Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | update?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Tivo network settings

Old 05-04-2012, 13:26   #1
r94yan
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200, TV and calls, with Sky Movies and Sky Sport, Asian Mela. Two 1TB Tivo
r94yan is an unknown quantity at this point
Tivo network settings

have a problem and questions

firstly i know that Tivo gets its own dedicated 10MB broadband but how is this delivered?

at the moment i am trying to configure the network settings so the DHCP server is used. but it keeps saying a DHCP server could not be found. instead i selected tivo sets its own IP address, it then said that tivo has connected to your home network?? thought it had its own broadband.
r94yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2012, 13:51   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Tivo network settings

TiVo has its own cable modem built in, which is how it gets access to internet services etc. There are no configuration settings for it - it is all managed from VM's end.

Separately, you can connect TiVo to your home network. This is mainly for future use, but you can use network remote controls to control the TiVo now. These are the settings you are looking at. For most people, automatic DHCP will be fine.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 13:55   #3
r94yan
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200, TV and calls, with Sky Movies and Sky Sport, Asian Mela. Two 1TB Tivo

ok thanks but cannot seem to get the DHCP setting to work. it keeps saying cannot find DHCP server!! any ideas?
Old 05-04-2012, 14:06   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

You have an ethernet connection from the Tivo to your router, yes? Is the port status light on on the router? If you log into the router, does it show you the tivo as a LAN connected device?
Old 05-04-2012, 14:12   #5
r94yan
cf.addict

i have not connected the tivo to my router. should I?
Old 05-04-2012, 14:17   #6
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by r94yan View Post
i have not connected the tivo to my router. should I?
Yes. Both my Tivos are connected to the router and I can see each tivo from the other one and even delete shows from the other tivo.

Just waiting for VM to get a move on and activate tivo to tivo streaming.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 15:22   #7
r94yan
cf.addict

ok, but does this mean that some bandwidth is lost to be used by tivo. also are there any settings that need to be changed on the tivo box
Old 05-04-2012, 15:53   #8
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by r94yan View Post
ok, but does this mean that some bandwidth is lost to be used by tivo. also are there any settings that need to be changed on the tivo box
I have a feeling that I had to change a menu item, but I can't remember what; it's a few months ago that I did it. It wasn't stuff like DHCP settings though, it was a simple menu item.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 15:58   #9
r94yan
cf.addict

ok, well i have found that if connect my router to tivo and select DHCP then it works without errors. however if i unplug the ethernet cable it will come up with an error.

using tivo to select its own IP address means that i dont need to connect the ethernet cable.

so what is the best network option for tivo??
Old 05-04-2012, 18:14   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

What are you trying to achieve? If you want to use home networking, you must connect an Ethernet cable. If you just want your TiVo to work normally, you don't need to change anything.