Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless turned itself back on!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Wireless turned itself back on!

Old 22-02-2012, 21:50   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Wireless turned itself back on!

After a morning of outage, I noticed that when the connection returned, all 3 LEDs on the Shub were lit.

I thought nothing of it at first, but today I looked at http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable and saw that this meant my wireless was enabled. I am hard wired here so never use wireless.

I turned it back off via http://192.168.100.1/Index.asp, then decided to see if anything else had changed.

One setting (UPnp) was enabled, whereas the blurb says it is disabled by default. So should I disable it?

Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2012, 22:30   #2
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wireless turned itself back on!

upnp (universal plug and play) is a protocol that allows applications to tell the router what ports they need forwarding. In theory its a good idea.

In practice it was poorly implemented, and lead to security issues.

My opinion: Leave it off.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 23:06   #3
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Unless you actually need UPnP then imo it's better left off. As you don't know what it is you don't need it.

In the past I've had at least one ADSL router which was unstable with it turned on and as we all should know by now the SuperHub firmware wasn't subjected to very rigorous testing so the fewer features you use the less chance there is of finding more bugs.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:51   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Thanks for the advice... I have now turned off UPnp.
Old 23-02-2012, 21:59   #5
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I'm puzzled. 192.168.100.1 is the modem mode address. There is no menu available to turn wireless on/off. Unless you mean you turned Modem Mode off, logged back in, turned wireless off, and went back to modem mode.

OR the wrteched device had reset itself involuntarily and you got on via 192.168.0.1, did your stuff and stayed in hub mode with wireless off.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 11:18   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

http://192.168.100.1/valogin.asp is the addy I have to use to get to the Shub "control panel", then log in, select "wireless network settings", and there is the option to turn wireless on or off.

I have always had wireless mode switched off, so it must have reset itself somehow, hence my original post. I wonder if it happens a lot, and causes problems for those that don't want wireless on?
Old 24-02-2012, 11:28   #7
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

So, to be clear, you use the SH as a router; i.e. not in modem mode?

It shouldn't be possible to access the SH control panel except via 192.168.0.1 when not in modem mode. Hence I'm still puzzled.

Old 24-02-2012, 11:36   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Just had a look and modem mode is not selected. All 4 ports are used to wire connections to 4 rooms in the house.

I've never been in that tab of the shub controls before.
Old 24-02-2012, 12:55   #9
Sephiroth
Simples

Then you should be accessing the SH with 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.100.1 shouldn't work.

Old 24-02-2012, 13:30   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Then you should be accessing the SH with 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.100.1 shouldn't work.

Both work for me
Old 24-02-2012, 13:52   #11
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Tried it on my s-hub, both 0.1 and 100.1 take you to the same place when its in router mode. Never noticed that before.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 15:28   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It shouldn't be possible to access the SH control panel except via 192.168.0.1 when not in modem mode. Hence I'm still puzzled.
The Superhub is doing something that it shouldn't and not doing something that it should?

I'm puzzled that Superhub SNAFUs puzzle you
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 15:59   #13
Sephiroth
Simples

You're a puzzled pixie, Qasi.

Old 24-02-2012, 18:48   #14
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

in router mode it works at both 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.0.1

in modem mode its only accessible at 192.168.100.1
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote