Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | speedtest.net

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

speedtest.net

Old 08-05-2012, 18:54   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
speedtest.net

This site gives my speed at 20mb/s

I have tried 3 others and they give my speed at 57MB/s which is what I pay for.

So which one(s) are right?

Thanks
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2012, 19:20   #2
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads
Re: speedtest.net

Well if one server shoes you 20, and another shows you 57, then the one thats showing less obviously isn't able to give you the bandwidth you need to max your connection out.

If you are getting 57 on another, then 57 is what you are getting. The best way to check is to go to gamershell.com and dowload 3 or 4 large files simultaneously, then add up the totals. If they come near to or over 6MB/s then everything is fine, just noticed you're on 60 not 50, so you should be getting close to around 7.5 (will be less with overheads)
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 19:57   #3
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Tried gamershell but it kept saying my authentication was not valid or something.

Why would downloading files tell em anything about speeds anwyay?
Old 08-05-2012, 20:09   #4
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
Why would downloading files tell em anything about speeds anwyay?
Its the most accurate way to find out your download speed.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 20:18   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

No it isn't.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 20:25   #6
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap3000 View Post
Its the most accurate way to find out your download speed.
So how do I do this (other than gamershell)?
Old 08-05-2012, 22:09   #7
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Quote:
So how do I do this (other than gamershell)?
Thinkbroadband.com has 1GB test files to download over multi ports on servers.
Kick every body else of your BB and disconnect every other PC or other device.
Connect to Router (or super hub in modem mode) via Hardwired ethernet via lap top or desktop PC.
Select and download 3 files. one on each port then add up the values or use a bandwidth monitor on your OS to get the total average.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 22:36   #8
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDiamond View Post
Thinkbroadband.com has 1GB test files to download over multi ports on servers.
Kick every body else of your BB and disconnect every other PC or other device.
Connect to Router (or super hub in modem mode) via Hardwired ethernet via lap top or desktop PC.
Select and download 3 files. one on each port then add up the values or use a bandwidth monitor on your OS to get the total average.
What do you mean add up the values? What values?

It'll be 3GB downloaded won't it?
Old 08-05-2012, 22:58   #9
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
No it isn't.
What is then?
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 23:25   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

UDP test.
Old 08-05-2012, 23:29   #11
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Why don't Virgin offer a speed test service? Surely that would be the most accurate way for people to test their connection.

The Virgin engineer I had at my home 3 weeks ago used the following to test my broadband speed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 23:38   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quite the opposite, ISP provided tests are the least accurate.

After all, people get internet connections to access the internet and ISP tests test everything except the internet.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:52   #13
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Quote:
What do you mean add up the values? What values?

It'll be 3GB downloaded won't it?
The speed values in MB/s of the 3 files.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 13:24   #14
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

speedtest.net will not show me correct speed from time to time
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 13:43   #15
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Quite the opposite, ISP provided tests are the least accurate.

After all, people get internet connections to access the internet and ISP tests test everything except the internet.
I, personally, would like a facility provided by Virgin where I can check my upload and download speeds. 3rd party sites can be very erratic. I pay Virgin to provide my services, and want to be able to check with them directly that my connection is working as I expect.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote