Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.
View Poll Results: Should same sex civil marriage be allowed?
Yes 83 62.88%
No 42 31.82%
Undecided 7 5.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-01-2012, 11:02   #46
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
re: [MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Is there a difference though... same sex marriages need a change in the law, so by saying no are you not specifying that you don't agree to a change in the law hence preventing same sex marriages?? Whatever your personal reason is for saying no is entirely up to you but I don't see any point in hiding behind a supposed technicality
There is no technicality. The poll does not ask if I want the law to be changed to prevent gay marriage (in which case I'd have still said no).

I've already stated why I am against same sex marriage. I have also stated I would not seek to prevent it happening. There are lots of things I am against, it doesnt mean I want them 'banned' etc. The world does not dance to my beat and neither should it

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-01-2012, 11:15   #47
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
There is no technicality. The poll does not ask if I want the law to be changed to prevent gay marriage (in which case I'd have still said no).

I've already stated why I am against same sex marriage. I have also stated I would not seek to prevent it happening. There are lots of things I am against, it doesnt mean I want them 'banned' etc. The world does not dance to my beat and neither should it
I am confused. You don't want the law changed to allow gay marriage but you don't want to ban it.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 11:18   #48
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I am confused. You don't want the law changed to allow gay marriage but you don't want to ban it.
The law needs to be changed to unban it, they are the same either way you look at it as a ban can only be overturned with a law allowing it and a law allowing it is needed to overturn the ban.... So yes I'm confused as well
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 11:24   #49
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
The title of the poll is somewhat unclear: if it is asking should we allow same-sex marriages in the way we have hetro marriages then I will say no as described above.

If it is asking should we outlaw the current civil partnerships then I will also say no.

I see little to no point in changing what we have at the moment.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 31-01-2012, 11:27   #50
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Very true

We should be celebrating the love of two people.
l totally agree DF.
Old 31-01-2012, 11:29   #51
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
That's like saying you can vote but you can't discuss one of the major factors behind the reason as to why LGB (not sure where the T comes into a sexual preference) can not currently marry..
No, that's like saying you can discuss it, but please keep the discussion civil and respectable. Well, that's what I meant anyway.
Old 31-01-2012, 11:36   #52
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
The title of the poll is somewhat unclear: if it is asking should we allow same-sex marriages in the way we have hetro marriages then I will say no as described above.

If it is asking should we outlaw the current civil partnerships then I will also say no.

I see little to no point in changing what we have at the moment.
So you don't want it banned but you don't want it unbanned? I think that is just a technicality. The poll is specifying marriages not unions.
Old 31-01-2012, 12:14   #53
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
So you don't want it banned but you don't want it unbanned? I think that is just a technicality. The poll is specifying marriages not unions.
I think it's ambiguous. I can't stand an attitude of "I disagree with it so ban it", I think that's complete intolerance. There are plenty if things in life we don't have to like but for the sake of peace and respect, we should tolerate them.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 31-01-2012, 12:38   #54
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I think it's ambiguous. I can't stand an attitude of "I disagree with it so ban it", I think that's complete intolerance. There are plenty if things in life we don't have to like but for the sake of peace and respect, we should tolerate them.
So you would be in favour of permitting it in?
Old 31-01-2012, 13:05   #55
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Well I voted yes, because I see nothing wrong in same-sex couples in getting together, as long as they love each other!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:22   #56
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
Well I voted yes, because I see nothing wrong in same-sex couples in getting together, as long as they love each other!
For once l agree with you.
Old 31-01-2012, 13:32   #57
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
So you would be in favour of permitting it in?
I wouldn't stand in the way of it being made official.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 31-01-2012, 14:15   #58
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I think the question/poll is asking if you are in favour of them right? As opposed to whether you would campaign about them being official or not?

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

So for example you wouldn't want to see them banned but you're against them so you'd vote No in the Poll? Would that be right?
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 14:20   #59
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
I think the question/poll is asking if you are in favour of them right? As opposed to whether you would campaign about them being official or not?

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

So for example you wouldn't want to see them banned but you're against them so you'd vote No in the Poll? Would that be right?
That's more like it

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 31-01-2012, 14:26   #60
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I think a lot of people from a religious background will say they are not in favour of gay marriages personally, but they're not actively going to campaign against them being banned. So from my point of view I don't agree with it from a religious perspective, but if you want to go ahead and get married to someone of the same sex, it's not really my problem.

Interestingly enough I met a friend of mine a few months ago for teh first time in about 2 years. I thought he was gay, he had never mentioned it before, but when we met for a drink he told me he had got married to another guy. Was I suprised that he was gay? No. Was I suprised that he got married to another guy? No. Will I stay friends with him? Yes.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote