Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | please help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Identifying anonymous calls

Old 23-11-2008, 19:41   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Identifying anonymous calls

Yesterday evening I received a very threatening message on my answer phone. Apparently the person concerned is going to come round and "blow my f'ing head off" if I don't give him certain information. I know who the person is but have no idea where he lives nor do I have any other contact details, his number was witheld.

I have recorded the message onto a tape and spoke to my squash opponent about it tonight. He is a serving policeman who for obvious reasons cannot become directly involved. He advised me to contact my phone provider first and ask them to trace the number then contact the local police. He said that all witheld calls can be identified by the network provider.

I have just phoned 150 and as usual got through to a very bad line in India. The operator insisted that it is not possible to trace witheld incoming calls and was generally unhelpful. She only wanted to change my number but it is my business number so that is out of the question right now.

I will now pass it on to the local police and let them deal with it.

My question is, was she talking Horlicks or can telecoms networks trace all incoming calls?

Jim.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2008, 19:50   #2
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Re: Identifying anonymous calls

Telecoms networks can trace all incoming calls, whether they'd want to is another matter entirely. If a criminal investigation ensues, then they'd have to if a warrant for such information was produced.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 20:14   #3
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

I thought as much, may try again in the morning, are there any UK based support staff left?

Jim.
Old 23-11-2008, 20:30   #4
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Ring after 0800, you *should* get through to a UK call centre. If not, you could ask to be transferred to one.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 22:31   #5
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

This might be of some use to you.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 22:43   #6
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Also might be helpful - number for nuisance calls team.
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 23:38   #7
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Thanks folks, thats a big help.

Jim.
Old 24-11-2008, 00:52   #8
yesman

Jim,

Why don't you just involve the Police?
You have had a threatening phone call, that should be enough imo
Old 24-11-2008, 11:49   #9
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

I have phoned VM this morning and as expected they will only deal with the police at this stage. I have spoken to the local constabulary and they will be paying me a visit later.

Ex brother in laws eh,

Jim.
Old 24-11-2008, 16:05   #10
Fred Fish
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP
Fred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really nice

Good luck with sorting this out. People often dont realise the distress that these kinds of things can cause.
Fred Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 15:16   #11
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Yesterday evening I received a very threatening message on my answer phone. Apparently the person concerned is going to come round and "blow my f'ing head off" if I don't give him certain information. I know who the person is but have no idea where he lives nor do I have any other contact details, his number was witheld.

I have recorded the message onto a tape and spoke to my squash opponent about it tonight. He is a serving policeman who for obvious reasons cannot become directly involved. He advised me to contact my phone provider first and ask them to trace the number then contact the local police. He said that all witheld calls can be identified by the network provider.

I have just phoned 150 and as usual got through to a very bad line in India. The operator insisted that it is not possible to trace witheld incoming calls and was generally unhelpful. She only wanted to change my number but it is my business number so that is out of the question right now.

I will now pass it on to the local police and let them deal with it.

My question is, was she talking Horlicks or can telecoms networks trace all incoming calls?

Jim.
You should call 0800-953-3333 which is the nuicence calls service
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 15:48   #12
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

See yesterdays post at 10.49.

bmxbandit gave me the number and I phoned them yesterday as stated in that post.

Thanks for the reply all the same.

Jim.
Old 19-10-2010, 17:20   #13
samy1
Inactive

samy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Identifying anonymous calls

Guys,

There is now a new solution, ... Just tried it myself a few days ago,...
It works a treat, and i have finally managed to stop those abusive calls.
Its called www.calltrap.co.uk
You can see the callers numbers ( even if they withold it!! ) and you have the option of automatically recording the calls too... ( in case you need evidance ).

If someone ( ex wife's new fella in my case) is prank or abusive calling you, you can now get them in some real trouble!

Hope that helps!

Sam.
samy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 17:34   #14
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy1 View Post
Guys,

There is now a new solution, ... Just tried it myself a few days ago,...
It works a treat, and i have finally managed to stop those abusive calls.
Its called www.calltrap.co.uk
You can see the callers numbers ( even if they withold it!! ) and you have the option of automatically recording the calls too... ( in case you need evidance ).

If someone ( ex wife's new fella in my case) is prank or abusive calling you, you can now get them in some real trouble!

Hope that helps!

Sam.
that only works with mobiles though.

EDIT: it says it work on BT lines, no mention of cable telephone though?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote