Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free Criminal Record Check

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Free Criminal Record Check
Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2009, 01:26   #46
xxxcraigxxx
Inactive

xxxcraigxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Free Criminal Record Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave1 View Post
Where is a website that does a totally free criminal record check on a person of your choice? Thank You
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2009, 04:37   #47
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
how old are you now and what sort of job is it

spent convictions are not normally put on any CRB unless the conviction is seen to be relevant by person doing the CRB or supposedly if a police officer is concerned about the person and then it wouldnt appear on your copy it is attached to the requsting agencies copy under strict non disclosure rules

see
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=310
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=1871

there is also this section that the requsting agency can get

http://www.crb.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=1858

if you want to see what the form looks like see here

http://www.crb.gov.uk/pdf/crb11%20guidance.pdf

Just to clear this up, I have a spent conviction from 26 years ago and it still shows up on every CRB check every 3 years. With my job I'm not exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act.

Old 22-08-2009, 10:54   #48
zing_deleted

its an adult conviction isnt it? afaik thay will always be on record

Old 22-08-2009, 20:10   #49
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge View Post
Just to clear this up, I have a spent conviction from 26 years ago and it still shows up on every CRB check every 3 years. With my job I'm not exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act.

does the type of conviction have anything to do with the type of job you do ?

might be worth asking why they put it on there if it doesn't

be aware though even if it goes from your copy it could still be included in the other section the employer gets
Old 22-08-2009, 20:46   #50
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If it's a conviction, it doesn't have to be relevant to the job application. So long as the employer is entitled to ask for a complete criminal record history, regardless of whether or not any convictions are spent, that is exactly what they will get.
Old 22-08-2009, 21:05   #51
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
I have never understood how that one works in practice.

I have worked for three different defence companies, and have been cleared to BC, SC, DV and "some others" above that level. The information regarding any criminal convictions including details of spent ones are placed in a sealed envelope for the vetting agency. This information is never disclosed to the company applying for the security clearance.

I thought this was due to civil liberty reasons, the vetting agency does not reject anyone for a criminal record as far as I know apart from Treason or professional malpractice. I'm not sure how a CRB check going to any old Tom, Dick or Harry company would be allowed to disclose conviction details to an employer.
In an old role, I gained BC, SC and then one to DV security clearance. The vetting process does not reject anyone with convictions, as long as your open and honest about it. However, any security clearance you try to get and have been served a custodial sentance, they will interview you at great length.

I also, have a conviction that is now spent and don;t have to declare it but the above was pretty hard to get but i can say, honesty is the best policy.
Old 23-08-2009, 09:48   #52
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

We all did daft things when we were young me being no exception Why do people have to pay for it all their life's when it comes to gaining employment?? IMHO the rehabilitation of offenders act needs looking at ASAP, also the amounrt of time between CRB's needs sorting out, A few years ago I had a CRB in the March then in the April I needed clearence to go onto another site, I had to have another CRB which cost me £35, just because I was over the 30 day mark by 3 days.

Old 23-08-2009, 10:54   #53
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
We all did daft things when we were young me being no exception Why do people have to pay for it all their life's when it comes to gaining employment?? IMHO the rehabilitation of offenders act needs looking at ASAP, also the amounrt of time between CRB's needs sorting out, A few years ago I had a CRB in the March then in the April I needed clearence to go onto another site, I had to have another CRB which cost me £35, just because I was over the 30 day mark by 3 days.
Probably due to the fact offenders are very inconsiderate and tend to offend 365 days a year.. If they increased the time between crb's then people might slip through the net..
Old 23-08-2009, 12:38   #54
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I'm with Nidge on this one - it needs looking at - convictions of some description, need to be looked at - there is two kinds of people, that get convicted / make the mistake. Those that, make the wrong choice once and learn by it and never do it again and there are those that consistantly offend and make the wrong choice over and over and never learn. I think, with CRB's, there should be some form of interview, at the end of the day, there is always a story behind a conviction, no matter what - desperation, made the wrong choice at the time, etc etc. I know this, thats how I got my conviction. I'm lucky, mine is spent now so i'm lucky that I don't have to declare it but for others, declaring it is again another gut call - I know you have to but sometimes it's better not to say anything, rather than being judged for a past mistake.
Old 23-08-2009, 14:17   #55
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
I'm with Nidge on this one - it needs looking at - convictions of some description, need to be looked at - there is two kinds of people, that get convicted / make the mistake. Those that, make the wrong choice once and learn by it and never do it again and there are those that consistantly offend and make the wrong choice over and over and never learn. I think, with CRB's, there should be some form of interview, at the end of the day, there is always a story behind a conviction, no matter what - desperation, made the wrong choice at the time, etc etc. I know this, thats how I got my conviction. I'm lucky, mine is spent now so i'm lucky that I don't have to declare it but for others, declaring it is again another gut call - I know you have to but sometimes it's better not to say anything, rather than being judged for a past mistake.
explaining to employer can help just because there is a conviction and or other information given to employer doesn't mean they have to automatically refuse you the job the CRB is just advice to us it is our decision whether to use that to exclude the person or not

remember though too even spent convictions can appear on the employers other section if the CRB or an officer or other person involved in getting the information believes it is relevant to the application

always a good idea to tell your employer everything that could impact on the job
Old 23-08-2009, 15:00   #56
lucy7
Inactive

lucy7 has reached the bronze age
lucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
explaining to employer can help just because there is a conviction and or other information given to employer doesn't mean they have to automatically refuse you the job the CRB is just advice to us it is our decision whether to use that to exclude the person or not

remember though too even spent convictions can appear on the employers other section if the CRB or an officer or other person involved in getting the information believes it is relevant to the application

always a good idea to tell your employer everything that could impact on the job

Baring soul, and the honesty is the best policy is ALWAYS the best way forward.

I was with my ex husband in a shop a very long time ago, the idiot unknown to me took his old shoes off and put some brand new expensive ones on........in other words he nicked them!

He was spotted, we both got pulled into the office, and the police were called. The lady store detective said I had been a look out!?!
Off to the police station we went, my ex would not admit to doing it, said the shoes were his.........what a nutter!
I was 8 months pregnant at the time, and in a cell, even the police man who interviewed me said I was with a wrong un.......did I listen......NO!

Long story, but in the end I got charged as well, went to court, I got a solicitor on the case and found not guilty,ex husband was found guilty.

Right, so thats the story.....................went for a job where I had to declare all, I was so scared to, even though I had not done anything and found not guilty.

I could not bare to tell them why i could not start the job, I was ashamed in a wierd way.
They hounded me as they wanted me, in the end I told them the story, they said thats is so long ago and it was not your fault, please come and work for us................I did!

The moral to me baring soul to all now is ..............what has happened is in the past, even if one has done wrong, is it is the past!
Any employer worth his salt will still want you if you are the best person for the job.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Why do I never read the whole thread before posting????

An old one, oh well once typed and all that!!!

How do the old threads keep coming up?
Who else has trouble sleeping????
Old 23-08-2009, 16:00   #57
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy7 View Post
Right, so thats the story.....................went for a job where I had to declare all, I was so scared to, even though I had not done anything and found not guilty.
There's no job where you would of had to declare a NOT guilty... It wouldn't even appear on an indepth CRB report..
Old 23-08-2009, 20:00   #58
lucy7
Inactive

lucy7 has reached the bronze age
lucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
There's no job where you would of had to declare a NOT guilty... It wouldn't even appear on an indepth CRB report..

I know that now, but I was young when it happened (a long time ago) I thought if you had been through the court system it showed up on a check that companies did, so as I didnt want to lie, I told them about it in the end.
Old 23-08-2009, 20:06   #59
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy7 View Post
I know that now, but I was young when it happened (a long time ago) I thought if you had been through the court system it showed up on a check that companies did, so as I didnt want to lie, I told them about it in the end.
No being found not guilty shouldn't show unless you have been cautioned.
Old 23-08-2009, 20:45   #60
Kymmy
Inactive

If you've been cautioned then you've admitted your guilt in the offence..so not guilty is nothing to do with a caution
Closed Thread