Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin ADSL Broadband Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin ADSL Broadband Question

Old 08-04-2007, 13:45   #1
RileyM
Inactive

Services: FreeviewHD BT Broadband Option 3 Sly World 3D + ESPN Nokia N8 (O2 UK)
RileyM is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RileyM Send a message via Yahoo to RileyM
Question Virgin ADSL Broadband Question

Hi All

I've got a quick question regarding the Virgin Media ADSL Broadband Service. We are currently with the Virgin Cable Broadband, but will soon be moving off-net.

My question is, will i be able to use my own DSL/Cable Wireless router (Belkin F5D7231-4 v2)? I heard that the standard (cheaper) ADSL modems provided by some ISPs only connect via USB (or something like that) which would mean that i cannot as the router requires Ethernet for the WAN connection. I'd like to know so that we know whether or not to take the Router option with the Virgin Media Bundle One (£19.99/month) or the "freeview" STB.

Also, if we decide to to go with Bundle Two (£14.99/month) or take the Free TV "freeview" instead and pay the £40 for the wireless router (if required), will the router be ours which we can then use on other ADSL ISPs if we leave Virgin ADSL? Or will it still belong to them and need to be returned upon cancellation?

Thanks in advance
RileyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2007, 13:27   #2
Pimmo2000
Inactive

Pimmo2000 is on a distinguished roadPimmo2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin ADSL Broadband Question

The first answer is NO. A cable router and an ADSL router have different connections. You current use the Virgin modem connected via an ethernet cable, with ADSL you connec the router to the phone socket as the router actually has the modem in side it.

Pimmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 14:25   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Sorry that's incorrect. Provided the ADSL modem has an ethernet port, the existing DSL/Cable router will be able to connect via it's WAN port. You may have to change some of the settings in the router's admin pages so it knows it's using ADSL rather than cable.

It's the ADSL routers, that have the inbuilt modem, that can't readily be used on cable, as you haven't got an ability to connect a WAN port from the router to the cable modem.

The problem, as stated by the OP, is to ensure you get supplied with an ADSL modem that has ethernet rather than USB ports.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 15:54   #4
RileyM
Inactive

Services: FreeviewHD BT Broadband Option 3 Sly World 3D + ESPN Nokia N8 (O2 UK)
RileyM is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RileyM Send a message via Yahoo to RileyM

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmo2000 View Post
NO...You current use the Virgin modem connected via an ethernet cable, with ADSL you connec the router to the phone socket as the router actually has the modem in side it.
Sorry that's incorrect. Provided the ADSL modem has an ethernet port, the existing DSL/Cable router will be able to connect via it's WAN port...It's the ADSL routers, that have the inbuilt modem, that can't readily be used on cable, as you haven't got an ability to connect a WAN port from the router to the cable modem.
Thanks for clarifying that. I thought the 1st reply may be incorrect.

I was sure that the only reason that you couldn't use an ADSL wireless router on cable was because most (if not all) ADSL routers included a built-in modem. Hence why they ADSL routers are reffered to as "ADSL router" while cable compatible ones are labelled as "DSL/Cable router" instead of just "cable router". And from your post it seems to clarify my understanding about it.

Quote:
You may have to change some of the settings in the router's admin pages so it knows it's using ADSL rather than cable.
Yeh there are a couple of settings in the router's config pages for different types of connections.

Quote:
The problem...is to ensure you get supplied with an ADSL modem that has ethernet rather than USB ports.
So are there any ideas if Virgin Media provide ADSL modems with ethernet? And if it's possible to request one?

RileyM
RileyM is offline   Reply With Quote