Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freecom DVB-T & Analog USB stick

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

I've lost my sound!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:13   #1
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Unhappy I've lost my sound!

I appear to have no sound, can't play CDs or listen to music. Webcam, the other person can hear me, but I can't hear them. This is only since yesterday. This has happened since I downloaded SP2, don't expect it is related........or could it be?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2009, 09:17   #2
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one
Re: I've lost my sound!

Rather obvious, but you haven't hit 'mute'?
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:19   #3
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

No SJL not as far as I can see, volumn up full too, also changed speakers just in case.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:37   #4
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

Strange - I guess the sound card is working, if others can hear you over webcam. Where's Zing when he's needed?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:55   #5
Tinky
To err is human

Apparently SJL there can be problems with sound after installing SP2 see here on the Microsoft Vista help page. Incidentally I tried Mr Fix it, but it didn't work. Now wondering if I should uninstall SP2, would that be wise? I want my sound back.

Capture.JPG
Old 05-09-2009, 10:10   #6
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Try re installing the drivers for your sound card
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:18   #7
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Have you tried the steps here?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9484...ItMyselfAlways
Old 05-09-2009, 10:44   #8
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Try re installing the drivers for your sound card
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
Tried all the above, but no joy. Next step uninstall SP2?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:48   #9
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

what sound card do you use?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52   #10
zing_deleted

what sound device is selected? control panel/ sound
Old 05-09-2009, 10:55   #11
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
what sound card do you use?
Where do I find the name of the sound card, it only says High Definition audio device?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59   #12
zing_deleted

is there anything else in the list? have you got everest installed? if not google majorgeeks:everest and download it

Do you have a little speaker in the taskbar thats not grey/white(think its brown but im colourblind) if so its realtek double click and see if speakers are selected. You could have hdmi on your gfx and this could have taken default
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59   #13
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Not sure if this is relevant but I've lost all sound on this PC several times (Realtek ac97 audio). Each time this has happened, single clicking the systray volume control shows the volume slider at its normal level and not muted but on double clicking to reveal the advanced controls, I've found the 'wave' setting to be muted and this was the cause of the problem. I don't muck about with settings and I've no idea how this happened, it just seemed to be a glitch. HTH.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:01   #14
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Control panel/Device Manager/Sound, Video and Game controllers

Right-click on the device, and Properties/Driver will tell you the version, then check the list here

http://www.pctipsbox.com/vista-sp2-sound-problems/
Old 05-09-2009, 11:02   #15
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
what sound device is selected? control panel/ sound
Does this help?
Capture.JPG