Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ram?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Ram?

Old 14-03-2012, 21:54   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Ram?

To be honest I think even in CAD the difference will be negligible. There's no real difference going from one channel to two channel in 3D Studio Max, x264 encoding, or various other encoding/rendering thingies, nor any difference going from two to four channels in Cinebench, Photoshop, POV-Ray or Lightwave 3D
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 22:02   #17
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

It does make a difference especially when cut/pasting from one project to another..

...GAWD is POV still going?? I remember programming some simple scenarios in that back in the early '90s and then waiting overnight whilst it rendered a single image
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 22:05   #18
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I went to amazon and ordered another 4 gig £22.50 free postage so that wasn't too bad.

I'm using Corsair XMS3 1600 CL9 so ordered another 2 of them.

As others said though check your motherboards manufacturer I made the mistake of getting 4 gig of cheap brand memory and it wouldn't work with my gigabyte motherboard. wouldn't post boot at all
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 00:41   #19
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Wow. I would only go up to something like 3GB RAM anyway.

Crucial.com does a scanner that tells you what RAM you need.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 07:38   #20
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

The general "snappyness" from going to 2 to 4GB is noticeable. Infact, i only sell machines with a minimum of 4GB of RAM these days, mainly due to how cheap it is, but because it's the "sweet spot".

The same could be said from 4 to 8GB depending on how well used your system is, how many programs you have running (especially when booting).

Windows will use most of your memory to cache programs and files you use regularly, the more memory you have, the more it will cache, which helps with the speed of your system since RAM is so much faster than your HDD. It doesn't show in task manager as using all of your memory, as when something needs the memory, it immediately re-allocates it to the opened program.

The Crucial scanner is good for beginners and people with pre-builts, but you'll find the 95% of memory will work in any motherboard. It's usually the non branded memory or ungodly cheap stuff which has compatibility issues. Most manufacturers provide a compatibility table which has a list of brands and modules they've tested with their boards just to be on the safe side.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:00   #21
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I've not had problems even with the ungodly cheap stuff. Even overclocked it by 40% without issue, so it's not all bad.
Old 21-03-2012, 00:24   #22
boroboi
cf.geek

boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I've not had problems even with the ungodly cheap stuff. Even overclocked it by 40% without issue, so it's not all bad.
Indeed, you'll probably find that most value RAM will overclock these days but as ever, if overclocking was something you were interested in you'd go for DIMMS which have a reputation for good clocking, or buy a set of 1600MHz DIMMS. Value RAM may overclock but it's always going to be up in the air how far you can push it. Also, if overclocking is of interest, buying a set of 1600MHz DIMMS and tightening the timings would be of more benefit than increasing the frequency, but the amount of people who buy value RAM anyway to overclock is probably small, and memory is so cheap these days that a few quid more will get you a decent set of branded modules loaded with high quality memory.
Old 21-03-2012, 00:47   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I don't buy RAM to overclock. I just buy the cheapest RAM I can find and save 50% of the cost. If it overclocks, great. If it doesn't, well, I haven't run into that situation yet. Even if I do, I'll have still saved a giant ton of money over buying uselessly upmarketed "overclocking" RAM.

My "value" RAM has never been the limiting factor in my overclocking, even when pushed beyond 40%.
Old 21-03-2012, 00:53   #24
boroboi
cf.geek

I wouldn't say it was useless, but RAM overclocking is pretty much pointless if you have the idea that it will increase system performance, higher frequencies are mainly used for e-peen purposes, but like you say if you can get away with a 40% overclock on value RAM then there's no need to go for anything more as the only reason you need to overclock it anyway is because it goes up with the FSB, or baseclock as they call it these days.
Old 21-03-2012, 00:55   #25
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Like I said, I don't buy RAM to overclock it. Since you clearly know increasing base clock increases RAM clock then you should also clearly know that alone gives reason for more than 40% overclock.
Old 21-03-2012, 01:10   #26
boroboi
cf.geek

Nobody should buy value RAM and have reason for a 40% overclock. I'd love to see your proof for a 40% overclock on an unbranded stick of generic memory, as DDR3 is generally 1333Mhz memory you'd be approaching 1900Mhz for a 40% overclock...
Old 21-03-2012, 01:49   #27
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I think you'll find DDR3 is 666Mhz and there's no such thing as 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM. Mine's been running as high as 900 but I never said DDR-3 specifically.

In any case going back, I've had
PC66 overclocked to 100Mhz
PC100 overclocked to 150Mhz
PC133 overclocked to 150Mhz
DDR-333 overclocked to 400Mhz
DDR2-533 overclocked to 800Mhz
DDR3-666 overclocked to 900Mhz

And that's without specifically trying to overclock the RAM.

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

Oh and I never said anything about unbranded stick of generic memory either, I said cheapest value RAM I could find, which has in the past included Ebuyer Value (PQI) Kingston ValueRAM, Corsair generic and Crucial generic.

Incidentally the highest overclock I've tried was simply setting the Ebuyer Value 533Mhz to 800 with no voltage or timing increase and it just worked out of the box, in a mixed size, mixed brand, mixed module setup.

I contend all this rubbish about matched pairs matched brands premium memory is just a load of *******s.
Old 22-03-2012, 02:20   #28
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Ebuyer value ram would never work with my gigabyte board so sent it back
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote