Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Landline too expensive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Landline too expensive

Old 11-10-2010, 23:22   #1
Rainman
Inactive

Rainman is an unknown quantity at this point
Landline too expensive

I am seriously considering getting ride of my landline as it cost far to much.
Considering I now use my PAYG mobile all the time at 8p a call I can't justify keeping the landline phone at 10p a min call and 11p connection plus £12 a month. It seems to me Virgin and BT are just pricing them selves out of any competition. Quite a few friends have said they will give up their landline phones will they ever be as good a deal as they use to be.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2010, 23:27   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Landline too expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
I am seriously considering getting ride of my landline as it cost far to much.
Considering I now use my PAYG mobile all the time at 8p a call I can't justify keeping the landline phone at 10p a min call and 11p connection plus £12 a month. It seems to me Virgin and BT are just pricing them selves out of any competition. Quite a few friends have said they will give up their landline phones will they ever be as good a deal as they use to be.
I'm in the same position but i am willing to accept the landline cost,despite rarely using it simply to keep the discounts that come with it
Old 11-10-2010, 23:35   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Landlines are only cost effective for calls if you have a bundle, such as "free weekend" calls. However to keep the cost of other services like broadband, especially if you are bundling servicews like TV, then it can still be viable to retain the land line, even if you use it minimally.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 23:55   #4
pabloo
Inactive

pabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many featherspabloo has ruffled too many feathers

get rid...ive just virgin broadband...20 quid a month and 10 quid a month 02 rolling contract and so has the other half..luvly jubly...so 40 quid a month direct debits for half decent bb and 2 mobile phones..u know it makes scense rodney
pabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39   #5
FairyFairy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light

I find the landline calls expensive as well but am willing to keep it to keep the bundle cost - which aren't too bad. I use my PAYGO mobile for daytime and evening calls and the Virgin one for weekend
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 11:48   #6
teddy91
Inactive

teddy91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with where your coming from, but it is always nice to have a landline. Call me old fashioned!!!
teddy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 12:00   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Also, you are just transferring the cost of the call to your friends (I know some will have inclusive minutes, but not all) - they will pay the charge for connecting to your mobile.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 12:37   #8
Rainman
Inactive

Rainman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Landline too expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy91 View Post
I agree with where your coming from, but it is always nice to have a landline. Call me old fashioned!!!
Your old fashion Teddy91 , but you are right I still got a old GPO bakelite phone and it still works forget the Ipod's
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 19:46   #9
scorpionatthepc
Inactive

Services: Tivo On Medium Plus.Xbox 360,Nexus 7,HTC Desire S & Sky Freesat
scorpionatthepc is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the lowest tv package you can have + 10mb broadband and landline. Rung them up and they said I would only be £1 better off if I got rid of the phone line so you can't win.
scorpionatthepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 20:07   #10
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

My 50 Mb/s BB and Phone with unlimited 59Min calls bundle means that the phone side costs me roughly £2 a month after the bundle discount, during the month I make on average 20 – 35 Hours of calls, not what I would call too expensive.
Dread to think what I would pay if I used a mobile phone.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:45   #11
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionatthepc View Post
I have the lowest tv package you can have + 10mb broadband and landline. Rung them up and they said I would only be £1 better off if I got rid of the phone line so you can't win.
...but surely that is winning. You appear to have a landline for £1 per month!
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 18:35   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I keep mine because it works even under the most extreme of weather conditions.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:34   #13
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

I'll keep mine as well so people can get hold of me, it's registered with the doctor/dentist etc.

I just don't use it except when its free.

You know any landline provider is overcharging when calls from a mobile are cheaper.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 13:16   #14
FairyFairy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light

Virgin must be wondering why not many people are using their landline for charged calls!!!!!!!
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 15:57   #15
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyFairy View Post

Virgin must be wondering why not many people are using their landline for charged calls!!!!!!!
...and when they find out they will start using the BT trick.

You must use your landline at least two times a month or you will get a £1.50 per month surcharge for non-use.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote