Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 26-09-2017, 14:16   #2761
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
The entertainment offering on Now TV has changed before though. I am sure they once offered History and Disney Channel
Yes but I was thinking more of the share of subs revenue that UKTV gains from being included in the package.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Tbh i forgot about Alibi lol that will remain a pay channel i think so uktv will have W, GOLD and Alibi as their pay channels with the others going fta.
Another possibility is really and home merge into one channel and Eden and yesterday merge into one too this would free up 2 slots on freeview that uktv own and could possibly launch eden+1 and really+1.
Anything is possible with UKTV but I can't see Eden doing very well as an FTA channel. It's the old problem of niche channels only attracting a small number of viewers, which doesn't really appeal to advertisers. I believe that Yesterday +1 is still included in one of UKTV's DTPS (Freeview) licences, so they could easily launch that as a placeholder until they decide what to do.

Advertisement
Old 26-09-2017, 16:18   #2762
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post

Anything is possible with UKTV but I can't see Eden doing very well as an FTA channel. It's the old problem of niche channels only attracting a small number of viewers, which doesn't really appeal to advertisers. I believe that Yesterday +1 is still included in one of UKTV's DTPS (Freeview) licences, so they could easily launch that as a placeholder until they decide what to do.
I was surprised to hear Eden described as a niche channel. I thought the nature programmes were popular, although I know these are not everybody's cup of tea.
Old 26-09-2017, 16:32   #2763
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I was surprised to hear Eden described as a niche channel. I thought the nature programmes were popular, although I know these are not everybody's cup of tea.
Its a matter of taste for some people OB as some peoples meat is another persons poison.
Old 26-09-2017, 19:11   #2764
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But it is a niche, it's the way broadcasters subdivide genres to isolate specific segments of the market. It works very well for quality content on pay-tv but not so well for FTA, which needs higher viewer numbers to be attractive to advertisers.

Documentaries as a whole attract around 13-15% of the overall audience. Further divide that into History, Science, Nature etc and the figures start to get fairly low. Then bear in mind that there are several broadcasters competing for the audience within each segment. Not really the mass appeal needed to thrive in the FTA market.

Old 26-09-2017, 21:25   #2765
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
True.

Re: Eden low viewing figures. I don't think that their daft renaming excercise will have helped Eden to reach its target audience either. If I was interested in gardening and quickly going through the EPG I don't think that Eden would be enough of a prompt to make me connect the channel with the subject matter.
What?!

Eden has nothing to do with gardening.

It is a natural history and science channel.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Does anyone know anything about Gold? It seems to air programmes in a similar way to Eden, so will this mean that both Gold and Eden go FTA should Gold HD launch?
So much weird speculation about Gold doing FTA, people have wanted that to happen for years, but as one of the most established brands in Pay TV there is no reason for it to happen.

UKTV closing the HD version of Eden on Sky has nothing to do with any of their channels going FTA, especially Gold.
Old 27-09-2017, 00:06   #2766
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
So much weird speculation about Gold doing FTA, people have wanted that to happen for years, but as one of the most established brands in Pay TV there is no reason for it to happen.

UKTV closing the HD version of Eden on Sky has nothing to do with any of their channels going FTA, especially Gold.
No, but the original speculation was for Gold HD to be starting on Sky, Astra 28.2E scans appear to confirm that speculation.

Old 27-09-2017, 00:45   #2767
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
No, but the original speculation was for Gold HD to be starting on Sky, Astra 28.2E scans appear to confirm that speculation.
Yes, and that's got nothing to do with Gold (in SD) going FTA. UKTV have launched HD versions of W, Alibi, Good Food and Eden and none of the SD versions have gone FTA.
Old 27-09-2017, 01:14   #2768
jj20x

Quote:
Yes, and that's got nothing to do with Gold (in SD) going FTA. UKTV have launched HD versions of W, Alibi, Good Food and Eden and none of the SD versions have gone FTA.
As I've suggested previously, with Gold's inclusion in Now TV's Entertainment pack, it would be a very strange move for UKTV to take the channel FTA.

There are no solid facts to indicate that UKTV will be making any more of its pay tv channels FTA in the short term. That said, previous re-organisation within UKTV, such as the closure of Blighty have concluded with the launch of new FTA channels such as Drama. One to watch but, at the moment, rumours are simply rumours.

Old 27-09-2017, 11:00   #2769
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Just my opinion but I don't think GOLD will go FTA.
Old 27-09-2017, 13:55   #2770
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Just my opinion but I don't think GOLD will go FTA.
I'm a little surprised that the thread seems more focussed on the FTA issue rather than the obvious question of "is Gold HD coming soon to Virgin Media TV?".

Old 27-09-2017, 17:11   #2771
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
What?!

Eden has nothing to do with gardening.

It is a natural history and science channel.
Ah right, I thought it was part of their nonsensical renaming, referring to the garden of Eden!

Just goes to show that this policy is fundamentally flawed. The reason they named Dave in such a way was because UKTV- believe that "everyone knows someone called Dave"!!

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

Quote:
I'm a little surprised that the thread seems more focussed on the FTA issue rather than the obvious question of "is Gold HD coming soon to Virgin Media TV?".
Indeed, I don't think that any of the UKTV channels are FTA on VM.

I also think that we won't get GOLD HD straight away as it will be a Sky exclusive.

Edit: GOLD HD is now broadcasting off the Sky EPG, it's been said that the upscaled SD material looks rather good.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 27-09-2017 at 18:16.
Old 27-09-2017, 18:42   #2772
jj20x

Quote:
Indeed, I don't think that any of the UKTV channels are FTA on VM.
FTA doesn't really apply to VM as a closed platform. Sure, certain BBC and radio services exist outside the pack structure and basic PSB channels aren't encrypted, although additional services for adjacent regions are encrypted. Commercial PSB SD channels seem to exist in a strange zone where they are unencrypted but still included in most packs.

FTA status only really applies to open platforms.

Quote:
I also think that we won't get GOLD HD straight away as it will be a Sky exclusive.
More fun and games from Sky? I don't know about that to be honest. How valuable is largely upscaled material with very little native HD content? Hardly a big attraction

Quote:
Edit: GOLD HD is now broadcasting off the Sky EPG, it's been said that the upscaled SD material looks rather good.
Yes, I noted a few posts ago that Astra 28.2E scans had detected the channel broadcasting off the Sky EPG. There have been comments on DS about the quality but, in fairness, certain individuals making those claims would say the same if a grainy old VHS tape was being upscaled.

Old 27-09-2017, 20:09   #2773
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
GOLD HD is now broadcasting off the Sky EPG, it's been said that the upscaled SD material looks rather good.
Del Boy TV in HD? Media Boy HQ need to call Astra UK - not.

Eden HD is still broadcasting on Virgin UK Channel 249.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Nick Jr Too cooking with Bacon next month.

Nick Jr Too rebrands temporarily as Nick Jr Peppa from October 2nd until November 1st.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 27-09-2017, 22:00   #2774
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Nick Jr Too rebrands temporarily as Nick Jr Peppa from October 2nd until November 1st.
How exciting!! I'd better get the service name for "Nick Jr Too" locked in the database so that this temporary rebrand doesn't flag up loads of irrelevant changes.

Speaking of changes.. I've been informed that "Sky Ocean Rescue HD" has been added to TS ID 39 SID 3904 and that frequency changes have taken place on several VM regional networks*. That update is from raw scan data, no doubt I'll be given further information over the next few hours / days as soon as it has been processed.

*Edit: frequency changes for networks served by the Barnsley & Brighton headends.

Last edited by jj20x; 27-09-2017 at 22:19.

Old 27-09-2017, 22:38   #2775
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
How exciting!! I'd better get the service name for "Nick Jr Too" locked in the database so that this temporary rebrand doesn't flag up loads of irrelevant changes.

Speaking of changes.. I've been informed that "Sky Ocean Rescue HD" has been added to TS ID 39 SID 3904 and that frequency changes have taken place on several VM regional networks*. That update is from raw scan data, no doubt I'll be given further information over the next few hours / days as soon as it has been processed.

*Edit: frequency changes for networks served by the Barnsley & Brighton headends.
That an new Sky channel name for Media Boy HQ is an SD Channel also testing?

Maybe an Virgin Media Exclusive?

Only thing we can find on Sky Ocean Rescue is: https://skyoceanrescue.com/
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 27-09-2017 at 22:45. Reason: more info on Sky Ocean Rescue
Closed Thread