Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Virgin Media Business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub2 / Speed Problems

Old 08-01-2015, 23:45   #1
Sherlock614
Inactive

Services: Virgin 200mb, Tivo, Phone
Sherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the rough
Superhub2 / Speed Problems

Hi all,

I have a problem with fluctuating /slow speeds over ethernet using a Superhub2.

My setup:
Big Kahuna 152mbit
4 PC's connected directly to SHub via ethernet cables (each has a port)
Wireless - phones, tablet, PS4 connected

The problem:
In speedtests, 2 of the computers hit 160mbit no problem and consistently. The other 2 are fluctuating. The computer i am typing this on was consistently 160mbit since we upgraded. Over the last 2 weeks we now get 8mbit. The other 'slow' machine was running max 8mbit - Then for no apparent reason went back up to 160, but has now dropped to 20mbit

After many many hours of searching, driver installs, nic card purchase/ installs, cable changes even win7 reinstall on one machine, i am left with one conclusion - The Shub is struggling to keep up or is faulty. I have tried going back to factory settings which made no difference.

Could the Shub be limiting bandwidth? There are no 'super users' here and it happens even when the 'fast' machines are unplugged. Malware etc - we keep a strict regime.

Any help appreciated as i've hit a brick wall and have little hair left!
Sherlock614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2015, 00:03   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Superhub2 / Speed Problems

Stick it in modem mode and use your own router.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23   #3
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I would be surprised if the SH itself was limiting bandwidth on specific ports. You could always test that theory by swapping the cables around and seeing what happens. If it is still affecting specific machines then something is going on with those machines.

You do seem to be using a lot of devices with the SH though, I'm not sure how well it copes. The SH2 is by and large decent but you might be better off with a solid router instead.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:39   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
You do seem to be using a lot of devices with the SH though, I'm not sure how well it copes. The SH2 is by and large decent but you might be better off with a solid router instead.
So what you mean is "Stick it in modem mode and use your own router."
Old 09-01-2015, 08:41   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

ya, my immediate thought was that there were some services running in the background which are taxing your machines resources but if you have done a clean install of windows 7 and it is still happening then something else is going on. I agree with Rommi.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:22   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

As per the usual disclaimer on speedtests, these can be affected by any of thousands of different factors. Without more information on what speedtest you did under what conditions it will be impossible to offer anything other than vague, generic advice as we cannot pinpoint the cause.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:33   #7
Sherlock614
Inactive

Sherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for replies

I am using speedtest.net to test connection. I understand regarding fluctuations by their nature and I know my connection, it has always been solid /reliable.

This is something different as its consistent per computer. It is also why i was concentrating on the affected computers themselves - everything points in that direction. But everything i have tried including different nic cards / reinstalls changes nothing.

Only thing i haven't tried is a diff router, but obviously thats a bundle of readies the mrs will growl at!
Old 09-01-2015, 22:00   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Probably a stupid question but have you tried swapping ports over? ie. put the affected PC's on the ports the unaffected are using.
and/or
Just have the 2 affected ones connected to test?

Depending on how long you've been wed you should be getting used to the Mrs growling! LOL!
Old 09-01-2015, 22:22   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock614 View Post
I am using speedtest.net to test connection. I understand regarding fluctuations by their nature and I know my connection, it has always been solid /reliable.
Which server? Which client? Which browser?

Quote:
This is something different as its consistent per computer. It is also why i was concentrating on the affected computers themselves - everything points in that direction. But everything i have tried including different nic cards / reinstalls changes nothing.
What operating system? What age? What else was running at the time?
Old 17-01-2015, 22:24   #10
Sherlock614
Inactive

Hi,

Sorry for late reply and thanks for replies

Ports: Have swapped ports - no effect
Client: Win7
Browser: Firefox / Chrome/ IE
Test servers: All of em

Long story short i rang VM tech support. They tested everything, no faults found. Connected remotely to one of the 'slow' PCs. Played with drivers and duplex settings as i have done many times. Reset SHub to factory settings (for the 99th time). No change.

They are sending out new SHub within 2 - 3 working days.

We were going to bite the bullet and buy an Asus RT-A68U router, but are going to hang fire.

Will report back when new SHub arrives.
Old 18-01-2015, 08:26   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I would still do it dude. Put the shub in modem mode and use the Asus.
Old 18-01-2015, 17:17   #12
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

There are plenty of strong arguments for getting a separate router, even if your Superhub is working as it should be. Better coverage, better configurability, better stability, etc.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 17:53   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

absolutely. It is all comes down to your individual needs and requirements and how easy you want to make your life. I download a tonne of stuff and have pcs, laptops, phones, printers, nas servers, TV's and bluray players all hooked up on my network and it comes as no surprise that I want it all to work when I try and use it. For something that is pretty much in permanent use 24/7 by one person or another it is worth paying for decent equipment. I have got 3 Linksys routers and 3 Linksys switches (which all have a nice Cisco logo on top (Qas )) which make up the backbone of my network and I never have any problems whatsoever. Some of that is due to good quality equipment from a reliability point of view and the other part is the features decent equipment brings. One particular issue which keeps cropping up of late is that of DNS servers. If you was on your phone or tv and wanted to use youtube or something and couldn't connect would you think youtube is the problem, the phone, the tv or maybe the Wi-Fi? Many people wouldn't assume it is a dns issue (if they even knew what it is) and it isn't something you can rectify in a straight forward way either because as fundamental as it is, it is a feature VM seem like screwing everyone over with. In large networks with multiple devices there are many variables you have to take into account when something goes wrong and the more of them you can mitigate/eliminate the better.
Old 18-01-2015, 18:38   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
In large networks with multiple devices there are many variables you have to take into account when something goes wrong and the more of them you can mitigate/eliminate the better.
I usually blame whatever piece of equipment has "Cisco" written on it.
Old 18-01-2015, 19:51   #15
General Maximus
Ran Away

I think I have had 7 different models of Linksys/Cisco routers over the years and I have never had a problem with any of them.