Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Yahoo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Napster is not protected!

Old 22-05-2004, 21:20   #1
LooeyUK
Inactive

LooeyUK is on a distinguished roadLooeyUK is on a distinguished road
Napster is not protected!

I just signed up to the £9.95 a month plan just so I could download the tracks to my PC.

This plan lets you download the tracks to your PC but it doesnt allow you to burn or transfer to your mp3 player. Which is fine for me.

So, I download Keans album. 15mins later its downloaded. Listening happily. Then I thought I would give it a go at putting it on my mp3 player. Not exspecting it to play... IT PLAYS!!!

Erm, is this supposed to happen and why does it happen? Im downloading like mad at the moment
LooeyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2004, 21:32   #2
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude
Re: Napster is not protected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooeyB
I just signed up to the £9.95 a month plan just so I could download the tracks to my PC.

This plan lets you download the tracks to your PC but it doesnt allow you to burn or transfer to your mp3 player. Which is fine for me.

So, I download Keans album. 15mins later its downloaded. Listening happily. Then I thought I would give it a go at putting it on my mp3 player. Not exspecting it to play... IT PLAYS!!!

Erm, is this supposed to happen and why does it happen? Im downloading like mad at the moment
Not sure exactly how they could stop you, AFAIK you pay them the fee so that they can cover the bands royalty's etc,
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2004, 21:38   #3
LooeyUK
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdude
Not sure exactly how they could stop you, AFAIK you pay them the fee so that they can cover the bands royalty's etc,
Not really. The 9.95 is only the subscription to the service. I can download as many tracks as i like but i cannot burn them to cd or transfer them to a portable device. Yet, for some reason, i can. Just tried burning a J Lo album i just downloaded and it worked.
Old 22-05-2004, 21:42   #4
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Intersting. What format are the downloaded files in? I assume it is WMA9 with DRM. Which MP3 player have you got, and does it tell you what sort of WMA files it is compatable with?
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2004, 21:43   #5
LooeyUK
Inactive

Formate is in WMA. I have the Creative Zen Xtra 60GB.
Old 22-05-2004, 21:56   #6
Matuka
Inactive

Matuka is on a distinguished roadMatuka is on a distinguished road

I heard something about when you stop subscribing the tracks become unplayable?

Of the rumours that are getting about.
Matuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2004, 21:58   #7
LooeyUK
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuka
I heard something about when you stop subscribing the tracks become unplayable?

Of the rumours that are getting about.
Not possible as the tracks do not connect to the napster service when you open them
Old 23-05-2004, 14:33   #8
Nutty
Inactive

Nutty is on a distinguished roadNutty is on a distinguished road

Do you have windows media player Rights Management installed ? I dont, and when I tried napster.light it brought up a box saying I need to install it, but I just cancelled it.

It could be they rely on DRM being setup on your machine. Sounds like a bit of a loophole..
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2004, 14:50   #9
LooeyUK
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty
Do you have windows media player Rights Management installed ? I dont, and when I tried napster.light it brought up a box saying I need to install it, but I just cancelled it.

It could be they rely on DRM being setup on your machine. Sounds like a bit of a loophole..
Yeah I have Windows Media Player 9 installed and that includes the DRM pack.

Oh well, like im bothered. Woke up this morning and had 54 albums downloaded. Transfered to my mp3 couple hours ago. Perfect... not too bad for a tenner
Old 23-05-2004, 15:51   #10
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooeyB
Yeah I have Windows Media Player 9 installed and that includes the DRM pack.

Oh well, like im bothered. Woke up this morning and had 54 albums downloaded. Transfered to my mp3 couple hours ago. Perfect... not too bad for a tenner
I'm confused, as far as I can tell, don't they charge you £9.95 per album?

Quote:
You can burn songs to a CD and transfer them to a portable device for £0.99 a track or starting at £9.95 an album. Subscribers save over 10% (as low as 88p per track) when they buy multiple tracks at one time
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2004, 15:57   #11
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

Hmmmm......is it a loophole, or will the credit card used to register get billed for 54 x £9.95.. ..........
Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2004, 16:02   #12
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bifta
I think that whole site is rather confusing. It doesn't look very professional/clear at all. Also, when you search for bands, it will always tell you it has hits, even with a random combination of letters.

Quote:
Yes, we have multiple results for trjh on Napster.
The Top Five are: Trace Adkins, Cheap Trick, Tracy Byrd, Tracy Lawrence, Trick Daddy
And when you get a proper hit, it doesn't even give you a list of the tracks/albums they have. Just the top album if you're lucky. I am not at all tempted to try this. It just doesn't look very professional.
Old 23-05-2004, 16:06   #13
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bifta
looks like Looey has a HUGE bill coming in!!! for 54 albums he wouldnt of normally bought!!!

Oh well... such is life (thinking he got one over on Napster.... looks like they might just get one over on him :pp )

KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2004, 16:09   #14
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko
Hmmmm......is it a loophole, or will the credit card used to register get billed for 54 x £9.95.. ..........

well ........... i reckon someone might just get a rather large cc bill
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2004, 16:12   #15
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
well ........... i reckon someone might just get a rather large cc bill
Perhaps not...
Quote:
Cost:
†¢ £9.95 a month
†¢ Free 7-day trial
†¢ Subscribers save up to 10% (as low as 88p per track) when they purchase multiple tracks at the same time

Type of Service:
†¢ Month-by-month subscription
†¢ No contract

Listening Options:
†¢ Listen to over 500,000 full-length songs on-demand
†¢ Collect songs to your hard drive to listen to offline
†¢ Purchase tracks to burn to CD, transfer to a portable device or listen on your PC
It looks like you need to buy them if you want to burn them, but you can collect them to listen off-line. So, it does look like a loophole...

It also says that you will not be able to listen to them when you quit your subscription...