Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Huge fire at West London tower block

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Huge fire at West London tower block

Old 07-07-2017, 15:08   #361
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Huge fire at West London tower block

My point was that they can't have it both ways.

If they want to stay in the area it's going to be extremely unlikely that they'll get anywhere without having sight of the burned out flats.

Also, it's worth remembering that each person affected will have had a different experience. Someone on the ground floor​ may have been able to simply walk outside, whilst those further up may have experienced permanent damage to their lungs or witnessed people dying around them.

Should we treat them all the same when it comes to accessing support and services?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2017, 15:24   #362
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
My point was that they can't have it both ways.

If they want to stay in the area it's going to be extremely unlikely that they'll get anywhere without having sight of the burned out flats.
The district is quite large so I think it probably is possible albeit maybe less easy. I haven't heard of them denying accommodation on that basis. I don't really have an opinion one way or another on that.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 16:26   #363
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The district is quite large so I think it probably is possible albeit maybe less easy. I haven't heard of them denying accommodation on that basis. I don't really have an opinion one way or another on that.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g...ssed-dh0v09ljw (behind paywall)

Quote:
Offers of housing have been made to 139 families but most have been refused because they were seen as unsuitable, sometimes too small or too far from relatives and schools. Some residents rejected properties close to the burnt-out tower, which caused distress.

Aziza Boud, 44, a mother of five who is staying in two hotel rooms with her children, said the only offer she had received was in another borough. Her hotel rooms have been rebooked until the end of August.

“They offered me something like for like but it was so far from the kids’ school,” she said. “Why should I go there when we have lived in the area and our homes were here? The council don’t come here or tell us anything. Everything we hear is from hotel staff.”

Sid-ali Atmani, who has lived in Kensington for 21 years, said the only accommodation he had been offered was in Westminster. It had only two bedrooms and was not big enough for his family. “We are not asking for the moon, we are asking for dignity,” he said.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 16:37   #364
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

How sure how they can whinge about a new property being too small, when almost all of the flats were 1 or 2 bedroom ones.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 18:35   #365
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
How sure how they can whinge about a new property being too small, when almost all of the flats were 1 or 2 bedroom ones.
They were but if you look at a picture of the rooms in Grenfell House the rooms were huge in size plenty of open space , the flats were large .
Old 07-07-2017, 18:43   #366
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
They were but if you look at a picture of the rooms in Grenfell House the rooms were huge in size plenty of open space , the flats were large .
Older places tend to have much bigger rooms then a lot of the newer builds.
Old 07-07-2017, 18:45   #367
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Older places tend to have much bigger rooms then a lot of the newer builds.
That's very true denphone, indeed the properties where I live the older ones have the largest rooms for sure.
Old 07-07-2017, 18:47   #368
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
That's very true denphone, indeed the properties where I live the older ones have the largest rooms for sure.
Some of these newer builds have bedrooms more akin to box rooms Richard.
Old 07-07-2017, 18:53   #369
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Some of these newer builds have bedrooms more akin to box rooms Richard.
Yes they do more like we have this plot of land how small can we make the rooms, to maximise our yield(Builder speak for profit) denphone.
Old 07-07-2017, 18:57   #370
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40530354

Why it isn't so easy to rehouse so many people in one area in a short time.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 19:08   #371
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40530354

Why it isn't so easy to rehouse so many people in one area in a short time.
Yes it will take a long time to re house them all , personally I think the modular housing idea is a very good one quick to put up , and will buy a few years whilst a permanent solution is found.
Old 07-07-2017, 20:05   #372
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Yes it will take a long time to re house them all , personally I think the modular housing idea is a very good one quick to put up , and will buy a few years whilst a permanent solution is found.
I might be wrong but I'd be very surprised if many of these families would opt for that. I have a feeling they've been 'advised' that they can and should expect far better. I have some sympathy with that but that is what's causing the delays, not the council.

Last edited by Osem; 07-07-2017 at 20:18.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 20:53   #373
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

"It's too small" , "it's too far away", " it's too close" , "it's the wrong colour" , " it's the wrong shape"

How about, " I'm flucking lucky to be alive. I'll manage with what I get given, as I know it's temporary and there's a lot of stuff to sort out.

.??
Old 07-07-2017, 21:13   #374
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
"It's too small" , "it's too far away", " it's too close" , "it's the wrong colour" , " it's the wrong shape"

How about, " I'm flucking lucky to be alive. I'll manage with what I get given, as I know it's temporary and there's a lot of stuff to sort out.

.??
their all in what can i get out of this mode
Old 07-07-2017, 21:29   #375
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

The council in "How to get a council house" had a 3 strikes rule, turn down 3 and you off the list.
wonder if they have the same here.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote