Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Old Virgin.net account

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems connecting to pop3.blueyonder.co.uk

Old 02-10-2007, 11:20   #1
gallow
Inactive

gallow is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems connecting to pop3.blueyonder.co.uk

Hello all. Sorry my first post is a question but I guess its the way of most forums:

Has anybody had problems connecting to pop3.blueyonder.co.uk over the last week as I cannot download my email (web mail works fine as does the smtp.blueyonder.co.uk )?

PS I am based in Bristol.
gallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2007, 12:11   #2
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Problems connecting to pop3.blueyonder.co.uk

tried telnet now and it worked for me, try the following in the run box, 'telnet pop3.blueyonder.co.uk 110' wihtout the quotation marks and see if it connects
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:40   #3
gallow
Inactive

Thanks - I shall try that when I get home.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:29   #4
gallow
Inactive

Its strange because the telnet worked and Outlook and Outlook Express (we have a pc and laptop in the house) both connect (very slowly) to the pop3 server and get a count of emails but the connection times out over downloading about 5 emails.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:05   #5
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

are you running a router or conencted directly to the modem?
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:50   #6
gallow
Inactive

I am running a router. The problem started last Wednesday. Interestingly in Outlook there is a Test button which (after a little time contacting the pop3 server) completes successfully.

I shall check my router settings later just incase.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:07   #7
ambc_666
Inactive

ambc_666 is an unknown quantity at this point

if the connection times out then the problem is the anti-virus email scanner, turn it off or shutdown your anti-virus, it will resolve the problem. when the emails come in just re-enable it.
ambc_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 00:10   #8
ufitm

Services: VM VIP package and DTT freeview

I am having problems tonight , can not conect to it using windows mail
outlook, or web mail ,one error message that comes up on my main account
is bad user name and password another is no account in that name . i was working ok this after noon , it is the same one my other email aliase
Old 09-10-2007, 12:52   #9
ambc_666
Inactive

ambc_666 is an unknown quantity at this point

bad username or password message means the unsername or password is incorrect.

its possible the mailbox cluster may be getting defragmented, theres one this week but cant remember when. try it about 4pm+ ish and if it still isnt working try webmail. if you can access webmail then its the program if you cant access webmail try selfcare to double check the password if you can get into selfcare and not the other 2 then its the email server or cluster thats the problem.
ambc_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 16:23   #10
gooders2
Inactive

gooders2 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i also am a new member, and i have a problem sending emails,and also recieving,i keep getting message saying cannotsend prob with iss server
gooders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 16:25   #11
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Press Windows Key + R

Type cmd press enter

in cmd type telnet pop3.blueyonder.co.uk 110

Press enter - should get "hello" or something
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 16:49   #12
gooders2
Inactive

gooders2 is an unknown quantity at this point

ty 2050 will try this
gooders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 17:42   #13
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

From my VM National Service Connection

Code:
+OK Virgin Media POP3 server ready [ e4c558782BY ].

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/27/virgin_email/ seems to be a national issue.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 07:19   #14
thyde9337
Inactive

thyde9337 is an unknown quantity at this point

To webcrawler2005: Like others I am having problems with the Blueyonder E.mail service. Please tell me the purpose of the command entry you gave yesterday. I used it and it produced the following message in the black command mode:
"OK AVG Pop3 Proxy Server 8.5.401/8.5.409[270.13.70/2329]"

So what? How does this help to receive/send E.mails?

Incidentally,I phoned the Virgin Broadband helpline and my Indian friend told me that there was a fault in my area and that it had been causing problems for a number of days. She also gave me an aproximate time for it's correction. No success.

Strangely, I have had no difficulty receiving E-mails to one Blueyonder E-mail account on my Dimension 4100 (ME, Internet Explorer 6.0, Outlook Express V.6) but other Blueyonder E-mail accounts on the same computer not working. On my Inspiron 8600 (XP, Windows Explorer 7.0, Outlook Express 6.0) I cannot receive any Blueyonder E-mails. Both computers are connected to the same router. Yes, I have checked the account details.

thyde9337
thyde9337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 07:53   #15
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

1. The command given attempts to create a direct connection to the email service on the server, if you get a respoonse then the connection succeeded so the server must be up and working and the mail service must also be running and accepting connections.

2. It's possible to have one Blueyonder account working correctly and a different one failing. The different mail accounts may be held on different servers. If only one mail server is down then it might affect only a limited subset of accounts.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote