Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | laptop wanted

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Microsoft "actively discouraging" Windows 8 Metro

Old 07-04-2012, 21:13   #1
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
Microsoft "actively discouraging" Windows 8 Metro

Earlier this week, we reported that WinZip, the makers of the popular file compression tool, was making a Metro version of the software for Windows 8. However, it seems not all of the more popular third party software developers are planning to do the same thing. In fact, one software company claims that Microsoft is actually trying to prevent a Metro version of their popular software product.

http://www.neowin.net/news/avast-mic...-metro-version

Another reason to add to all the others why i believe Windows 8 will fail
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2012, 22:55   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Microsoft "actively discouraging" Windows 8 Metro

That actually becomes far more interesting if you work through the comments. It appears that Metro apps will run individually sandboxed and have no direct access to other processes or filing systems. If that's accurate then they've effectively locked down the system to a degree where a conventional AV will not work.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 22:04   #3
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Well if you read this on the BBC then Microsoft are still on target to upset a large amount of there user base.

Windows millennium and Windows Vista spring to mind as there last major muck ups, I will be adding Windows 8 to that list

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17740566

Quote:
For the first time since its inception, the trademark Windows "Start" button will no longer appear - instead being replaced by a sliding panel-based menu.
I for one will be staying with windows 7 which is the best OS microsoft have cobbled together in a long time.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 23:39   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I think Windows 8 will be another Windows ME..

I'll probably end up using it at work (part of my job is to ensure that our software works with any new OS released by MS or Apple), but I am not impressed by what I have seen on the consumer preview.

IF the CP is an accurate represantation of the final product, then Microsoft have changed too much in the interface. It's confusing, with menus flying on and off screen without it being obvious what the user has done. The start menu on Windows 7 is rather large, but at least the button acts as a visual clue that the user has done something, and it's a paradigm the users can identify with (with decades of research backing it). In the real world, you push a button on a machine, something happens. You don't wave your hand off the side of the machine.

Metro is a good interface. On a tablet. It's not good using a mouse, and I don't think it's going to be good with a PC touch screen. My reason? Simply because I agree with Steve Jobs. PCs with touch screens are not comfortable to use, simply because to touch the PC's screen, you have to hold your arms at an uncomfortable angle for an extended length of time.

Why is this a bad thing for Microsoft? Simply because unless the PC manufacturers get their finger out and sucessfully market PC tablets (which, based on past experience, they won't), Microsoft are potentially alienating 98% of their target market. Not a good thing for any company to do.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:41   #5
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I used the DP version and i didnt like it. Metro UI was in place of start and i think alot of users will prefer the start menu so unless that will be defualt option then i think it will be a flop but time will tell
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote