Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streamlining channel packages

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streamlining channel packages

Old 24-09-2017, 11:58   #16
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Streamlining channel packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I never said it was gospel, Den. I was simply responding to the implied criticism of the article being in the Daily Mail.

However, I do think it is rather more likely that the gist of a story that appears in a range of newpapers including the quality dailies has some truth in it than ideas that randomly come into your head, Den!

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

The Chief Executive of the Premier League has also intimated the same thing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a7960721.html
No different then the chief executive's before him who try to big up the TV rights auction knowing full well who will win most of the TV rights for the Premier League..

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Quote:
I never said it was gospel, Den. I was simply responding to the implied criticism of the article being in the Daily Mail.

However, I do think it is rather more likely that the gist of a story that appears in a range of newpapers including the quality dailies has some truth in it than ideas that randomly come into your head, Den!
Well there are still four screws in my head last time l looked and they all fit very snugly OB.
Old 24-09-2017, 13:39   #17
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No different then the chief executive's before him who try to big up the TV rights auction knowing full well who will win most of the TV rights for the Premier League..

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Well there are still four screws in my head last time l looked and they all fit very snugly OB.
What I'm still waiting for is a link or something to information that leads you to believe that nothing will change.

I guess we will be waiting a long time for this.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:41   #18
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I would go further than OB's original post on this thread and suggest that it's not just his household but almost all are getting bad value for money if they buy the full TV bundle.
I'm seriously considering ditching VM TV next February when my contract's up and moving to a NowTV/Humax Freeplay combo and just taking the broadband from Virgin. I wouldn't lose out on the Sky Sports, Cinema or box sets and would save around £50 a month even taking into account buying the Humax recorder. That'll probably work for us, regardless of what happens with the next round of Premiership overpaying
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:53   #19
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post

A consequence of any move like this will be minority channels will dissapear at the expence of the big boys, who will just hoover up other channels & either merge or close them & give us less choice in the long run.
The counter argument to this would be that if these minority channels can't survive without the subsidy of a percentage of the subscriptions people are forced to pay for something that they don't want then perhaps they shouldn't survive.
They are business's after all and only in the media and arts is it expected that handouts are given to a business that otherwise would go broke.

Whilst I would prefer the change to "skinny" subscriptions happens at a more rapid pace, for TV I'm quite happy with Freeview and Now TV with the money I save going to pay for my sports based subscriptions and VPN.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 16:52   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
I would go further than OB's original post on this thread and suggest that it's not just his household but almost all are getting bad value for money if they buy the full TV bundle.
I'm seriously considering ditching VM TV next February when my contract's up and moving to a NowTV/Humax Freeplay combo and just taking the broadband from Virgin. I wouldn't lose out on the Sky Sports, Cinema or box sets and would save around £50 a month even taking into account buying the Humax recorder. That'll probably work for us, regardless of what happens with the next round of Premiership overpaying
Add Amazon to that (I see you already have Netflix) and you are still making a big saving each month.

I may well take the same path in the future, but I will wait for some further developments before taking the plunge.

Of course, there could be some developments from VM that would persuade me to stay. If, for example, they come up with a lot of good exclusive material (eg through the LG association with Lionsgate, etc), they would be headed more in my direction.

I would really like the V6 to be developed into an open streaming box so that all the popular streaming services were on there. I thought that was the route VM were taking not so long ago, but now it's beginning to look like a lost opportunity.

Imagine that. A streaming box like Roku with all the cable channels and recording facilities to boot. That, I believe, would be extremely popular.
Old 24-09-2017, 17:53   #21
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
I would really like the V6 to be developed into an open streaming box so that all the popular streaming services were on there. I thought that was the route VM were taking not so long ago, but now it's beginning to look like a lost opportunity.

Imagine that. A streaming box like Roku with all the cable channels and recording facilities to boot. That, I believe, would be extremely popular.
I fear that is a dream that will never come to pass.
Several years ago I remember seeing a quote from the then CEO of Sky (I forget which one now) that said their aim was to reduce VM and BT to mere telco's.

When we catch up with the US and are allowed to subscribe to what we want via OTT services those "mere" telco's will be the dominant players as they both own their own networks, Sky's master plan will reduce them to a content provider and ISP who don't own the majority of their infrastructure.
When this comes to pass it will be much more cost effective for VM to let their customers buy their own streaming hardware and then just maintain their superior network!
Old 24-09-2017, 19:25   #22
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

What would be the difference between BT and Sky considering BT has to offer equal access to its network to all ISP's ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 20:05   #23
buckeye
cf.addict

Do BT have to offer access to their Gfast service to other ISP's or access if they choose to lay FTTP lines?
Whether they do or don't everyone else using their network is at a disadvantage and reliant on the whims of BT's investment program.

VM are at a distinct advantage with their own closed and superior network when we get to the point of only subscribing to the services we want via OTT
Old 24-09-2017, 20:58   #24
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Do BT have to offer access to their Gfast service to other ISP's or access if they choose to lay FTTP lines?
Whether they do or don't everyone else using their network is at a disadvantage and reliant on the whims of BT's investment program. A good reliable 76/20 service allows us to use the internet on multiple devices whilst streaming the likes of YouTube and Netflix on UHD on multiple devices if we choose.

VM are at a distinct advantage with their own closed and superior network when we get to the point of only subscribing to the services we want via OTT
I'm pretty sure Gfast is open to all the other ISP's should they choose to offer it.

As it stands I never max out my 76/20 mb connection.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 06:40   #25
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
What I'm still waiting for is a link or something to information that leads you to believe that nothing will change.

And your proof to that it will change OB?.

---------- Post added at 05:40 ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 ----------

Quote:

Well one is still waiting for yours.
Old 25-09-2017, 10:26   #26
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
And your proof to that it will change OB?.

---------- Post added at 05:40 ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 ----------

Well one is still waiting for yours.
I've sent countless links over time. You've sent nothing to back up your rather gloomy view, Den.
Old 25-09-2017, 12:15   #27
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I've sent countless links over time. You've sent nothing to back up your rather gloomy view, Den.
Countless links that add up to diddly squat OB as the proof is in the pudding and thus so far l am still waiting for it to arrive..
Old 25-09-2017, 14:56   #28
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Countless links that add up to diddly squat OB as the proof is in the pudding and thus so far l am still waiting for it to arrive..
I'm still waiting to see your pudding, Den...
Old 25-09-2017, 15:20   #29
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I'm still waiting to see your pudding, Den...
Well when it arrives it won't be doing a OB special that is for sure.
Old 25-09-2017, 16:47   #30
jj20x

Quote:
Indeed, if every link posted on these threads resulted in an actual change, VM would have been carrying Sky Atlantic for several years.