Kodi addons.

With regards to the main point of this thread and the future of linear TV I am again occupying the middle ground,
pretty much all of my media consumption is via on demand/OTT services, I honestly can't remember the last time I switched on live TV to be entertained with the large exception of watching live sports or the latest news.
Actually I guess this paragraph isn't the middle ground but it shows there are some things that linear channels still need to be there for!
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 19:52   #1117
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
For full disclosure I am no angel and have fractured the odd copyright law online for a couple of decades at least.

That being said I am somewhere in the middle of your moral stance.
To give an example, whilst I have free access to almost every sporting event I would wish to watch via my kind friend in America who gave me the login to their cable account I still pay for the events I can get on British TV, but that is on a PPV basis with Now TV or by giving a family member £5 a month to have BT Sports added to their BT account for me to use.
People may think I'm foolish to pay out for things I could watch for free but I prefer to pay my way when its an option and only use my alternative methods when the event is denied me on British TV, what I will never do again is pay VM, Sky or anyone else for a load of crap I don't want to get access to the things I do want.

Kodi is actually a really good platform to play your locally stored content, legal services as well as being a great PVR.
Unfortunately apart from BBC Iplayer and UKTV Player the other British broadcasters have pretty much closed off Kodi's access to their service but the same can't be said for the US, with the main exception of HBO (which I don't need as I get Sky Atlantic via Now TV) an awful lot of the US broadcasters services are available via (legit) Kodi addons.

With regards to the main point of this thread and the future of linear TV I am again occupying the middle ground,
pretty much all of my media consumption is via on demand/OTT services, I honestly can't remember the last time I switched on live TV to be entertained with the large exception of watching live sports or the latest news.
Actually I guess this paragraph isn't the middle ground but it shows there are some things that linear channels still need to be there for!
Thank you for sharing that with us.

Just one thing, I completely agree that some things are best watched live, but you can still watch live events as they happen by way of streaming. For example, the BBC i-player enables you watch your channel as it is currently broadcasting. I am sure that this is the way that linear TV will be accessed in future, rather than via conventional broadcast channels.
Old 07-02-2017, 14:35   #1118
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

In a further indication that more streaming services may become available with their own pricing and exclusive content, things are looking to get a bit pricey over time. All the more reason for providers such as VM to seek wholesale deals and bundle them together, although this will not be easy with companies like Sky, one presumes.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/65742...-says-murdoch/

Going OTT is an ‘option’ for Fox, says Murdoch

Direct-to-consumer streaming is an “option” for 21st Century Fox in the US market, and the company has the expertise to launch such an offering, according to CEO James Murdoch.

Speaking to analysts after Fox announced its latest quarterly figures. Murdoch said that Fox was focused primarily on developing its authenticated streaming service in partnership with pay TV providers for now.

However, he said, it remains “an option for us in the future” to develop “independently priced access to that suite of apps”.

Murdoch said that while Fox had not yet decided to go down that route, such an approach is “one that we feel we have the capability and the wherewithal and experience in terms of managing direct-to-consumer and subscriber businesses to tackle”.

Murdoch said that Fox had successfully developed a direct-to-consumer OTT proposition in India with its Hotstar platform. “Whether or not there’s a future for us in, for example, the way that CBS has taken some steps in the US is a decision that we can take at a later date,” he said.

Murdoch said that for now Fox was “very focused” on the authenticated partnership model, including developing services for “new digital MVPD partners” such as Sling Media, DirectTV Now, Hulu’s new platform and Google’s forthcoming service.

In his opening remarks on the call, he said that Fox would launch a “major overhaul” of its streaming apps “within the next few months”.

Murdoch’s comments came as 21st posted Q2 revenues of US$7.68 billion, up 4%, and operating income before depreciation and amortization of US$1.99 billion, up 15%.

Addressing Fox’s planned acquisition of the 61% of Sky that it doesn’t already own, Murdoch said that the deal represented a “major step” in “a long process that started a number of years ago” to realign Fox “around the future of video”. He said that “the combination of strengths required to operate a high-volume content business and a vast international video platform business is precisely the combination of strengths that we’re developing”. Murdoch said that using the company’s core strength in content to build a platform that reflected the long-term trends of high-speed connectivity, proliferation of end-user display devices and the opportunity to access content in the cloud “presents one of the most promising opportunities for our company in decades”.

Fox co-executive chairman Lachlan Murdoch said that the deal would “deliver more balanced revenue streams and geographic spread” and simplify the group’s “structure and operating model” as well as being “significantly accretive to our earnings per share and our free cash-flow”.
Old 12-02-2017, 15:10   #1119
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

It seems that there is an acknowledgement that the number of interruptions by commercials on TV is deterring viewers from watching conventional TV channels. This, of course, is what I believe will drive an ever increasing proportion of the TV audience to streaming services.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...any-ads-on-tv/

Disney’s Iger: “Too many ads on TV”

Ad-free services from the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime are seemingly impressing Disney CEO Bob Iger, who has said he believes there are too many commercial interruptions on TV.

Iger added that he and his team were looking at reducing the number of adverts carried by Disney-owned sports channel ESPN and national network ABC. “I think in today’s world we have to be mindful of the number of commercial interruptions,” he said.

This opens up another possibility that could actually prolong the survival of our broadcast TV channels. If broadcasters concentrated their advertisements between, rather than during programmes, this would cause less upset or resistance among viewers and possibly even reduce the outflow towards streaming services. This would of course mean that the cost of advertising would be greater, but the smaller channels could benefit from this if companies with a smaller advertising spend found themselves priced out of the market in terms of the mass audience channels.

In my view, this alone would not be sufficient to save the broadcast channels, given the rigid set schedules broadcasters have to work to, but maybe 'red button' services could be expanded to provide the convenience of accessing more programmes on demand over a longer time span (say 3 to 4 months or even a year).
Old 13-02-2017, 02:35   #1120
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I said earlier in the thread old boy, that I reckon there will be casualties soon. There cannot be main/broadcast channels, millions of sat/cable channels, sat/cable on demand and streaming. They can't all survive.

I still believe there will be a core set of broadcast channels that will survive which will include the main networks and perhaps a few satellite/cable channels too.

As far as the American main channels go, if they do reduce the ads or even shunt them to between the programmes, then yes they will carry on too.

I said before that I reckon the main channels in the future will be like "shop windows" which will highlight all the goodies for viewers. This can be for both new and old shows. So a channel like ABC might show the first 6 episodes of The West Wing for a few weeks to get viewers interested and then you'd watch the rest on demand.

So in perhaps in future channel schedules, there could be say a 8pm slot everyday that highlights the best new shows and the cream of the crop from the past. And once viewers are enticed into the shop, they are then shepherded to the on demand services to continue watching the show highlighted in the slot.

For me, linear viewing finished years ago and I will never go back. I choose exactly what I want to watch and when, and never watch any adverts. (They should pay me if someone wants to advertise to me!).

Last edited by Horizon; 13-02-2017 at 03:08.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 09:19   #1121
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Dish TV surprises by adding TV subscribers!

Predicted to lose 87,000 TV subscribers.
Actually gained 28,000 TV subscribers.

But reality is that its new customers are those subscribing to a lower-priced Now TV-type service and not its higher priced satellite service.
http://fortune.com/2017/02/22/dish-network-sling-tv/
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 11:45   #1122
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...-the-internet/

He defended ‘binge viewing’, suggesting that most linear networks would adopt the model, drawing an analogy with reading a novel. “The original binge view was the novel. You got to stay up late, you could do it at your leisure, it was portable, you could take it to the beach. The Internet has brought back binge viewing. You’re going to see most linear networks convert to binge viewing,” he predicted.

Hastings is so wrong about this. Linear TV is not the place for back to back programmes. There are very few people who can spare the time to watch a whole series in one sitting. Linear TV simply isn't the place to go for binge viewing and if they did this, it would lead to the more rapid loss of viewers over time than even I have been forecasting.

Instead of trying to emulate the trends we have seen from the streaming phenomenon, broadcast TV needs to build on its own strengths, or they will lose everything very quickly.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 28-02-2017 at 11:55.
Old 28-02-2017, 12:39   #1123
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

The problem the likes of Sky , VM and BT have is they can't keep up with the pace that the likes of Netflix and Amazon develop products and services at.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 13:27   #1124
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The problem the likes of Sky , VM and BT have is they can't keep up with the pace that the likes of Netflix and Amazon develop products and services at.
So l gather you share the same opinions as our veritable OB?.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:51   #1125
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
YouTube takes on cable with new TV service
YouTube has launched a $35-a-month TV subscription service that will rival US cable networks.
The live TV service will carry more than 40 channels, including some of the coutnry's biggest networks including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and ESPN.
The service will also include a "cloud DVR" that will let users record and store programming.
One analyst told the BBC that YouTube posed a real threat to traditional cable companies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39124092
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote