Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IP ver 6 testing?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

IP ver 6 testing?

Old 20-07-2017, 12:59   #1
Steve25
Inactive

Steve25 is an unknown quantity at this point
IP ver 6 testing?

My router (FritzBox) off SH3 in modem mode was temporarily allocated an IPv6 address overnight (2a02:8800:f000:1c01:e228:6dff:xxxx:xxxx) by VM.

Back to IP4 only this morning.

Maybe the start of some pre IPv6 rollout testing?

Stephen
Steve25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-07-2017, 15:11   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: IP ver 6 testing?

One can only hope, it's long overdue.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 12:03   #3
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Not seen anything yet, however i'm IPv6 ready, we can only dream Virgin might finally be.
Old 17-08-2017, 14:11   #4
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

"Staff trial" starting soon?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...addresses.html
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 14:46   #5
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Interesting the part about "secret" features, I suspect the IPv6 trial involves more than just IPv6 - VoIP perhaps?
Old 17-08-2017, 15:05   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve25 View Post
My router (FritzBox) off SH3 in modem mode was temporarily allocated an IPv6 address overnight (2a02:8800:f000:1c01:e228:6dff:xxxx:xxxx) by VM.

Back to IP4 only this morning.

Maybe the start of some pre IPv6 rollout testing?

Stephen

Needs to be in place for the VoIP project - not enough RFC1918 addresses for all the MTAs.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 22:46   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

What will this mean to the end user?

My Asus RT-N66U supports it as does my Xbox 1.

I guess the SH3 does.

Can/will both IPv4 & IPv6 be used at the same time?

What is the benefit other than more addresses?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:41   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I guess the SH3 does.
afaik all the shub's do and many many devices have for many years

Quote:
My Asus RT-N66U supports it as does my Xbox 1
if your 3rd party router supports ipv6 (which it most certainly will) then it doesn't matter whether the shub does or not because it is only the "router" you need to worry about.

Quote:
Can/will both IPv4 & IPv6 be used at the same time?
ish. As far as you are concerned you will have an ipv6 address but the isp will have hardware in place which can convert it to an ipv4 address as it enters and leaves the network to services which do not support ipv6

Quote:
What is the benefit other than more addresses?
encryption for starters but the primary benefit is addresses. In my house there are 3 smart phones, 3 tablets, two sky boxes, two printers, two pcs, two laptops, two tvs, 2 bluray players, dvd player, 2 media players and 2 NAS servers which are all networked. I haven't got round to networked fridges and all that stuff yet but ipv6 isn't about giving isps more addresses so they can have more customers, it is about letting every device on the planet having a globally routable ip address.

If you are into your networking and already have a solid understanding of ip addresses and how data is transmitted across a network then these are good videos to watch.

I strongly recommend anyone who has an interest in ipv6 to at least watch the first one to get a basic understanding. There is some stuff you might not have heard of before wand will go over your head but you'll get the gist of it.

The three combined are about 45 mins but they are well worth the watch and you'll appreciate why ipv6 is so much better (and most people won't know or care why) and why isps and businesses need a period of transition.

Last edited by General Maximus; 12-02-2018 at 11:45.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 17:35   #9
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
ish. As far as you are concerned you will have an ipv6 address but the isp will have hardware in place which can convert it to an ipv4 address as it enters and leaves the network to services which do not support ipv6
That's not necessarily true, Max. How IPv6 is deployed depends entirely on the ISP in question, however IPv6 and IPv4 can run side by side (Dual Stack). Only a couple of ISPs (mostly mobile operators in the US) have gone full IPv6 with IPv4 translation, but there aren't any indicators that any UK ISP will do the same. In all liklihood, we'll be going Dual stack with Carrier-Grade NAT CG-NAT) to share the last IPv4 addresses across multiple consumers. IPv4 isn't going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
encryption for starters
To elaborate on this further, IPv6 doesn't contain any kind of encryption, nor is it encrypted by default. Rather, it was designed with encryption in mind so that when encryption is used, it's more efficient than with IPv4.
Old 12-02-2018, 19:35   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Dual stack is what i was thinking of, i just didnt want to explain what it was plus the other options available.
Old 24-02-2018, 20:12   #11
Kushan

After what I said, there's this: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...3-1-plans.html

Virgin must be gearing up for IPv6 and it looks as though they're going the DS-lite route
Old 24-02-2018, 20:25   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

And docsis3.1 this year which bodes well for 500mbit speed upgrade this year and 1gbit next year.
Old 24-02-2018, 21:48   #13
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

i doubt we will get an upgrade to those speeds, more like new tiers when they are released.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 22:57   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

What i mean is that the oodles of extra bandwith docsis3.1 will give them will allow make higher tiers available tout suite and put the competition to shame. I think they reached a bit of a limit/bottleneck back in 2012 ish because when everyone else was having their speed doubled i went from 100 to 120 to 150. The only thing they could do to keep everyone hapoy is lower the price of the tier.
Old 24-02-2018, 23:48   #15
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

An upstream increase id like to see to 30mb or more.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote