Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] The News Corp scandal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Update] The News Corp scandal

Old 04-07-2011, 22:41   #31
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Update on Phone-hacking inquiry: News of the World Apologises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
No evidence they helped the killer as I am guessing he didn't phone her. Just more evidence of the insensitive and callous nature of some of our press. You would think the journalists involved would feel bad about it but I am really beginning to wonder about these people....Used to think it was simply the editors enforcing a line but now I think the journalists really think this behaviour is ok.
No direct evidence, but it is a distinct possibility:

Quote:
The deletion of the messages also caused difficulties for the police by confusing the picture when they had few leads to pursue.It also potentially destroyed valuable evidence.

According to one senior source familiar with the Surrey police investigation: "It can happen with abduction murders that the perpetrator will leave messages, asking the missing person to get in touch, as part of their efforts at concealment. We need those messages as evidence. Anybody who destroys that evidence is seriously interfering with the course of a police investigation."
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2011, 23:09   #32
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

To be honest there is nothing I can say that I haven't said several times before about the gutter these people dwell in. Unlike the politicians, the celebraties and the public servants the press is quite keen to expose, vilify and lecture on mortality, they have no one holding them to account. They poison public discourse, they deliberately seek to cause public anger and outrage at often trivial or non-existant 'scandals'.

Nothing we can do about it. People still buy the paper, they will remember that it can't be trusted until it publishes something they agree with and it suddenly becomes a trustworthy source. Then, in a few months, they will expose some moron celebrity who has had an affair which they learned off via similar dodgy means and everyone will tut with moral indignation and around and around we go.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:54   #33
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

I wonder why all of this has recently started to come out... someone with friends in Millbank perhaps who are on a mission to discredit Murdoch's tools of manipulation? (I hope so).

Freedom of the press is one of the cornerstones of our society but it is unfortunately a value which is inherently flawed in it's openness to abuse by this type of ****. I hope this really is the beginning of the end for the notw and the dismantling of Murdoch's empire. Let the dirt be dished.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 14:24   #34
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families...

I've been listening to this unfolding on the radio during this morning and I'm absolutely gobsmacked.

I am waiting with interest to hear how Rebekah Brooks (nee Wade) articulates her inevitable defence of "Yes, I was the editor, but no, I didn't know how we were getting that information about Milly and I didn't ask."

If Rupert Murdoch allows her to continue leading News International's internal investigation in the light of these new allegations, well ... there simply aren't words.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 16:53   #35
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
I wonder why all of this has recently started to come out... someone with friends in Millbank perhaps who are on a mission to discredit Murdoch's tools of manipulation? (I hope so).

Freedom of the press is one of the cornerstones of our society but it is unfortunately a value which is inherently flawed in it's openness to abuse by this type of ****. I hope this really is the beginning of the end for the notw and the dismantling of Murdoch's empire. Let the dirt be dished.
Rupert Murdoch has had a insidious influence on this country for far too long and with politicians of both sides as well and the sooner his empire unravels the better in my mind.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've been listening to this unfolding on the radio during this morning and I'm absolutely gobsmacked.

I am waiting with interest to hear how Rebekah Brooks (nee Wade) articulates her inevitable defence of "Yes, I was the editor, but no, I didn't know how we were getting that information about Milly and I didn't ask."

If Rupert Murdoch allows her to continue leading News International's internal investigation in the light of these new allegations, well ... there simply aren't words.
Nothing surprises me about Murdoch or his cronies.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 17:27   #36
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families...

Now suggestions that the Soham families have also been contacted

Quote:
Parents of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman contacted by detectives investigating phone hacking at the News of the World
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...amilies-police

Sickening.
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 17:40   #37
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Sickening it is. However as a nation we need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. Our national newspapers are commercial operations that stand or fall on their circulation figures. They run the stories they do, because those stories sell papers.

It is no longer good enough for us to say we didn't know how the journalists got their information. We now know exactly the sort of measures that are employed. The question now is, will we as a nation stop supporting these rags with our pocket change?
Old 05-07-2011, 18:01   #38
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Wonder what more is it come? Imagine the headlines the News of the World would have come up with if someone else had hacked these phones? Big picture of the perpetrator, their name and a long article condemning them and their 'sick' acts.
Old 05-07-2011, 18:07   #39
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It was Ms. Wade that led the wave of vigilantism against suspected pedophiles with her 'name and shame' campaign while she was editor of the Screws. And we all know what a public service that turned out to be.

She's a thoroughly ruthless and unpleasant hack who will say and do whatever she needs to do in the commercial interests of her employer. She's the very last person to be leading an enquiry into these goings on. She may be whiter than white so far as knowledge of, or involvement with, the phone hacking scandal is concerned, but the fact is, it all took place on her watch. She needs to be a million miles away from it right now, or else people will justifiably suspect a whitewash.
Old 05-07-2011, 18:20   #40
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

So if they were able to hack into the data for the phones what else could they have been getting access to ? . Internet usage, email data, the mind boggles

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 18:23   #41
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

They only 'hacked' into them to the extent that most people don't have remote access to their mobile voicemail set up properly - it is often still on the default PIN, or if it has been set it is often an easily guessable number. Simply a case of dialling in and entering the PIN. Hacking properly secured or encrypted data would be a whole different matter and probably beyond the skillz of a freelance reporter or private dick.
Old 05-07-2011, 18:30   #42
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

The other thing is Rebekah Wade denied most to this the PCC and she told a commons inquiry that The Guardian "has substantially and likely deliberately misled the British public" when they printed the allegations. They should sue, more than enough evidence that she was fibbing there.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

According to Twitter - Ford and NPower have pulled out of advertising in the News of the World. Doubt it makes a difference but there you go.
Old 05-07-2011, 18:31   #43
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Have the people that have done this got any morals or would they even sell a story on their own family to get a quick buck. I thought that it was just sick with the first story on this thread but if the other is true it is disgusting.
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 18:32   #44
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sickening it is. However as a nation we need to take a long, hard look in the mirror. Our national newspapers are commercial operations that stand or fall on their circulation figures. They run the stories they do, because those stories sell papers.

It is no longer good enough for us to say we didn't know how the journalists got their information. We now know exactly the sort of measures that are employed. The question now is, will we as a nation stop supporting these rags with our pocket change?
Exactly Chris but l am afraid it is going to be very hard to change the insidious influences of the media.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 20:03   #45
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Anyone who is interested in this and is near a TV, watch Channel 4 news NOW.

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

News of the World campaigned with Sara Payne for Sarah's Law, guess what they were alleged to have been doing while that was happening? Yup. Hacking her phone.