Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Chipped boxes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Chipped boxes

Old 18-10-2004, 10:14   #16
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Chipped boxes

NTL apparently. But may be selling them on soon.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2004, 10:48   #17
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
NTL apparently. But may be selling them on soon.
I think you are referring to Television transmitters. AFAIK, the mobile phone operators actually use their own mobile antennas, and if Ofcom is to be believed, they do.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 13:33   #18
bob_builder
Inactive

Services: ntl digital basepack ntl 1M broadband
bob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle
I think you are referring to Television transmitters. AFAIK, the mobile phone operators actually use their own mobile antennas, and if Ofcom is to be believed, they do.
OK, I did a seach on a local mast site that I know NTL owns. But the sitefinder only listed the operators using the site, MM02, T-Mobile and Hutchison and not the owner.
bob_builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 13:50   #19
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder
OK, I did a seach on a local mast site that I know NTL owns. But the sitefinder only listed the operators using the site, MM02, T-Mobile and Hutchison and not the owner.

OK, I stand corrected on that. However, the story does only say they are considering selling TV towers. I would be surprised if NTL started to sell Mobile phone masts though, there would seem to be quite some profit in running the sites..
Old 18-10-2004, 13:55   #20
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
Yes they are aware it goes on and have a dedicated team who have had considerable success in smashing the operations that market these.

They don't discuss their work publicly for obvious reasons, which is why people sometimes thing nothing is happening.

Like any crime, you can never totally eradicate it. But there's several people who've eaten bread and water for doing this.
They did loose a high proportion of fraud ivestigators in the regions through cost cutting redundancies though, so perhaps they are not as efficient at catching people these days.
Old 18-10-2004, 14:28   #21
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Isn't it the sellers that have the new diet for this & not the end users?

I thought they got a tap on the wrist & offered an upgrade to a full package for 12 months that they actually pay for.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 15:04   #22
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
The SIM may not be registered if it's PAYG, but remember who owns most of the mobile transmitters in the UK...
Your point is?? How would NTL find out who had the mobile from just owning the transmitters?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 15:11   #23
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwear
Your point is?? How would NTL find out who had the mobile from just owning the transmitters?
They wouldn't would they, theres very little technology involved in finding illegal boxes other than pinging them while an engineer works his way back through the network from the headend to the customers drop looking for the set-top transmitting.

Without a tip off, its like finding a needle in a haystack.

Their technology can only narrow it down to the last few hundred houses connected to the network at best, it cant even be narrowed down to paying customers because many disconnected ones still have drops connected in some areas.
Old 18-10-2004, 15:18   #24
Stuart
-

Quote:
At best, I would have thought NTL would only be able to track the IMEI number or phone number. Neither of which would be tracable back to the user if the user hasn't registered.
Old 18-10-2004, 15:18   #25
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

AFAIKR those that sell them tell thier customers thatthey should also keep up a basic suscription to guarantee a connection.
Connecting one without a sub is a big gamble as an installer is likely to remove you & reuse the link.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 15:19   #26
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
At best, I would have thought NTL would only be able to track the IMEI number or phone number. Neither of which would be tracable back to the user if the user hasn't registered.
Of course, all they really need to do is phone the guy and set up a 'sting' ... no high-tech tracing required.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 15:22   #27
Stuart
-

Quote:

Just to make it clear, I was referring to the mobile phone of the seller being registered with the relevant network. Having said that, Chris T is right. They just need to employ someone to "buy" the chipped boxes.
Old 18-10-2004, 15:24   #28
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Of course, all they really need to do is phone the guy and set up a 'sting' ... no high-tech tracing required.
Or alternatively disconnect all non-subscribing houses from the cabs.
Old 18-10-2004, 15:30   #29
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Or alternatively disconnect all non-subscribing houses from the cabs.
That would work a treat, but somehow I think NTL would claim they don't have the manpower to do it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 16:35   #30
Shaun
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
That would work a treat, but somehow I think NTL would claim they don't have the manpower to do it.
Surely they could make it a company policy that when a customer is disconnected they are removed from the cab. A clean up exercise could also be planned. With Ntls turn over they could eradicate the fraud in about a year!