Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Loss of Broadband - TS22

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New BT speed broadband speed test

Old 30-03-2012, 12:33   #1
jimexbox
Inactive

jimexbox is on a distinguished roadjimexbox is on a distinguished road
New BT speed broadband speed test

This is for download only, sorry no upload.

I was showing 50-60Mb on speedtest.net, showing a more accurate 96Mb here. A guy on the virgin 100Mb forum posted it, so cheers to him.

http://www.speedtester.bt.com/beta/speedtest-remote.jsp

*can a mod edit the first 'speed' out of the thread title, makes more sense, ta.
jimexbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2012, 13:37   #2
tanny
cf.addict

Services: Sky Digital Virgin Media 500Mb.
tanny is on a distinguished roadtanny is on a distinguished road
Re: New BT speed broadband speed test

On all the other speed test sites i normally get 46MB but this site is showing 49.70MB.

Don't know how accurate this is till other members do a speed test
tanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 13:43   #3
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

i got between 107.59 - 109.60Mbps
Old 30-03-2012, 14:29   #4
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

62+ on 60 Mbit here.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 14:31   #5
lordofangels
Inactive

Services: Broadband 152Mb (M)Phone
lordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of light

It gives me 104.70 about the same as speedtest.net
Thanks for posting this jimexbox, always good to have another tester.
lordofangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 14:35   #6
webrosc
Inactive

Services: XL TV V+, XXL BB, XL Phone
webrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enough

i got 50.54 then 50.35 on the BT one
speedtest.net gave me a 50.33 and 50.33
webrosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:17   #7
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: New BT speed broadband speed test

Attachment 23303
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:06   #8
Zhadnost
Inactive

Services: XXL Broadband, Phone
Zhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really nice

Gives me 56.11 MBit while I'm on 50Mbit and rate-limited lower than that. (and also while there is other internet traffic going through the service).

I think the results are a bit over-optimistic.
Zhadnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:11   #9
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

It gives me 67.19 on my 60mb connection wired. It would appear to be a bit on the high side.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:15   #10
attman
Inactive

attman is an unknown quantity at this point

Gave me 76.76 on a 100mb line. Im Wireless N connected, 8ft from the box.
attman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:46   #11
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

hi all
new here & new with virgin
was with fttc via TT but moving house no fttc at the moment so VM
(PS: i prefer fttc)
to the topic now
i am with 30 mbps package
it shows 32 with speedtest and BT shows 34
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25   #12
nashmills
Inactive

Services: 500GB TiVo (TV M), BB 100Mb, Phone M
nashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about themnashmills has a spectacular aura about them

Has anyone tried the numion.com speed test?

I'm on 30Mb and both speedtest.net and the BT one say I'm getting over 30 but Numion shows a "real world" download speed of 2.3Mb (less than the upload speed).
nashmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:54   #13
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmills View Post
Has anyone tried the numion.com speed test?

I'm on 30Mb and both speedtest.net and the BT one say I'm getting over 30 but Numion shows a "real world" download speed of 2.3Mb (less than the upload speed).
What do you get in real world downloads? Speed tests are fine and good but they aren't to be relied on as it depends on so many factors like how many people are testing it, how close is the speed test to your location etc etc.

So I would say if your connection feels fine and you get good speed downloading real files is the main thing not what a speedtester says.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 20:59   #14
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

i just had a go with numion.com

it says my download speed is 1,012 kb(126.52 kilobits a second)
after 30 seconds of the test via numion ... i started to download a 330 MB file from you tube
my network meter program started to count about (less more) 450 kBs (kilobytes)
450 kilobytes are 3686.4 kilobits

network meter is counting real measures so my download is almost same as my upload
i still dont think i am close to the XL 30 package but i dont belive numion ... unless the server was tested was out of the UK...but seems very close in reality download speeds

it took me about 15 minutes to download the file and about 15 minutes to upload back at you tube
that means is a way far a 30mb download speed

if was real 30 mb should download in 3 minutes??? the 330MB file
hmmmmm.....

EDIT

i downloaded just now from gamershell.com
(what virgin reccoments in their forums for real test download speed http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...st/td-p/889075) ....
a 256MB file and took less than a minute with network meter touching 3.300 MB = 27033.6 kilobits ... so XL 30 is real and numio has problem
you tube is slow server as well (at least from the link downloaded the file)
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 21:41   #15
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Got exactly 104.43Mb on 3 consecutive tests. Varied between 67Mb and 108Mb during the test. More consistent than speedtest.net so far.

No doubt someone will say the ttb test is more accurate even though it gives me an average of 27Mb.

Yeah! I know these tests aren't meant to be indicative of anything. "Why bother", I say if your connection is doing what you want it to do.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote