Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 18-03-2017, 17:31   #226
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knack View Post
I don't have time to read back just now to see if this has been reported but I'm recording the rugby which includes two back to back programmes on BBC One with a couple of minutes added at start and end of recording. When the second recording started the box froze. It rebooted a few minutes later (perhaps when the first recording stopped).
Some users have reported that some recordings are causing the box to reboot; someone has posted that a fix is under way. This hasn't happened to me, but it keeps stopping the recording of some programmes a few minutes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz100 View Post
I figured it out I had flagged HD only and so it hadn't picked it up.
Isn't the setting now HD 'if possible'
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2017, 18:59   #227
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you set a Series Link to All Channels you get a HD choice of Always / If Possible / Never.

If a Series Link is set to a specific channel the option becomes set via the channel type.
Old 18-03-2017, 23:05   #228
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I'd think it best to set it to 'if possible' then as it's better to end up with an SD recording than none at all.

Perhaps it makes the wrong choice sometimes, so this is why people use 'Always'??
Old 18-03-2017, 23:20   #229
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

All depends on your preferences and the situation.

For instance CBS Action is SD only, however shows Star Trek from time to time. SyFy show Star Trek in both SD and HD when they can. What they show could be the same version of the show but in different seasons.

So you can choose if you'd only want to record the quality of the show you'd prefer for either viewing reasons or disk space reasons, or as you say get whatever if best available for your other series link choices.

Same applies for NCIS. That's shown across both SD and HD channels at different points. So being able to specify the quality alongside the other options can help ensure you get the episodes you want.
Old 19-03-2017, 17:39   #230
knack
Inactive

knack is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Some users have reported that some recordings are causing the box to reboot; someone has posted that a fix is under way. This hasn't happened to me, but it keeps stopping the recording of some programmes a few minutes in.
Thank you.
knack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 22:06   #231
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knack View Post
Thank you.
You're welcome

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Quote:
Yesterday, the dreaded spinning purple circle made a reappearance a few times.

It wasn't as bad as the old TiVo, but worrying nevertheless.
I posted the above on 12/3/17. Today (22/3/17), it's significantly deteriorated.

The spinning purple circle whilst moving between screens is back with a vengeance, it won't let me extend Planned Recordings and won't allow me to search and view upcoming episodes. Once into the play screen, it does start straight away (unlike the old TiVo).

I do hope that this is a temporary thing. Has anyone else been affected?

I did wonder if the Quick View update had slowed it down, but upon checking I don't appear to have it yet.

A reboot made no difference at all and my HDD is 63% full.
Old 23-03-2017, 18:29   #232
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Did another reboot this morning and all is back to normal.

Not sure what happened, but I'm glad it's corrected itself.

It's taught me that one reboot may not be enough to clear problems, if problems persist after a reboot, try another

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 23-03-2017 at 18:32.
Old 28-03-2017, 13:18   #233
derekh
Inactive

derekh is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a NOW box as well as the V6. The now box is connected via WIFI and the V6 has an Ethernet connection from a Netgear Wi fi extender.

When I watch from the NOW box the V6 disconnects, and obviously does not record anything. When I switch the NOW box off the V6 reboots from scratch.

Has anyone else experienced this strange problem?
derekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 14:41   #234
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh View Post
I have a NOW box as well as the V6. The now box is connected via WIFI and the V6 has an Ethernet connection from a Netgear Wi fi extender.

When I watch from the NOW box the V6 disconnects, and obviously does not record anything. When I switch the NOW box off the V6 reboots from scratch.

Has anyone else experienced this strange problem?
That's more likely to be a problem with the TV than the Wi-Fi. To test this, try unplugging the V6's HDMI lead before you switch to the NOW TV.

What make and model TV is it?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 23:34   #235
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I've started experiencing this over the last couple of days. Very worrying indeed! I see from your later posts that a couple of reboots have fixed the issue. I'll have to give that a go and see how I get on.
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 02:14   #236
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD View Post
I've started experiencing this over the last couple of days. Very worrying indeed! I see from your later posts that a couple of reboots have fixed the issue. I'll have to give that a go and see how I get on.
It's started doing it again this evening, not as bad as the old TiVo, but taking about 10 seconds to retrieve screens eg Planned Recordings.

My old TiVo was fine for the first three months before it started doing this, my V6 was about six months old before it started doing this a short time ago.

I don't really want to have to keep rebooting it or removing Suggestions (as were advised for the old TiVo) to keep it working properly.
Old 29-03-2017, 07:37   #237
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

I haven't got any suggestions recorded as I've switched the feature off. My Shows only got a few programmes in it too, about 4% used.
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 14:10   #238
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:

was it losing internet connection at the time
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 15:44   #239
daz100
Inactive

daz100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Spinning circle is back looks like the internet down but the router seems ok?
Other devices are working just not the v6
daz100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 17:54   #240
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
was it losing internet connection at the time
Yes, some of the time as it wouldn't let me use VOD as an alternative to watching what I'd recorded.

Error C501 kept coming up too.

Someone asked this on the VM community​ forum a few weeks ago, but the thread appears to have been abandoned by staff:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...3039264/page/2

Not used it today to see if it's been sorted out.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 29-03-2017 at 17:59.