Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | laptop wanted

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

laptop wanted

Old 24-04-2012, 22:59   #1
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
laptop wanted

I'm after a new laptop ,it doesn't need to be anything special so if anyone knows of any used or refurbished laptop sites can you let me know .I have looked at Amazon and found these which are in my price range and will suit my needs,but always after a better deal if anyone knows one .

Thanks guys

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

could one of the mods please move this thread to another area as no one can post replies in it ,thanks
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2012, 23:34   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: laptop wanted

thread moved.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 23:35   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

What do you want to do on it?

If its just general office type stuff, surfing then you don't need to spend mega bucks.
Old 24-04-2012, 23:53   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
thread moved.
Cheers Rob

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
What do you want to do on it?

If its just general office type stuff, surfing then you don't need to spend mega bucks.
Peters just given me a link for this one which would fit the bill nicely i think

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy...uct_desciption

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

What i have noticed is that nearly all the new laptops i have seen are now 64bit ,pc worlds entire stock appears to be 64bit with 4-6 gb ram and quite a few 1,1.3ghz processors which i think are a bit crappy
Old 25-04-2012, 00:00   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Dell do some refurbs. Not sure how good they are, but it might be worth a look.

http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet

Also, for new laptops I've found www.laptopsdirect.co.uk are usually worth a look.
Old 27-04-2012, 18:35   #6
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

I bought a decent Compaq Presario CQ57 from PC World a few months ago for ~£320 brand new. It's a good laptop and sounds from what you asked upto the job. It was for using at work so I was on a limited budget and works fine.

PC World are quite competitive price wise these days and much easier to return to a shop than having to bother with mail order if there are problems.

If you do not require alot of disk space for movies etc, then anything in the 300Gbyte range should be fine.

If she is keen on one then don't rule out the smaller N series notebooks from Samsung. I have an NC-110 for home use (women like cute things and according to a friend it's certainly is cute). Cost £280 about 10 months ago, but is small enough to fit into my small shoulder bag and has 10 hours battery life and despite complaints of exagerated battery life on all laptops etc, it comes pretty close when just web browsing. A 1-2Gbyte memory upgrade for £11 from MrMemory made a hell of a difference. I have since replaced the HDD with a solid state drive which is amazingly fast, but currently these are quite expensive and mine was from my old laptop.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:34   #7
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
I bought a decent Compaq Presario CQ57 from PC World a few months ago for ~£320 brand new. It's a good laptop and sounds from what you asked upto the job. It was for using at work so I was on a limited budget and works fine.

PC World are quite competitive price wise these days and much easier to return to a shop than having to bother with mail order if there are problems.

If you do not require alot of disk space for movies etc, then anything in the 300Gbyte range should be fine.

If she is keen on one then don't rule out the smaller N series notebooks from Samsung. I have an NC-110 for home use (women like cute things and according to a friend it's certainly is cute). Cost £280 about 10 months ago, but is small enough to fit into my small shoulder bag and has 10 hours battery life and despite complaints of exagerated battery life on all laptops etc, it comes pretty close when just web browsing. A 1-2Gbyte memory upgrade for £11 from MrMemory made a hell of a difference. I have since replaced the HDD with a solid state drive which is amazingly fast, but currently these are quite expensive and mine was from my old laptop.
That Compaq is up for £299 at pc world now ,i did look at that as i have a compaq now and find them pretty much bomb proof ,my only issue is that the processor.....AMD Dual-Core E-300 (1.3 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache) doesn't seem very high powered for running 4+ gb ram how much of an issue that would actually be i don't know
Old 27-04-2012, 19:52   #8
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

theres a nice Intel i5 on the outlet site. also i3s. better spec that the above.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 14:15   #9
martyh

Well i ended up getting one of these at the weekend for £299 .It's not bad for the money and does all that i need it to do .Just a couple of things i don't like ,the main one being the touch pad ,it's a flush fit so i keep catching the pad with my spare fingers and stopping the pointer but i suppose it's someting i will get used to .The network module is a load of pants so i might look at getting a better one ,there're only about £10-15 so i can get a dual channel a/b/g/n one instead of the single channel b/g/n bu apart from those slight issues i am happy with the performance especially now i got rid of all the HP crapware and 6mth free trials that where installed.One thing i will say though is that i would never pay the full price of £529 for it.

If anyone's got any advice on changing the wifi module and where to get one from it would be appreciated
Old 30-04-2012, 16:41   #10
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Best of luck with your purchase. I wonder how many were sold at £529...

I use a wireless mouse with my laptop as I just hate using trackpads.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 18:19   #11
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post

Thanks Osem ,i will be changing to a
Realtek 8188BC8 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 3.0+HS Combo Adapter then i will have the option of using a wireless mouse instead of this crazy touch pad
Old 30-04-2012, 18:43   #12
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Have you tried http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

The sell loads of remanufactured laptops.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 19:23   #13
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Have you tried http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

The sell loads of remanufactured laptops.
Bit late - he's bought one!
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 23:25   #14
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Bit late - he's bought one!
Oh well. It might help someone else.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 19:09   #15
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. The best £20 ish quid thing I bought for both my laptop/netbook. Seems to work on any surface I come across too.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote