Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dumped VM TV - Can keep the box, but what for?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Dumped VM TV - Can keep the box, but what for?

Old 18-03-2017, 11:54   #1
NoCableForMe
cf.member

NoCableForMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Dumped VM TV - Can keep the box, but what for?

I dumped VM TV and a few days ago I got an email from Virgin saying I did not need to return the box, guess it's more hassle for them to recycle it.

Is the box good for anything else? Or just a a brick?

I was going to just to open it for the hard disk as a spare but I see I need a special type of screwdriver.
NoCableForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2017, 14:43   #2
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Dumped VM TV - Can keep the box, but what for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCableForMe View Post
I dumped VM TV and a few days ago I got an email from Virgin saying I did not need to return the box, guess it's more hassle for them to recycle it.

I was going to just to open it for the hard disk as a spare but I see I need a special type of screwdriver.

It will make a good door stop.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 17:34   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

I'm surprised that they don't want a TiVo back.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 22:45   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm surprised that they don't want a TiVo back.
It's so last decade, Richard.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 23:57   #5
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Be careful as vm are sly and may still ask for box back, wait a couple of months first before attempting anything.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 00:27   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Be careful as vm are sly and may still ask for box back, wait a couple of months first before attempting anything.
It depends what box it is the OP has. I think the 1TB boxes are still return items.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 05:54   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Sound advice. They told me that they didn't want my old V+ back when I switched to a TiVo.

I then received an abrupt text saying that they hadn't received their equipment back and that they would be passing it to their collections department!

Luckily I still had it, but insisted that they picked it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
It depends what box it is the OP has. I think the 1TB boxes are still return items.
Given that they were creating over a V+ box in March 2016, i'm genuinely surprised to find out that they don't want some of their TiVo boxes back.

After introducing Nagra 3, they also said that every box would be collected as this had contributed to piracy.
Old 19-03-2017, 12:56   #8
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Still better to wait a bit before salvaging hard drive just to be on safe side.
BT are funny ask you to pay £65 for box then ask you to send it back lol.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 13:54   #9
NoCableForMe
cf.member

NoCableForMe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have it in writing, branded email. I'll stick in the loft for a few months though to be on the safe site

Virgin Media
Hello,

Just to let you know, you don't need to send your disconnected equipment back to us.

I was told I'd be charged if I didn't return my equipment

Don't worry – you won't be charged a penny. We might have told you about charges for unreturned equipment, but these no longer apply to you.

What should I do with the equipment?

You can either keep hold of it – in case you want to join Virgin Media again – or recycle it. You can find your nearest recycling centre at www.recycle-more.co.uk

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team
NoCableForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 15:16   #10
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

When I asked Retentions about returning my V+ I was told to take it to a recycling centre. I suspect that VM find it cheaper to get the customer to do this rather than have a whole department to deal with returned equipment.
Old 19-03-2017, 20:50   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Didn't know you'd changed over Maggie. Were you forced to change? How are you finding your TiVo (or V6)?
Old 19-03-2017, 22:20   #12
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I've not had to return the 2 V+ boxes I've had in the last year, the Hard disks that were in them seem to be fine though
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:31   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Unless it's changed, there's only one brand that they want back and another that they don't.

The brands are SA and Samsung, can't remember which they wanted back though!

Unless this has changed???
Old 20-03-2017, 14:44   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Neither V+ HD is required to be returned now. Nor the V HD.

The boxes that VM want back are the TiVo boxes, the V6 and the Hub 3.0 - unless you're notified otherwise.
Old 20-03-2017, 14:59   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Neither V+ HD is required to be returned now. Nor the V HD.

The boxes that VM want back are the TiVo boxes, the V6 and the Hub 3.0 - unless you're notified otherwise.
The technician who installed my two V6s took away my old Tivo as well as my V HD box.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote