Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Logging into to TiVo over Ethernet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Logging into to TiVo over Ethernet?

Old 28-11-2011, 13:29   #16
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Logging into to TiVo over Ethernet?

No, everything is protected and can't be copied or streamed. Maybe later.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2011, 19:12   #17
Virgin Territory
Inactive

Virgin Territory is an unknown quantity at this point
Connect TiVo to a LAN?

Good evening all.

I've seen many minor mentions here & there about connecting a TiVo to a LAN, but no explanation.

Could someone explain (or point me in the right direction) to what the advantage, if any, in doing this would be.

And, there is always an and, how to go about it all.

Cheers
Virgin Territory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 19:30   #18
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

seen this on the VM HD Blog - can control TIVO box from PC and can see TV guide as well

http://vmhd.blogspot.com/2011/11/con...indows-pc.html
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 21:14   #19
funkyCable
THE FUNKIEST ON THE BOARD

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice
Re: Connect TiVo to a LAN?

Try read the forums? There is a posted called "Logging into Tivo over Ethernet"
funkyCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 21:17   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Ethernet Port

Threads merged.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 21:33   #21
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgin Territory View Post
Good evening all.

I've seen many minor mentions here & there about connecting a TiVo to a LAN, but no explanation.

Could someone explain (or point me in the right direction) to what the advantage, if any, in doing this would be.

Cheers
There is an ethernet port on the back of the TIVO, which allows you to connect it to your router. TIVO will then be connected to your Local Area Network, allowing you to connect to it via the various Android/IPhone remote control applications (there's also a Windows one linked a few posts up). Also if you have two TIVOs and can get them both connected to the LAN then they can see each other, and theoretically play each others recordings (though this is being restricted by broadcaster rights at present, hopefully this will be working soon).

If your TIVO is not close to your router then you can use powerline adapters to send the network data over your power cables rather than having to drag network cables all round the house.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
seen this on the VM HD Blog - can control TIVO box from PC and can see TV guide as well

I've just been playing with this one and it works well. One of the big pluses is that it allows you to use the laptop keyboard to type into the various search boxes. The TV guide bit is just a link to the TV Guide on the VM website I believe, but useful nonetheless.
kgollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 08:17   #22
Virgin Territory
Inactive

Virgin Territory is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd just like to say thanks to nstokes, Hugh & kgollop.

I expect I'll be looking for help in the future, I'll keep my eyes open for you guys.
Virgin Territory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 09:00   #23
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
There is an ethernet port on the back of the TIVO, which allows you to connect it to your router. TIVO will then be connected to your Local Area Network, allowing you to connect to it via the various Android/IPhone remote control applications (there's also a Windows one linked a few posts up). Also if you have two TIVOs and can get them both connected to the LAN then they can see each other, and theoretically play each others recordings (though this is being restricted by broadcaster rights at present, hopefully this will be working soon).

If your TIVO is not close to your router then you can use powerline adapters to send the network data over your power cables rather than having to drag network cables all round the house.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

I've just been playing with this one and it works well. One of the big pluses is that it allows you to use the laptop keyboard to type into the various search boxes. The TV guide bit is just a link to the TV Guide on the VM website I believe, but useful nonetheless.
it is the guide from internet, it is quite good, i have found thou you cant have that connected and the penut app on ipohne connected to box at same time, its 1 or the other until you disconnect

---------- Post added at 08:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 ----------

Quote:
I'd just like to say thanks to nstokes, Hugh & kgollop.

I expect I'll be looking for help in the future, I'll keep my eyes open for you guys.
Thanks. Your Welcome
Old 29-11-2011, 11:02   #24
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

@Virgin Territory - I take it you're the coder of this app? Fantastic work. If you're looking for anyone to beta test the OSX version, I'd be happy to help.

I'm hoping that when VM sort the rights management out, I'll be able to view my recordings on devices other than another TiVO...
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 11:19   #25
nstokes
Inactive

i also want to say to @Virgin Territory i am willing to help test anything that uses windows as i dont have MAC
Old 29-11-2011, 14:26   #26
kgollop
cf.geek

kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post
@Virgin Territory - I take it you're the coder of this app? Fantastic work. If you're looking for anyone to beta test the OSX version, I'd be happy to help.

I'm hoping that when VM sort the rights management out, I'll be able to view my recordings on devices other than another TiVO...
Andy Wheeler wrote the app:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post6052.html
Old 30-11-2011, 08:57   #27
kgollop
cf.geek

Quote:
Good evening all.

Cheers
Well, someone has explained it far better than I ever could here:
http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/p/network-your-tivo.html
Old 30-12-2011, 18:56   #28
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

Pea-Pod is on a distinguished roadPea-Pod is on a distinguished road

Does this feature allow you to watch the TIVO on your PC, and if so what is the quality like?
Pea-Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 19:02   #29
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-Pod View Post
Does this feature allow you to watch the TIVO on your PC, and if so what is the quality like?
No it does not. As always I recommend a Slingbox.
Old 30-12-2011, 20:51   #30
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

Pea-Pod is on a distinguished roadPea-Pod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
No it does not. As always I recommend a Slingbox.
They are quite good are they? Strange about the network capabalities of TIVO, not sure what advantage there is of seeing folders and playlists when you're restricted from viewing the actual content?
Pea-Pod is offline   Reply With Quote