Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1 high beep one low beep on boot-up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Ad-blockers

Old 12-02-2004, 23:40   #1
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Ad-blockers

Can anyone recommend a good (and free) ad-blocker. Not a popup blocker (I have google toolbar), not a spyware blocker ( I have spywareblaster, ad aware and spybot ). Just one that blocks adverts.
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2004, 23:44   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Ad-blockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
Can anyone recommend a good (and free) ad-blocker. Not a popup blocker (I have google toolbar), not a spyware blocker ( I have spywareblaster, ad aware and spybot ). Just one that blocks adverts.
have you considered using a hosts file It's free, and I find it fairly effective.

Edit: or look here for a version which uses a script so you can use it behind a proxy.

Basically, what it does it 'reroutes' traffic from known ad servers to 127.0.0.1, which is the 'local host' As a result, the ads don't get shown. It's all explained in the above links.
Old 12-02-2004, 23:54   #3
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
have you considered using a hosts file It's free, and I find it fairly effective.

Edit: or look here for a version which uses a script so you can use it behind a proxy.

Basically, what it does it 'reroutes' traffic from known ad servers to 127.0.0.1, which is the 'local host' As a result, the ads don't get shown. It's all explained in the above links.
That looks intriguing. Do you use it? What are your thoughts on it?
This bit worried me:
Quote:
Those of you who use Windows 2000/XP Pro and use the very large version of the Hosts file may experience system slowdowns and slow connections. Most often, this is noticed by those with dialup connections, but may occur with broadband connections as well.
Since I use XP on BB.
Old 13-02-2004, 00:01   #4
zendawn
Permanently Banned

zendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the roughzendawn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'd recommend AdShield, you can tell it what you want to block, be it adverts, pictures or flash ads.

http://dbforums.com/arch/222/2003/6/805048

The link above has info on ad blockers including Adshield.
zendawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 00:03   #5
philip.j.fry
Inactive

philip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
philip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze age

If you use Mozilla or Firebird/FireFox, I can heartily reccomend the ad-block extension on texturizer.net, and also the flash click to view extension (same site)
philip.j.fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 00:05   #6
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendawn
I'd recommend AdShield, you can tell it what you want to block, be it adverts, pictures or flash ads.

http://dbforums.com/arch/222/2003/6/805048

The link above has info on ad blockers including Adshield.
Which can be found here. Thanks for that, it looks good but it's not free. btw...do you use it?
Old 13-02-2004, 00:06   #7
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
This bit worried me: Since I use XP on BB.
I find it works quite well. (I don't see most ads on this forum ), a few get through, for instance if the ad is served from the site your accessing, but it stops quite a few.

I don't notice it slowing my connection down, but if it does, it is very easy to disable it. Also, there are several hosts files out there. In the quote, it says it is the large version that may cause problems.

One thing to consider is that when you have set IE to automatically detect settings, it won't work and you have to specify a script, as per the second link I posted.

I'd suggest you just try it. If it works for you: great. If it doesn't just disable it again... Also note that this is not a program you're using. You are just replacing a file that is already on your system with one that has some addresses for ad servers in it. If you don't like it, just go back to the old version (which you've obviously renamed rather than overwritten)

Oh, and there is the chance that the site you are trying to access is in your hosts file (and then it won't load), but I've never seen that happen as the file lists ad servers rather than legitimate sites.

Edit: I'm on XP 600kb BB
Old 13-02-2004, 00:08   #8
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.j.fry
If you use Mozilla or Firebird/FireFox, I can heartily recommend the ad-block extension on texturizer.net, and also the flash click to view extension (same site)
Yup, thought about using a better/ more functional browser than IE6 but don't want to risk encountering problems with websites....thinks back to Netscape *shudders*
.....I loved Netscape but hated how some sites were Netscape unfriendly
Old 13-02-2004, 00:18   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
This bit worried me: Since I use XP on BB.
It's true - a large hosts file can seriously hamper a w2000 pc, and I guess the same would happen with XP. It sends the CPU through the roof every so often, grinding everything to a halt.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 00:22   #10
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
I'd suggest you just try it. If it works for you: great. If it doesn't just disable it again... Also note that this is not a program you're using. You are just replacing a file that is already on your system with one that has some addresses for ad servers in it. If you don't like it, just go back to the old version (which you've obviously renamed rather than overwritten)
I am tempted to try it but I cannot make a copy of my 'hosts' file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem
It's true - a large hosts file can seriously hamper a w2000 pc, and I guess the same would happen with XP. It sends the CPU through the roof every so often, grinding everything to a halt.
and you are giving me second thoughts as well
Old 13-02-2004, 00:27   #11
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
I am tempted to try it but I cannot make a copy of my 'hosts' file
Just open a dos box, go to to the directory specified in the link (i.e where the hosts file lives), type 'ren hosts host.old' (or whatever you like that doesn't exist yet), and then place the hosts file you downloaded in the directory (and make sure is is called hosts without extension, but that is all explained in the link).
Old 13-02-2004, 00:35   #12
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Just open a dos box, go to to the directory specified in the link (i.e where the hosts file lives), type 'ren hosts host.old' (or whatever you like that doesn't exist yet), and then place the hosts file you downloaded in the directory (and make sure is is called hosts without extension, but that is all explained in the link).
Pretend that I know next to nothing about 'puters
....cos it's 20 years since I used dos
Old 13-02-2004, 00:42   #13
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay

Just noticed in this forum, that sumbody said, the ads from this site dont get trough, using the software they are using. Surley there is a distinction between ood advertiing and bad.. ie the ads on this site are just pure banner ads and dont launch pop-ups and dont fill the screen. These kind of ads are necassery to keep sites going. We should allow these with open arms. its the 1 million popups etc that should be stopped.

Just my views
Andy
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 00:43   #14
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Pretend that I know next to nothing about 'puters
....cos it's 20 years since I used dos
I know the feeling. I think your problem with renaming was that windows is not very smart about extensions. Hosts does not have an extension, so the GUI gets confused (my thoughts anyway)

I've had problems uploading a pdf to a website, and it didn't work. It turned out that the pdf distiller saved it as .PDF rather than .pdf, and the website did not accept .PDF. There is no way of spotting the difference until you go into a dos box.

Anyway, let me know how you get on...
Old 13-02-2004, 00:46   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Unless you have added something to your hosts file in the past then there is no need to take a copy of it - since it wont have any entries in it anyway.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote