Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub 2

Old 28-11-2012, 11:37   #61
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Superhub 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson689 View Post
If you go to Start -> Network, the Super Hub thinks it is a VMDG485.

http://d.pr/i/wLSV
Not sure how that's relevant.

Huawei made the other VMDG485, not Netgear.

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
You hope.

I'd like to see a reduced power footprint if operating in modem mode. If it uses more than SH1 it will be a backwards step.
The SH1 is already a backward step... My current simultaneous dual-band "N750" router uses 3w while idle compared to 9w for the single-band Superhub (others have reported over 12w)
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2012, 12:48   #62
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Didn't VM brag about how the Superhub is so futureproof it'll last all the way to 400Mb?
Up To
Skie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 02:40   #63
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

sky's hub seems even worse than virgin's their's only 100mbit lan ports.

my conclusion is isp provided equipment generally sucks compared to the normal branded stuff. but with that said I have used router's branded before that have also sucked, router's are just one of those things where experience can vary a lot.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 08:41   #64
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

and they are a perfect example of you pay for what you get. The problem is that most non-tech savy customers are happy because they have got "broadband" and don't understand what a router does and all the different features. And as people like to keep telling me, the shub is more than adequate for most peoples needs
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 08:57   #65
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Would that explain why I got this message?

Quote:
Sent: 21-11-2012
Hi there!

I'm sending you a message to let you know we've hand picked you to participate in future trials on the community. This means you have a reserved spot pending the completion of this survey.

If you're interested in participating in a future trial, then please do complete the survey as soon as possible.

Many thanks
I fought tooth and nail to not get a Superhub in the past lol.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 10:44   #66
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Heh Qtx please break NDA and tell us about the superhub v2 when you get it
Old 29-11-2012, 10:57   #67
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Heh Qtx please break NDA and tell us about the superhub v2 when you get it
Superhub 2 and Android version of TV Anywhere are the only things I can think of that they could be trialling soon, unless anyone knows any different?

Very much doubt I will be getting anything to trial from VM due to my disconnection date being in 2 weeks time
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 14:09   #68
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Superhub 2 and Android version of TV Anywhere are the only things I can think of that they could be trialling soon, unless anyone knows any different?

Very much doubt I will be getting anything to trial from VM due to my disconnection date being in 2 weeks time
Class, we don't have R37 yet but VM want you to trial a new SH? This despite the fact that you're leaving
Old 29-11-2012, 16:03   #69
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Agree about the ports and no 5ghz at all, but wired or wireless the SR-101, unlike the SH, seemed rock solid stable. Probably because the auto-channel feature actually works. Other than that though the interface sucks and the router is noticeably slow, probably underpowered. It has, however, been recieved with much more enthusiasm than the SH ever was.

Quote:
my conclusion is isp provided equipment generally sucks compared to the normal branded stuff. but with that said I have used router's branded before that have also sucked, router's are just one of those things where experience can vary a lot.
^ This.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 16:50   #70
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sky's fastest service is 80Mb and most home users won't have even one single wired device plugged in.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
The problem is that most non-tech savy customers are happy because they have got "broadband" and don't understand what a router does and all the different features.
I'm not sure how "normal" people are a "problem".

The "problem" is companies catering for the mass market and the niche market (i.e. us) not liking it.

TBH I get the same issues whenever I go to the supermarket.
Old 29-11-2012, 17:29   #71
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Ah, a bit of a 'foodie' like myself then ?

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
yeah got that myself too. heres hope that we get the SH2 to trial then keep
Yes, same here, would be great if it was the SH2. Providing it's any good of course. It's strange to be picked however, as they know I'm a VMNG300 user
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 06:18   #72
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Sky's fastest service is 80Mb and most home users won't have even one single wired device plugged in.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

I'm not sure how "normal" people are a "problem".

The "problem" is companies catering for the mass market and the niche market (i.e. us) not liking it.

QAS* is in corp mode :p

Most users does not equal all users, but the sky hardware situation is defenitly worse than VM because VM does have a modem mode switching the superhub to a dumb modem and the superhub does at least have gigabit ports as well.
Old 30-11-2012, 21:55   #73
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Would you rather have a bloated router functioning as a modem on VM or a modem functioning as a modem on FTTC and your own router?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:13   #74
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Would you rather have a bloated router functioning as a modem on VM or a modem functioning as a modem on FTTC and your own router?
you cant have the latter on sky tho easily. can on infinity but not sky.

so the latter situation is better but you not saying the sky situation.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22   #75
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I think Qasi's point is beside the point. Infinity/Sky aren't that great at the higher frequencies. When I was on 40/10, I got 38/8; when they doubled the frequency, distance mattered more and I don't get 76/18 - I get 55/10. Likewise at the next BT speed uplift will attenuate signal further. VM speed is not governed by home to cabinet distance.

In repsect of the SH, all VM have to do is position the SH as a get you going router with the option of using it in modem only mode.

Simples.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote