Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 21-04-2014, 22:48   #1231
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

He also points out that the No campaign is struggling still. I hope they think of something to turn this around.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2014, 22:54   #1232
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The No campaign's poster campaign was launched this weekend. Labour is now (finally) taking the campaign seriously; the shadow cabinet is due to meet in Scotland and a certain G. Brown is making a keynote speech tomorrow.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 23:18   #1233
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The No campaign's poster campaign was launched this weekend. Labour is now (finally) taking the campaign seriously; the shadow cabinet is due to meet in Scotland and a certain G. Brown is making a keynote speech tomorrow.
I like the more positive approach to their poster campaign. I do feel it has been relentless negative at this point. However I also concede that it's hard to make a positive case for the status-quo without it being almost negative by default, i.e you'll lose all this if you leave. It's much easier to be positive when you don't have reality and much harder when your vision has all the flaws in the open for people to see. Salmond is having a great time portraying a problem-free Scotland.

Still anything closer than 60/40 to No is worrying. It doesn't leave much room to lose ground over the Summer and if the Yes vote does lose but still gets over 40% we may not be able to banish the question for another generation. It will dominate Scottish politics for years to come as the Nationalists will aggregate for another referendum.

My hope so far is at the time draws near people will prove risk-adverse and slide back to No whereas the 'Don't Knows' will also follow the traditional pattern of referendums by opting for the status-quo. Still I think there is a possibility this vote could be lost :rem:.

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

To be honest I still think we have the nuclear options of promising more devolved powers should it come to that...
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 01:15   #1234
Jimi
Permanently Banned

Services: VM
Jimi doesn't have many friendsJimi doesn't have many friendsJimi doesn't have many friends

Quote:
Erm, I think you'll find that Scottish Enterprise and Visit Scotland have quit the CBI on direct instructions from the SNP, whose prominent member John Swinney just happens to be the finance minister who sets those organisations' budgets.

Salmond and his crew have politicised the civil service and the supposedly arms-length quangos quite shamelessly during the past 7 years, and are pushing their agenda now harder than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Hahahaha.... you still 100% believe that YeSNP will win.

I don't see how the CBI are helping the Yes party when the article states they are backing the pro union....

Also ........
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-27101266
The CBi can always change its name tae The Confederation of English industry,it does nothing for Scotland anyway.

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

Quote:
Quite possibly the most idiotic poster I've ever come across,I'm sure we in Scotland will worry about our pensions,what say you Gordon Brown,eh?

Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 01:30   #1235
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Please, all, can we let Scotland decide as they see fit and, if they wish to leave the UK, work out how to pay the bills as and when?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 01:33   #1236
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Please, all, can we let Scotland decide as they see fit and, if they wish to leave the UK, work out how to pay the bills as and when?
Good call.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 01:38   #1237
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

That poster isn't idiotic it's a fact and a very good point.

One that Salmond still can't actually provide a proper answer to. Just like everything else really.

Better together really is the ONLY sensible option.

The CB I does nothing for Scotland? Can you provide proof of this?
Old 22-04-2014, 12:43   #1238
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Services: Everything.
Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
We are letting them decide as they see fit. Well the politicians are, everyone here had no say in the matter. And there's a lot of Scots on here that face a massive decision about their future, but it's a decision that affects us all in the end. The rest of us, most anyway, want them to continue as part of the Union. If I honestly thought that a Yes vote would be better for them then I'd quite happily accept their decision and wish them well in what they have chosen for themselves. But I've not seen, or read, anything at all that makes me believe they will be better alone. I'm not an idiot, and I'm certainly not a bully or full of bluff and bluster, but they're the accusations that are thrown our way just for having an opinion on something that's very important for all of the Union. This is not a political site, it's not aligned to either of the Yes or No campaigns, or indeed any other campaign as far as I'm aware. It's a forum covering a very wide range of topics, used by people that seem to come from all walks of life, from all over Britain. We're entitled to our view, no matter what anyone else might have you believe.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

Quote:

One that Salmond still can't actually provide a proper answer to. Just like everything else really.

I thought you'd know better by now
Mr Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 12:48   #1239
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist View Post
But I've not seen, or read, anything at all that makes me believe they will be better alone.
That's because there isn't any. The better together campaign should be the easiest job in politics as taking apart the SNPs plans could be done by a five year old but consistently they let them away with bluffing and trying to con the electorate with wildly optimistic plans.

And now Jonah Browns taken a break from charity funded luxury to get involved I can see more pain ahead for the no camp.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 13:37   #1240
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
And now Jonah Browns taken a break from charity funded luxury to get involved I can see more pain ahead for the no camp.
You'd have to wonder, wouldn't you, where the sense is in engaging someone who was accused of bullying during his term of office and who is largely credited with / blamed on presiding over a financial disaster of gargantuan proportions to give financial advice (using unpublished data) regarding pensions in an attempt to advocate the retention of the union as is.

Seems bonkers to me.

Could it be that the Better Together campaign secretly want scotland to become independent?
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 13:47   #1241
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
To be honest I still think we have the nuclear options of promising more devolved powers should it come to that...
That. Would be a mistake, that's why we are where we are now. If you give some people a bit of leeway they take the mick.

Arguably if you devolve enough, then they'll be independent anyway.

Has anyone else noticed how this roll over type of politics has got us where we are today.

PC
Immigration
Human Rights
Etc
Etc
Etc

Quite frankly I'm glad I'm the age I am, (hopefully) I won't be here when it's all gone completely to ruin.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 16:05   #1242
Jimi
Permanently Banned

Jimi doesn't have many friendsJimi doesn't have many friendsJimi doesn't have many friends

Quote:

Here son,read this.

http://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/20...omment-page-1/

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist View Post
We are letting them decide as they see fit. Well the politicians are, everyone here had no say in the matter. And there's a lot of Scots on here that face a massive decision about their future, but it's a decision that affects us all in the end. The rest of us, most anyway, want them to continue as part of the Union. If I honestly thought that a Yes vote would be better for them then I'd quite happily accept their decision and wish them well in what they have chosen for themselves. But I've not seen, or read, anything at all that makes me believe they will be better alone. I'm not an idiot, and I'm certainly not a bully or full of bluff and bluster, but they're the accusations that are thrown our way just for having an opinion on something that's very important for all of the Union. This is not a political site, it's not aligned to either of the Yes or No campaigns, or indeed any other campaign as far as I'm aware. It's a forum covering a very wide range of topics, used by people that seem to come from all walks of life, from all over Britain. We're entitled to our view, no matter what anyone else might have you believe.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

I thought you'd know better by now
What UTTER rubbish,you are letting us vote,get off yer high horse,WE are deciding our choice of Government,not you,typical arrogant Little Englander.

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
You'd have to wonder, wouldn't you, where the sense is in engaging someone who was accused of bullying during his term of office and who is largely credited with / blamed on presiding over a financial disaster of gargantuan proportions to give financial advice (using unpublished data) regarding pensions in an attempt to advocate the retention of the union as is.

Seems bonkers to me.

Could it be that the Better Together campaign secretly want scotland to become independent?
Great post,odds are now 9/4 on Independence,it was 16/1 this time last year,the fear factor mob have lost the argument,their bullying a complete and utter failure,everything they do turn's tae poo.
Old 22-04-2014, 16:24   #1243
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
Here son,read this.

http://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/20...omment-page-1/[COLOR="Silver"]
What does hat have to do with with proving the CBI has never done anything for Scotland? What you have quoted is another blog with an opinion about the CBI's view on the question of independence.

You have claimed that the CBI has never done anything to promote or help Scottish Business at all.

Looks like they hold an event ever other month, but don't let facts get in the way.

http://www.cbi.org.uk/about-the-cbi/uk/scotland/events/

J
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 16:35   #1244
Jimi
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post

Seems bonkers to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post
What does hat have to do with with proving the CBI has never done anything for Scotland? What you have quoted is another blog with an opinion about the CBI's view on the question of independence.

You have claimed that the CBI has never done anything to promote or help Scottish Business at all.

Looks like they hold an event ever other month, but don't let facts get in the way.

http://www.cbi.org.uk/about-the-cbi/uk/scotland/events/

J
Token gesture Jamie,it let's them get out of Lahndan for a few days tae have a wee feast of fine whisky and haggis whilst lording over us,it doesn't work any more Jamie,the sooner you realise it the better.
Oh btw some more fantastic news for us up here in Bonnie Scotland.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php...-credit-rating
Old 22-04-2014, 16:48   #1245
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Services: Everything.
Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
What UTTER rubbish,you are letting us vote,get off yer high horse,WE are deciding our choice of Government,not you,typical arrogant Little Englander.
Maybe jimi, just maybe, you might be better actually thinking about what you're going to write, instead of jumping onto the offended bus whilst having a tantrum and getting your knickers in a twist. What exactly does "We are letting them decide as they see fit. Well the politicians are, everyone here had no say in the matter" mean to you? Did you read what I quoted above that post? Please enlighten me as to where I say that I'm deciding your choice of Government? And I'm a "typical arrogant Little Englander" now am I?. Again, please show me anywhere that I've ever looked, or spoke, down to Scotland or ridiculed it in any way? I await all the instances you find with growing eagerness. Yours forever, Mr Pharmacist X
Mr Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote