Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | how do i get a p45 again? i lost the one from my previous employer...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Road Assistance cover

Old 04-08-2005, 02:32   #1
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Road Assistance cover

I have made this thread because I was just wondering what cover everybody uses for thier cars. After my dads car breaking down yesterday on the slip road leading off the motorway and the feeling of not knowing what to do for a moment or two when it happened I decided I need some road cover rather than having to phone friends or relatives to come to the rescue everytime we have trouble.
So what cover would you recomend me? what cover do you use? What company are you with?

Heres my situation....
Mostly drive a very short 6 mile roundtrip to and from work each day with the occasional social drive to shops or pub etc *Im always alocohol free when I go the pub, I dont even have the allowed 1 drink (Just so you all know I dont condone drink driving ). I also drive to northwich about 10 times a year but even thats only a 70mile roundtrip.
My car is an old banger but reliable, this is just incase the unforseen happens and it does break down.

Ive heard good things about the AA but then Ive also heard bad things so anyones experience of them or others is appreciated, thanks again everyone, always know this is the place to post to get good advice .
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2005, 02:39   #2
iron25
Inactive

iron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful one
Re: Road Assistance cover

Unless you expect your car to break down often or do alot of lengthy journeys then I would suggest keeping the phone numbers of the rac & aa in your car and if you need recovery then join them, until it happens, save your money
iron25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:22   #3
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron25
Unless you expect your car to break down often or do alot of lengthy journeys then I would suggest keeping the phone numbers of the rac & aa in your car and if you need recovery then join them, until it happens, save your money
I didnt know that was an option, how does that work then? do you have to become a member over the phone before they come to you? or do you just pay for what they do there and then with becoming a member being optional afterwards?
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:31   #4
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte
I didnt know that was an option, how does that work then? do you have to become a member over the phone before they come to you?
I believe (although I'm not certain) that you can join up by credit card, however I think you don't get any discounts or other benefits that would normally be available if you signed up beforehand.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:36   #5
iron25
Inactive

iron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful oneiron25 is the helpful one

Quote:
I didnt know that was an option, how does that work then? do you have to become a member over the phone before they come to you? or do you just pay for what they do there and then with becoming a member being optional afterwards?
I needed recovery a couple of years back at 4am and phoned the RAC and got immediate recovery. I didn't need to become a member as I could just pay a one-off charge for the recovery. The RAC did not recover me but they arranged the recovery from a local firm. I think it cost me around £70. I don't know about breakdown service because you would need to be a member but you should be able to join up straight away.
iron25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:55   #6
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
I have made this thread because I was just wondering what cover everybody uses for thier cars. After my dads car breaking down yesterday on the slip road leading off the motorway and the feeling of not knowing what to do for a moment or two when it happened I decided I need some road cover rather than having to phone friends or relatives to come to the rescue everytime we have trouble.
So what cover would you recomend me? what cover do you use? What company are you with?

Heres my situation....
Mostly drive a very short 6 mile roundtrip to and from work each day with the occasional social drive to shops or pub etc *Im always alocohol free when I go the pub, I dont even have the allowed 1 drink (Just so you all know I dont condone drink driving ). I also drive to northwich about 10 times a year but even thats only a 70mile roundtrip.
My car is an old banger but reliable, this is just incase the unforseen happens and it does break down.

Ive heard good things about the AA but then Ive also heard bad things so anyones experience of them or others is appreciated, thanks again everyone, always know this is the place to post to get good advice .
Green flag sound the best IMHO. If you only do short journeys Green flag give value for money.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:59   #7
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

I'm withGEM (Guild of Experienced Motorists), there are 3 levels of cover and membership to the Guild is included. You pay for any repairs done at the roadside and they re-imburse you later (only took 24 hours to refund me when I claimed - they pride themselves on their quick response) and have always been really helpful whenever I've had dealings with them.
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:36   #8
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron25
...I don't know about breakdown service because you would need to be a member but you should be able to join up straight away.
you can join up straight away but they wont come out to you for something like 48 hours at least otherwise no one would bother being a member until they had a breakdown!
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:50   #9
Scarlett
Inactive

Scarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Scarlett

I personally use autohome (they don't seem to have a web link though) they are based in Northampton. 01604 232336 but they have agreements with load of independants country wide.

You could also try this page which seems to cover the main ones.

Have you spoken to your insurance company ? they often have deals with a breakdown co. and might give you a slightly cheaper price.

As you don't actually travel far, you will probably want a lower level of cover. If I recall, I have the 'take you on to destination' and I pay extra because I sometimes tow but I could go cheaper than that.

Personally I'd join up as just recovery from an M-way is going to be the same as a years cover and I've needed it every year so far (flat tyre and the nut holding the spare snapped off the chassis, cell of the battery died and new brake's overheating.)

The outlay is worth it for the peace of mind.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:54   #10
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

The main difference between the AA and the RAC is the AA covers an individual person (so whatever car you are in can be fixed) and the RAC covers the car (whoever is driving). The rest I'm not sure about, but decide which sort of cover and then check. You will probably be charged extra for an "at home" service which given your prsent driving pattern would be useful.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:36   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

The big companies, AA, RAC, Green Flag, all ahve a number of tiers of cover.

Realisitically, given your local travel, you only need the basic breakdown cover whcih will offer roadside assistance or recovery to the nearest suitable garage. Given that you are within 6 miles of home, on averagem narest garage is quite likley to be one you wold agree with.

Homestart may be a benefit. Most of the companies do not cover you within 1/4 mile of your home (just in case your attempt to bump start the car down a hill fails). On the other hand it is an extra cost, and if your car wasn't to start in the morning it would be incovenient, but is the car going to be stranded somewhere vulnerable, not reallly if it was safely parked.

You won't need relay type services - car and passengers can continue their journey, or be returned home. That's great for those who can travel a long way.

As for cover types, if the car is driven by many people yo uwant to cover the car, rather than yourself. Organisations like the AA, ususally cover the individual (can add a wife, but not sure about other drivers). RAC cover the car. Green Flag offer car by default, but they do offer personal cover too. If you are likley to flit between different cars, as you are paying the cover, not your dad (it's his problem if his car breaks down when he is in it right?), I'd get personal type cover, that way you can get assistance even whe a passenger in a friends dodgy banger.

You might be able to get a pay and use type service, i.e. you only phone and try and become a member when you need it/ If the breakdown co is quiet at the time they might allow it, but otherwise you'll be back at the queue. If you going for that option I'd say you have no peace of mind that you will get promp-t assistance when in a tight spot. You'd do just as well tohave the number of a few local recovery firms with you.

All breakdwon co memberships will cover their attendance and recovery services only. If parts are supplied, that will be a cost payable at the time. As ever check the small print to see what the cover offered will actually do.

Personally I had the AA for a number of years and on the couple of occasions I wanted help they were very prompt. I'm now with Green Flag, as they were offerred cheaply throuhg my car insurance package. Don't know if they are up to it thought, as never needed them.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:38   #12
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

I'm with the AA as it came with my car. I had to use them once and found the service to be excellent. They towed me to the garage and then arranged for myself to get a hire car and drove me to the airport to collect it.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:42   #13
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua
The main difference between the AA and the RAC is the AA covers an individual person (so whatever car you are in can be fixed) and the RAC covers the car (whoever is driving).
This is incorrect. I'm with the RAC and they covered me when I was a passenger in my father's car when it broke down.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:49   #14
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
This is incorrect. I'm with the RAC and they covered me when I was a passenger in my father's car when it broke down.
This must be an option they have decided to offer (but not advertise).
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:54   #15
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua
This must be an option they have decided to offer (but not advertise).
http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdowncover/...=WEB01#2276514

The 9th question down underneath 'General Questions':

Quote:
If I buy a new car or am borrowing a friends car etc - will my RAC membership cover me?

Yes (except for Vehicle Based membership). RAC membership is person based, it covers you whilst travelling as a driver or passenger with any vehicle. (For restrictions, please refer to terms of membership)

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote