Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Blind drivers at the wheel?

Old 15-04-2013, 12:53   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Blind drivers at the wheel?

Quote:
Innovations in automated driving have led to speculation that blind people may be able to take to the wheel. But do they want to drive - and could it become a reality?

How would you feel if a blind person pulled up next to you in a car?

This time last year, Google released a video showing a blind man driving a car. He was seen going to a local drive-through restaurant near his home in San Jose, California, and later collecting dry cleaning without any difficulty.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21720318

Could be a godsend for some I imagine but what happens when a blind driver is involved in a breakdown or whatever in a dangerous situation e.g. on a motorway? The car can only drive itself if it's working and how on Earth would a blind person be able to get to safety without help?

It'd be interesting to hear how any of our blind members feel about this.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2013, 12:58   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Blind drivers at the wheel?

Maybe we should get sighted drivers driving properly before worrying about blind ones
Old 15-04-2013, 13:04   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Maybe we should get sighted drivers driving properly before worrying about blind ones
They're the ones I'm worried about, mowing down blind drivers who find themselves in trouble. I suppose this sort of thing could work in defined urban areas but can't help thinking these people would be targets for road rage as well.
Old 15-04-2013, 13:05   #4
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21720318

Could be a godsend for some I imagine but what happens when a blind driver is involved in a breakdown or whatever in a dangerous situation e.g. on a motorway? The car can only drive itself if it's working and how on Earth would a blind person be able to get to safety without help?

It'd be interesting to hear how any of our blind members feel about this.
Good idea if its safe believe there blind man in america been given green light.

I could imagine Atos licking lips to give blind people fit for work and can do taxi service or delivery man jobs

I would imagine the system could inform breakdown.

My worry seen vid where it got confused nearly drove out on motorway lane to another. Man had to take over might been early development of it.

I believe its got sensor to shut down on malfunction but does have like Airbus few computures.

Can we have the flying car next
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 13:09   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

The concern has to be how automated and reliable the automation is. In theory the human driver can adapt to changed circumstances with the road such as obstructions. Driverless systems where the vehicle has to rigidly follow a prescribed route, and can't deviate, such as trains, can work. Although technology is coming on leaps and bounds, I would expect roads are too variable and unpredictable, for something to be completely automated, without the possibility of human intervention.

Quote:
[url]Could be a godsend for some I imagine but what happens when a blind driver is involved in a breakdown or whatever in a dangerous situation e.g. on a motorway? The car can only drive itself if it's working and how on Earth would a blind person be able to get to safety without help?
Can't see that is much different to many supposedly able bodied drivers who wouldn't be able to push their vehicle to the side of a road, let alone the many mobility impaired drivers who have adapted vehicles, who cannot swiftly get out of their cars.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 13:15   #6
Osem
Inactive

Well I wasn't thinking about pushing cars tbh as that's beyond many people and cars which break down often can't be pushed anyway. I was thinking more about the problem of being unable to see oncoming traffic for example when trying to get to safety out of a stranded car. Yes it is a problem already shared by some other groups of people but I do think the blind would be particularly vulnerable in such circumstances.
Old 15-04-2013, 13:23   #7
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Well I wasn't thinking about pushing cars tbh as that's beyond many people and cars which break down often can't be pushed anyway. I was thinking more about the problem of being unable to see oncoming traffic for example when trying to get to safety out of a stranded car. Yes it is a problem already shared by some other groups of people but I do think the blind would be particularly vulnerable in such circumstances.

Correct ,driving isn't just about getting from A-B via a prescribed route ,you have to be fully aware of your surroundings and what's happening with other vehicles not just the one you are driving .This system would most likely be able to get someone from A-B perfectly safely but it would not be able to deal with problems like hitting a pot hole ,other drivers taking wrong turns/being in the wrong lane/stopping suddenly and any of the other myriad of small problems that sighted drivers deal with almost subconsciously.
Old 15-04-2013, 13:26   #8
Osem
Inactive

Where's Dilli when you need him anyway.
Old 15-04-2013, 13:33   #9
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

seen vids they very good picking up animals, people and cars hazards. The perception of danger quicker than human steers around or stops.

My only concern is the un normal such as madman deciding go down road wrong way. The system will only be as good as the programming coming from doing programming that biggest limitation on any system. If you dont programme every scenerio or the programmer limited in coding eventualities it will fail at somepoint get confused.

If there conflicting decisions it will either make a decision right or wrongly to the problem or shut down. We often have term called fuzzy logic our lifts go crazy at certain temprature. Sends you to wrong floor the comapny unable to solve it. So the risks assesment cant be done properly due nature of the device. Tske nuke the only time its fired in anger is only time you know software will work or fail. You can test software all you like in sims but unless you go through absolute every verable you cant give 100% approval.

Would the same issue happen so makes wrong decision due to corruption in data. Another concern outside sabotarge is it closed system or open if open can some scroat with laptop hijack the software re-programme or remote control it.
Old 15-04-2013, 13:34   #10
martyh

Quote:
Where's Dilli when you need him anyway.
Driving lesson?
Old 15-04-2013, 13:37   #11
mertle
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Driving lesson?
thats good point would actually need licence to own it what about insurance.
Old 15-04-2013, 13:59   #12
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

yeah, it was a fun lesson :-)

I don't think I'll get a self driving car any time soon though.

I'm just glad that I never learnt to drive and saved a whole load of cash.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
thats good point would actually need licence to own it what about insurance.
really? I've got a car and it's registered in my name.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 14:37   #13
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Is this just a new angle on 'cars that drive themselves'?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 15:06   #14
mertle
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Is this just a new angle on 'cars that drive themselves'?

Martyh needs worry future Asimo after his job

dilligaf1701 I mean if you not techinically going to be driver would you need licence to drive. What would insurance companies make of the situation. In by accounts they safer humans but that might not reflect so in insurance costs.
Old 15-04-2013, 15:12   #15
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
Martyh needs worry future Asimo after his job

dilligaf1701 I mean if you not techinically going to be driver would you need licence to drive. What would insurance companies make of the situation. In by accounts they safer humans but that might not reflect so in insurance costs.
There are already driverless cars (presumably insured) with a license.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17989553
Personally, I'm going to take a lot of convincing it's safe.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote