Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin cable in my close

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

virgin cable in my close

Old 08-03-2012, 13:31   #16
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: virgin cable in my close

saddos.. not sure whats more annoying though. them saying no or saying yes and then putting out deck chairs to monitor the whole thing.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 13:51   #17
harryc05
Inactive

harryc05 is an unknown quantity at this point

this is the thing these are 5 bedroom family homes that were newly built and most of the people in them have 2+ children which astounds me at how they wouldnt have had virgin in the first place. i really cant see a family of 5 living on 2.0mb.6.0mb of internet. im so gutted im looking at other possibilities even costly ones that could get me decent internet.
harryc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 13:53   #18
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Try a mailshot then to all the houses.. Say that you;re interested in getting VM and ask them how many would take the service or at very least say yet to the street install.. If you get enough people then VM are more likely to take notice and you don;t have to worry about people saying no later on.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 14:00   #19
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

getting VM installed is all very good but did you pursue BT as well, you said you was getting conflicting results..

try BT direct > http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact#h...U2MzgsNTYzOSJ9

find out all your likely possibilities before grabbing signatures for VM
Old 08-03-2012, 14:14   #20
harryc05
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
getting VM installed is all very good but did you pursue BT as well, you said you was getting conflicting results..

try BT direct > http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact#h...U2MzgsNTYzOSJ9

find out all your likely possibilities before grabbing signatures for VM
Just phoned BT and they said that infinity is rolling out but it is patchy and she could not give me a date for the fibre in my cabinet but she said within 12 months is the time stretch she could give me because there are other elements involved
Old 08-03-2012, 14:18   #21
thenry
Inactive

elements of pulling...

enter your postcode in the box right of the map

http://www.openreach-communications....here-and-when/
Old 08-03-2012, 14:24   #22
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc05 View Post
this is the thing these are 5 bedroom family homes that were newly built and most of the people in them have 2+ children which astounds me at how they wouldnt have had virgin in the first place. i really cant see a family of 5 living on 2.0mb.6.0mb of internet. im so gutted im looking at other possibilities even costly ones that could get me decent internet.
The ducting would have been an extra cost to the developer which he would be unlikely to recover as the capacity to have cable wouldn't really improve the price he could sell the houses for.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 14:47   #23
harryc05
Inactive

Quote:
elements of pulling...

enter your postcode in the box right of the map

http://www.openreach-communications....here-and-when/
it says my exchange (ORPINGTON) is accepting orders. although my new post code BR6 9BF isn't infinity available on the chekcer

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Response from cablemystreet

Hi Harry

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Virgin Media providing digital
services at your new home.

Unfortunately for us to make this area serviceable with digital services
would be too expensive and would cost more than our current budget
allows, so therefore cannot be considered to be upgraded by our infill
activity at this time.

As we find new ways of serving areas such as this that are outwith the
existing network, we will look at your request further and may be able
to include this in build programmes in future years. However at this
time, we will not be able to provide cable service to this area.

I appreciate this is not good news, but be assured our team will
continue to look for other solutions that may help us achieve this in
the future.

Best regards

Alison

how much to virgin to do this? i totally understand why they wouldn't due to the fact that the 11 homes will not payback in a certain time frame that virgin target for.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:30   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Otherwise known as NIMBYs

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

Quote:
it says my exchange (ORPINGTON) is accepting orders. although my new post code BR6 9BF isn't infinity available on the chekcer
I assume you live on Abbey Close.

This green box right outside your gate could be your BT cabinet:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=BR6+...336.41,,1,8.38

Either that, or this one:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=BR6+...52.52,,2,17.62

You're connected to LSORP exchange cab 22, so whichever cab says '22' on it is yours. Your postcode is confirmed for BT Infinity rollout and scheduled for phase 9a. All other cabs in the area (i.e. BR6 9Bx) were phase 6a, so that explains why everyone else got it before you.

At this rate BT have all but promised you will get service, whereas VM have all but promised you won't. IMO BT provides the better service of the two, and being a new build and metres from the cab, your line should easily be capable of 150mbps+
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 15:44   #25
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Response from cablemystreet

Hi Harry

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Virgin Media providing digital
services at your new home.

Unfortunately for us to make this area serviceable with digital services
would be too expensive and would cost more than our current budget
allows, so therefore cannot be considered to be upgraded by our infill
activity at this time.

As we find new ways of serving areas such as this that are outwith the
existing network, we will look at your request further and may be able
to include this in build programmes in future years. However at this
time, we will not be able to provide cable service to this area.

I appreciate this is not good news, but be assured our team will
continue to look for other solutions that may help us achieve this in
the future.

Best regards

Alison

how much to virgin to do this? i totally understand why they wouldn't due to the fact that the 11 homes will not payback in a certain time frame that virgin target for.
I understand that this is of no help what so ever, but perhaps it shows how times have changed. I live in a close of 14 houses, Cable Tel ( as it was then ) were on the main road laying cable etc. ( The guys told me that they were not coming in to us)
So I ask every house if they were interested it having it 7 said yes I called Cable Tel, around a week later we had letters asking if we were interested. The 7 of us said yes & around a month later we were connected
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 15:52   #26
harryc05
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

I assume you live on Abbey Close.

This green box right outside your gate could be your BT cabinet:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=BR6+...336.41,,1,8.38

Either that, or this one:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=BR6+...52.52,,2,17.62

You're connected to LSORP exchange cab 22, so whichever cab says '22' on it is yours. Your postcode is confirmed for BT Infinity rollout and scheduled for phase 9a. All other cabs in the area (i.e. BR6 9Bx) were phase 6a, so that explains why everyone else got it before you.

At this rate BT have all but promised you will get service, whereas VM have all but promised you won't. IMO BT provides the better service of the two, and being a new build and metres from the cab, your line should easily be capable of 150mbps+
ahh this does sound like good news. how did you find the connecting cabinet numbers? thank you very much that is very informative, maybe i wont have to wait long for a decent internet service after all.

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I understand that this is of no help what so ever, but perhaps it shows how times have changed. I live in a close of 14 houses, Cable Tel ( as it was then ) were on the main road laying cable etc. ( The guys told me that they were not coming in to us)
So I ask every house if they were interested it having it 7 said yes I called Cable Tel, around a week later we had letters asking if we were interested. The 7 of us said yes & around a month later we were connected

i know what you mean i think the first owners of these houses in 2007-8 were asked if they wanted cable and they said no, although im not sure how accurate or factual that is
Old 08-03-2012, 16:08   #27
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
ahh this does sound like good news. how did you find the connecting cabinet numbers? thank you very much that is very informative, maybe i wont have to wait long for a decent internet service after all.
It's on the (giant) BT 2012 PCP spreadsheet:
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...id=S351604JNil

The above is the announced schedule for generally before December 2012. As you're on the latest phase (9a) that would suggest later on in 2012 - though often dates are put back and then brought forward again, as it's more dependant on getting agreement from the council and residents to put in the cab and finding power, space, etc. than BT themselves.
Old 08-03-2012, 16:28   #28
thenry
Inactive

qas.. could the OP play some form of pivotal role in all this to make it run smoothly and quicker like getting all residents on side? it wont really matter whos on BT itself and sky/talktalk etc. as it all runs through the same cable right should sky customers in the area upgrade to skys fibre product etc.
Old 08-03-2012, 16:56   #29
harryc05
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
It's on the (giant) BT 2012 PCP spreadsheet:
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...id=S351604JNil

The above is the announced schedule for generally before December 2012. As you're on the latest phase (9a) that would suggest later on in 2012 - though often dates are put back and then brought forward again, as it's more dependant on getting agreement from the council and residents to put in the cab and finding power, space, etc. than BT themselves.
great thanks for the document. do you by any chance know what 'uplift' means is it an add on of your speed or a multiplier of your average or highest speed ect. for example for me it is 4.5

thank you once again

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Quote:
qas.. could the OP play some form of pivotal role in all this to make it run smoothly and quicker like getting all residents on side? it wont really matter whos on BT itself and sky/talktalk etc. as it all runs through the same cable right should sky customers in the area upgrade to skys fibre product etc.
from speaking to customer services from the page you linked earlier they said it happens when it happens between now & 12 months time. i would of offered money to speed up the process to be honest because the internet is vital to my work. but i dont think BT ect would accept a bribe haha

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

would just like to add i have never been helped out as much as this or in this little amount of time on any other forum. you guys really are great.
Old 08-03-2012, 17:48   #30
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
great thanks for the document. do you by any chance know what 'uplift' means is it an add on of your speed or a multiplier of your average or highest speed ect. for example for me it is 4.5

thank you once again

It's the average increase in speed to be expected for all users on that cabinet/postcode. It's not always accurate though, since it's just a rough estimate for the whole area. Being that close to the cab I see very little reason why you wouldn't get the full 80mb from the outset. My line's noisy and twice as long and still does 87mb.

Quote:
from speaking to customer services from the page you linked earlier they said it happens when it happens between now & 12 months time. i would of offered money to speed up the process to be honest because the internet is vital to my work. but i dont think BT ect would accept a bribe haha
Yes, unfortunately that's how it works with BT's rollout. Phase 8a, 8b and 9a are all supposed to be completed this year, but other than phase 8 areas being done before phase 9 there's very little to go on with regards to actual dates.

It costs BT on average about £30K to install a cab, and there's a lot of things that need to be done, including:
1) Finding a suitable location near the existing cab
2) Getting agreement from all parties to actually use the location
3) Getting council clearance/planning permission for the roadworks to put in the cab
4) Getting council clearance/planning permissions for the roadworks to give the cab power
5) Getting council clearance/planning permission for the roadworks to give the cab fibre
6) Getting council clearance/planning permission for the roadworks to connect the new cab to the old cab
7) Doing the actual work to install the cab
8) Getting another company to do the actual work to install the power
9) Installing the fibre feed, all the way from the exchange
10) Connecting the fibre cab to the PCP
11) Dealing with repeated delays and bureaucracy while doing the above
12) Repeat step 11 at least ten times
13) Doing all the higher level configuration and stuff
14) Make sure everything's working
15) THEN you can start connecting actual customers