Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fastest DNS Servers in south east England

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Cutting Edge going blunt?

Old 12-04-2011, 21:29   #1
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Cutting Edge going blunt?

I've been with Virgin forever so I get a loyalty discount on my 10mb broadband. I have no other services from Virgin at present.

There's been a price rise. I did not get prior notification and I'm now just a couple of quid better off than the £21 charged normally for broadband L.

For the first time in a very long time, the deals of other providers are looking more attractive. I want to stay with Virgin but I no longer feel all warm and cosy about value for money.

10mb is starting to stutter as HD kicks in and there ought to be another 'free upgrade' if Virgin wants to keep its customers at cutting edge.

Does the price rise constitute a change in contract and mean unpenalised withdrawal is possible?
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2011, 22:30   #2
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Cutting Edge going blunt?

You could upgrade to the 30Mb. Should be no issues even with poorly compressed HD then.

Being fair the 'cutting edge' isn't blunt, you're on the lowest available package rather than the cutting edge.

Virgin don't want to keep their 10Mb customers at the cutting edge, it's the cheapy basic service, they want them to upgrade to 30Mb and above which is why they only charge 18.50 for it if taken with their phone line.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 23:15   #3
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
You could upgrade to the 30Mb. Should be no issues even with poorly compressed HD then.

Being fair the 'cutting edge' isn't blunt, you're on the lowest available package rather than the cutting edge.

Virgin don't want to keep their 10Mb customers at the cutting edge, it's the cheapy basic service, they want them to upgrade to 30Mb and above which is why they only charge 18.50 for it if taken with their phone line.
The most important part of a house is its foundations. If those of us who choose the lowest available package start to move, you can equate the effect to subsidence. No matter how fancy it looks on top, if its falling apart below, suddenly you're living in a pack of cards.

The charge for the lowest deal is starting to look like a subsidy for the top end.
Old 12-04-2011, 23:23   #4
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
For the first time in a very long time, the deals of other providers are looking more attractive.
Have you actually, properly compared packages? I did a while back and VM was still the best available for the money; ie and unlimited pack with the actual advertised speed. That said, my local exchange has only three LLU companiesin it so my choice is limited. Your might not be.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 23:30   #5
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The most important part of a house is its foundations. If those of us who choose the lowest available package start to move, you can equate the effect to subsidence. No matter how fancy it looks on top, if its falling apart below, suddenly you're living in a pack of cards.

The charge for the lowest deal is starting to look like a subsidy for the top end.
I would slightly agree with you but even the lowest package still provides a speed better than non cable unless you are close to an exchange. And for the majority of users it is fast enough. All Virgin need to do is keep the cost comparing well with the other providers.

There will be fixed costs which do not depend on the speed of service e.g. technical support and installation which gives a base level and the effect of higher tiers does not add to costs proportionally .
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 23:37   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Another way of looking at it is that if they give their ten meg users a major upgrade, they risk winding up those customers who are paying more for their services. Never a good move for any company.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 00:23   #7
AaronCooper
Inactive

AaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enough

May i ask what deals look more attractive? 10mb package is a 10mb connection.. If it changes there is a fault in your line and you should have it checked over.

I mean it's all down to opinion but my 10mb package gives me the full amount consistantly; peak times and off-peak. Even if i saw a 24meg ADSL connection at similar price, i'd be reluctant to change. Just looking at the OFCOM reports shows how most ISP's speeds vary compared to their advertised speeds.

By the way, the are offering £5 off your bill for 6 months if you upgrade to 30mb. The installation is £30 but as you can see you get your money back off the bill so it's technically free. I'm tempted to upgrade but i don't wanna jump into a new 12-month contract w/ higher outgoings just yet.
AaronCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 02:02   #8
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Please don't misunderstand me; I am a VM fan but there's a limit to what I'll pay for anything based on its worth (not its cost).

As an example, many years ago I had the full Sky TV package; however, I'd decided what it was worth to me in terms of service quality, content and entertainment and when their then latest price rise breached that limit, I dropped the whole lot. The subscription was just one penny over my decided limit and I've never had Sky again. Frankly, I've never missed it either.

I'm not sure how many people react in this way (maybe just me!) but price rises, at a time when everyone is being fleeced by the Government due to the poor performing banks, may make others think a cheaper, if poorer performing connection is acceptable. Or that the internet is something they can manage without.
Old 13-04-2011, 09:08   #9
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Or that the internet is something they can manage without.
Now you're just being silly
Old 13-04-2011, 10:07   #10
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Please don't misunderstand me; I am a VM fan but there's a limit to what I'll pay for anything based on its worth (not its cost).

As an example, many years ago I had the full Sky TV package; however, I'd decided what it was worth to me in terms of service quality, content and entertainment and when their then latest price rise breached that limit, I dropped the whole lot. The subscription was just one penny over my decided limit and I've never had Sky again. Frankly, I've never missed it either.

I'm not sure how many people react in this way (maybe just me!) but price rises, at a time when everyone is being fleeced by the Government due to the poor performing banks, may make others think a cheaper, if poorer performing connection is acceptable. Or that the internet is something they can manage without.

If you are paying for a particular connection speed, and not getting that speed (be it 10, 20 ,30 ,50 or 100 meg), VM do have a duty to fix the problem.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 13:51   #11
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Now you're just being silly
Fair comment! What I should have said is "Or that the internet is something they can manage without at home". I would say that the majority of people who use the net already have access at work, like I do. Admittedly, there are restrictions, but generally speaking, only rubbish is limited by the work filters.

My local exchange has 9 LLU companies btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
If you are paying for a particular connection speed, and not getting that speed (be it 10, 20 ,30 ,50 or 100 meg), VM do have a duty to fix the problem.
It's not so much that I don't get the speed, but that the cost is starting to exceed worth. Probably, I'm a bit irritated that a price rise just appears on the bill without prior warning and a bit of guidance to say that as a rise is a change of contract, users can opt out without penalty if they wish.
Old 13-04-2011, 13:57   #12
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Fair comment! What I should have said is "Or that the internet is something they can manage without at home". I would say that the majority of people who use the net already have access at work, like I do.
Just as bad, really. The unemployed (like me), part-time workers, stay-at-home mums/dads, the elderly. All these may not have access "at work"
Old 13-04-2011, 14:03   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

All I can say is I get the full 10 MB connection at the new price..Good luck finding anyone else who matches that at a lower price.The up to part of any claim is the part of the claim that carries the most weight.
Old 13-04-2011, 14:09   #14
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Just as bad, really. The unemployed (like me), part-time workers, stay-at-home mums/dads, the elderly. All these may not have access "at work"
Financial constraints come into play in the case of the social groups you've mentioned...especially when the Government's measures begin to really bite. These are people who may choose food and a warm home over twitter and youtube. Net access is no more necessary than Sky pay per view imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
All I can say is I get the full 10 MB connection at the new price..Good luck finding anyone else who matches that at a lower price.The up to part of any claim is the part of the claim that carries the most weight.
I'm not desperate to find an alternative as such. Like I've said, maybe it's just reaching the point where having home access is no longer VFM. Tbh, with all the advertising shoved in your face on the net, I don't know why service provision isn't free.
Old 13-04-2011, 14:22   #15
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Because those ads are not making money for your ISP.