Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin cable in my close

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

virgin cable in my close

Old 08-03-2012, 18:06   #31
harryc05
Inactive

harryc05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: virgin cable in my close

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
[/COLOR]It's the average increase in speed to be expected for all users on that cabinet/postcode. It's not always accurate though, since it's just a rough estimate for the whole area. Being that close to the cab I see very little reason why you wouldn't get the full 80mb from the outset. My line's noisy and twice as long and still does 87mb.

Yes, unfortunately that's how it works with BT's rollout. Phase 8a, 8b and 9a are all supposed to be completed this year, but other than phase 8 areas being done before phase 9 there's very little to go on with regards to actual dates.

It costs BT on average about £30K to install a cab, and there's a lot of things that need to be done, including:
1) Finding a suitable location near the existing cab
2) Getting agreement from all parties to actually use the location
3) Getting council clearance/planning permission for the roadworks to put in the cab
4) Getting council clearance/planning permissions for the roadworks to give the cab power
5) Getting council clearance/planning permission for the roadworks to give the cab fibre
6) Getting council clearance/planning permission for the roadworks to connect the new cab to the old cab
7) Doing the actual work to install the cab
8) Getting another company to do the actual work to install the power
9) Installing the fibre feed, all the way from the exchange
10) Connecting the fibre cab to the PCP
11) Dealing with repeated delays and bureaucracy while doing the above
12) Repeat step 11 at least ten times
13) Doing all the higher level configuration and stuff
14) Make sure everything's working
15) THEN you can start connecting actual customers
yeah i understand and its always that step 11 thats the most annoying part, knowing everything is there but not being allowed to use it due to silly circumstances and views.
harryc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 18:21   #32
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

does the new customer on fibre need a repull as well ?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 19:05   #33
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

For BT fibre? No. It uses the same phone line. It's split off inside the old cab and routed through to the new cab via tie lines that BT put in between the two.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 18:30   #34
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Is there a conversion doen and the voice path uses fibre back to the exchange then or is that just for the data path?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 19:44   #35
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Just for data.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 20:37   #36
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc05 View Post
hi, i may be moving in a few weeks into a home in a private close that was built in 2007, i have checked for virgin media services and it says it is not in a cable area. from the research i have done the 11 or so houses in this close are the only homes that do not get virgin cable services. all of other other homes within a mile radius of the 11 houses do get cable from virgin and i am in need of fast broadband that they offer.

the close is not big at all either.

is there anything i can do?

i just cant see my self living with the estimated 3.5mbits from BT and the other non fibre providers
check if sky has broadband there..
i recommend sky internet,shame about bt internet
Old 02-04-2012, 23:13   #37
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

I assume you live on Abbey Close.

This green box right outside your gate could be your BT cabinet:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=BR6+...336.41,,1,8.38

Either that, or this one:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=BR6+...52.52,,2,17.62
Both of those cabinets look like Virgin Media cabinets. Certainly the 2nd one which is identical to the Nynex ones we have here. I can confirm for sure though the first one is NOT a BT cabinet.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 23:55   #38
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I'd check what it says on the covers on the ground in front of the second cabinet. If the label in the centre is CATV that woudl indicate Virgin Media. Around here I have covers like that that also say GPO (ie BT) as well as CATV
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 00:03   #39
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Both of those cabinets look like Virgin Media cabinets. Certainly the 2nd one which is identical to the Nynex ones we have here. I can confirm for sure though the first one is NOT a BT cabinet.
The second one is Virgin's. The other one is for the power supply to operate the gates.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 00:03   #40
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The second one is the VM cabinet for that end of Charterhouse Road, including several houses beyond Abbey Close. But Abbey Close isn't cabled.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote