Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Router Wireless Password Change

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

help picking

Old 21-10-2009, 13:01   #1
johnmunch
Inactive

johnmunch is an unknown quantity at this point
help picking

Hi all,
Hope you can give a little help here, I am going wireless though 20meg cable (not phone line) and have been looking at 3 types of routers =

Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Cable G54 Mbps Wireless Router

Belkin G54 G54 Wireless Cable Router (DSL)

Linksys WRT54G2UK G54 Wireless Router (DSL)

all at pcworld.

I will be using a home pc (direct connection ) and Kids will be using wireless
xbox live
Wii
DS = wifi

Witch one of the above would be best for my needs (if any) or would I be better going for a higher one like the Belkin N150 Enhanced Wireless Router.

thanks for any reply
johnmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2009, 13:13   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: help picking

I've been using a Linksys WRT54G2 for a while now without any problems once I sorted out the initial config. Incidentally it also came from PCWorld.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 13:15   #3
banjo
Inactive

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Hi, I have just purchased a Linksys WRT54G and it has been very good, no problems at all so my vote would go for that one
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 13:25   #4
johnmunch
Inactive

Thanks to the both of you, I will be ordering the Linksys from pcworld today.
Old 21-10-2009, 14:35   #5
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmunch View Post
Thanks to the both of you, I will be ordering the Linksys from pcworld today.
Dont go with Linksys - horrid piece of kit. Netgear all the time.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 15:59   #6
johnmunch
Inactive

Well sat here with my new Linksys after it took 10 mins to get it all up and running, first speed test = download 19,608 kbps - upload 734 kbps , not done much more other than update software, but cheers again for the people who told me to get it as I can't see nothing wrong with it yet.

My boy just come in and wanted to go on his DS, so into settings and under 5 mins and he is up playing his DS over wifi, this is simple to setup.
Old 22-10-2009, 19:20   #7
banjo
Inactive

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

You are welcome
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 19:31   #8
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

I know you've already got it, but......

Linksys with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware, can't go wrong. Netgear tend to make their stuff look a bit better though.

Speaking as someone who's had three Netgear's, two Linksys units, A Zyxel and a Draytek Vigour, the Linksys wins by very narrow margin, with the Netgear coming in a vert close second.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote