Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | looking for a good Wireless Router for 100Mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

looking for a good Wireless Router for 100Mb

Old 04-04-2012, 16:52   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: looking for a good Wireless Router for 100Mb

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

You won't be disappointed
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2012, 16:53   #17
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 14:30   #18
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
ASUS RT-N56U I've been looking at this one as well not sure how good it will be it costs a little more than the N16 but it looks attractive
I was looking at that for possible future reference and have seen good reviews. Regards the internal antennae it "has a feature called Ai Radar that purports to focus its radio in the direction of connected clients, boosting both signal strength and range."

However there are reports on the ASUS forums that it has problems with some modems with diconnections from the Internet (post 78 is from a Virgin Media user) and RT-N56U keeps losing lease. Looks good if they can sort it.
Bofrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 15:04   #19
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: looking for a good Wireless Router for 100Mb

Got the Linksys E4200 today and it is the best look this is on Wireless

Attachment 23320
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 17:49   #20
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

nice

is it the v2?
Old 05-04-2012, 18:15   #21
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

yes it the v2 got it from http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cisco-Linksy...3481656&sr=1-1
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 19:29   #22
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

ok so I have ordered 100mb so it looks like I should buy the Asus rt n16??

Seems to be the main selling point on here...what is the signal like for something upstairs? as router will be down stairs stepsons laptop and 360 are in his room so would like a good signal.

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

I actually meant to ask what the tomato software is and what does it have thats better than the supplied firmware of the router?
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 21:24   #23
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Out of the box firmware has DNS issues. Loads of sites won't open. To be honest it is unusable. IMO.

Tomato USB has so many options you won't know what to configure first. Seems to produce a stronger wireless, faster throughput on lan transfers. To cut a long story short it's better at everything. Just install it to make the rt n16 awesome.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 23:04   #24
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

and set the wireless transmit power to 60 and turn off Interference Mitigation
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09   #25
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

hi guys
new to virgin here so coming from previous adsl line and modems i would like to ask about the cisco e 3000 model or the asus e16

few dsl modems/routers will have in the statistics the electrical lenth of the line or will state how far from the dslam like the billion 7800

has the cisco or the asus 16 with tomato usb this info in their stats??
thanks
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14   #26
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

are you after an ADSL modem/router? i.e. virgin national, or are you on cable?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:58   #27
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
are you after an ADSL modem/router? i.e. virgin national, or are you on cable?
i am with cable and thinking get the cisco e 3000 or the asus but with the asus i have read the default firmware makes reboot the router by it self
i confuse
the asus got 3 thick solid external aerials so this this very good but the e 3000 has got 6 internal antennas and can not go wrong

i also am about the fritzbox 7390 can be use as router
http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...7390/index.php

the wireless reception is not the best from reviews but it can handle same time 2.4 & 5 Ghz together and all the phones in the house
also is a adsl and vdsl for fibre (2 in 1) if change in the future for fttc , it intergears iphones and android phone and can use them while in the home network to make international calls free..... but is too much money about 200 quid so i turn to the e 3000 or the asus 16

still undesired about these two
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:50   #28
gumpy321
Inactive

Services: V.I.P 50
gumpy321 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just had my VIP 50 package upgraded to 100mb (As it essentially the Collections package) and I have the VMNG300 modem.

When connected to my D-link DIR615, the max speed I am getting is around 94Mbps. When the modem is directly connected to the PC, I get easily over 100Mbps.

Virgin are sending me a Superhub, but I'm not planning on using it just yet, and even if I did, it'd be used in modem only mode.

My question is, I need a new router with Gigabit ports. I have found this: Link

Looking at the reviews, it looks pretty good for the money and the wireless looks decent as well. Is it any good? Does anyone else have one? Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Any info would be much appreciated.
gumpy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 14:30   #29
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I've heard good reports about tp link but went with the asus rt n16 for among other things, it's dual usb ports and the extra capabilities they open.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 18:22   #30
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

I got that TP-LINK one from Amazon and have to say its working great. Signal strength is excellent through the house now whereas the superhub was struggling. You could load alternative firmwares on it, but for me the latest original firmware is fine.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote