Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Time limit on speeding prosecution?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Time limit on speeding prosecution?

Old 30-01-2008, 23:33   #1
tpjay
Inactive

tpjay is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Time limit on speeding prosecution?

Can anyone tell me if there is a time limit between issue of a notice of intended prosecution and the issue of a summons to appear in court?

I received the NIP within the requisite fourteen days - existing 9 points mean court appearance but have still not received summons 6 months later....
tpjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2008, 23:44   #2
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society
Re: Time limit on speeding prosecution?

Im think there probabbly is but you will be looking at years not months
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 23:58   #3
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

In Scotland it is 180 days but this can be increased in some cases. Not sure about England/Wales/N. Ireland.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 01:17   #4
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

It always used to be six months from the issue of the NIP. Unless it's changed, if six months have elapsed you're ok.

Even then, if they wait almost six months before issuing it, you can argue "abuse of process", they cannot just sit on it, they have to issue it "expediently" and if they don't they have to justify it.
Old 31-01-2008, 11:10   #5
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

I had in my mind it was six months too. Not 100% sure, but I'm sure I've heard it before somewhere.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 11:48   #6
The Hitman
Inactive

The Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful oneThe Hitman is the helpful one

Yeah it is six months. I had a court appearance over a speeding fine. It took the police about 6 months to find me. When it went to court they where 1 week over the limit. It got dropped. They paid all the court costs mine as well

The Magistrate tried to impose the fine ect. But my solictor told him that the law is law and his job is to go by the rules and enforce it.
The Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 21:33   #7
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitman View Post
Yeah it is six months. I had a court appearance over a speeding fine. It took the police about 6 months to find me. When it went to court they where 1 week over the limit. It got dropped. They paid all the court costs mine as well

The Magistrate tried to impose the fine ect. But my solictor told him that the law is law and his job is to go by the rules and enforce it.
When i went to court just under a year after the offence, they not only gave me the points, they slapped on £140 court costs making a total of £200.

But i didnt have a solicitor with me... Lesson learnt!
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 23:13   #8
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

It also depends on the reason it's taken so long to come to court.
If the prosecution can prove they've taken reasonable steps to find you within the timescales they can proceed with the case.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:24   #9
tpjay
Inactive

tpjay is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
It also depends on the reason it's taken so long to come to court.
If the prosecution can prove they've taken reasonable steps to find you within the timescales they can proceed with the case.
They know where to find me - not in my best interest maybe but papers were returned 6 months ago

tpjay
tpjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 14:41   #10
shabbychic
Inactive

Services: anything, as long as you let me talk the hind legs of you
shabbychic will become famous soon enoughshabbychic will become famous soon enoughshabbychic will become famous soon enough

as far as i know, 6mths to a year (neighbour was about 8mths)
shabbychic is offline   Reply With Quote