Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 3 and Netgear Powerline problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub 3 and Netgear Powerline problem

Old 06-06-2017, 11:47   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Superhub 3 and Netgear Powerline problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsky View Post
Work around is to set the SH3 to modem mode and use an external router which is obviously not ideal.
It is absolutely ideal and what everyone should be doing if they a) want optimal performance and b) want all the devices on the network to work in harmony

You pay for what you get and isp's aren't going to spend the time and money in buying routers, investing in and testing features which they claim a high proportion of their customers won't use because they know anyone who is serious about networked usb storage, print servers, dns settings etc will just buy a proper router right off the bat. I had to have my own router back in 2001 because ntl only supplied modems but I have had the opportunity over the years as technology has changed to switch to a version of the shub as my old routers have become out dated but I haven't. I have always had my own proper router (most recently the Asus ac68u on offer for £110 atm fyi) and never once tried the shub in router mode because I know it would give me a head ache and stress me out. I have made many many posts over the years about this but suffice to say that when you invest in a proper router everything works properly, you never have any problems and your network runs smoothly with everything ticking away in the background no problem. I have got a large home network with many pc's, laptops, tablets, phones, TV's sky boxes, printers, NAS' etc all connected. Everything works perfectly all the time, I never have any connectivity issues and from a troubleshooting perspective, I know that on the one or two times a year the internet connection drops that it isn't a problem with the client or router and that it is an isp network outage because I am that confident about the equipment I have bought (a combination of Asus and Linksys routers, Linksys switches and every single wired device and room and connected with Belkin cat5e patch cables).

Just some friendly words of wisdom and advice. Nobody likes splashing out more money than they need to but many people such as yourself come on the forum having a little whinge about things like this and many of them get fed up and in the end they invest in a router and come back and say it is one of the best things they have ever done.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2017, 12:13   #17
stimpsky
Inactive

stimpsky is an unknown quantity at this point

Initially I thought so too. I do have similar experience and a similar complex intranet arrangement with professional NAS, managed switches, APs etc and I don't mind investing in routers.
However it seems completely unnecessary. The SH3 is the entry point for my intranet and should just distribute a few IPs through DHCP and otherwise just pass through the internet signal to the V6 box and the powerline adapters. Now I have:
1. to deal with complicated Router settings for IP TV
2. another ugly electrical device plus wiring in my living room running 24/7
3. another source of errors and signal degradation

Completely unnecessary in my opinion and that's what I meant with not ideal...
stimpsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 13:08   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Now I have:
1. to deal with complicated Router settings for IP TV
not really, I find 3rd party router gui's quite easy to use and definitely more so than the shub where they screw things up by stripping out features. You have got to remember though, once it is setup that is it, you'll never have to touch it again

Quote:
3. another source of errors and signal degradation

Quote:
Completely unnecessary in my opinion and that's what I meant with not ideal...
I don't think you understand what a router does and why a proper one would be beneficial to you
Old 06-06-2017, 13:56   #19
stimpsky
Inactive

Quote:
not really, I find 3rd party router gui's quite easy to use and definitely more so than the shub where they screw things up by stripping out features. You have got to remember though, once it is setup that is it, you'll never have to touch it again
Yes/No. I had two RT-AC66U in bridge mode in my previous house connecting the TV and equipment to the BT modem which I had to buy off ebay to bypass the also crappy BT build-in router. I lost many hours of quality live time setting this up by trial and error adjustments of undocumented settings.

Quote:
I don't think you understand what a router does and why a proper one would be beneficial to you
OK, then give me a few examples in which way my RT-AC66U with WiFi radio switched off is superior to the build-in SH3 router given that speeds and stability were perfect for a month? Which fantastic new effects can I expect, 4D internet??

If Virgin Media decides to ship a consumer device with an integrated router, I expect it to have such basic functionality as a reliable DHCP server for a few dozens of devices and an optimized pass through of signal to its own IP TV devices. If that breaks down upon connection to a powerline adapter then this sucks and again I am wasting time troubleshooting, calling VM helplines, writing here etc only because most probably the cheapest of the cheapest materials were used to make 1c of profit.
Old 06-06-2017, 17:32   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
I expect it to have such basic functionality as a reliable DHCP server for a few dozens of device
nope, it can't handle it

Quote:
and an optimized pass through of signal to its own IP TV devices.
nope

Quote:
. If that breaks down upon connection to a powerline adapter then this sucks and again I am wasting time troubleshooting, calling VM helplines, writing here etc only because most probably the cheapest of the cheapest materials were used to make 1c of profit.
you are absolutely correct hence my initial post and why I said if you buy a proper router you set it up, everything works perfectly, you never have to touch it again and if your connection drops you know it is the wan connection and nothing else. As an example with shub1, the wifi didn't work at all despite it being called a "superhub" and advertising it as having "unbeatable" wifi and if you connected a console to it (can't remember whether it was the xbox one or ps3) it would lock up. VM klnew it was an issue for well over a year yet instead of admitting it and fixing it they would let customers ring up, dick about on the phone with remote support and try changing the wifi settings on the shub and the network adapter settings on your client. You are new to the forum so you many not be familiar with all the stories and hundreds of posts that I have read over the years but despite dodgy untested firmware which VM bang out on every version of the shub, there are other issues with the hardware as well (puma chipset) which you will see in another thread in this section.

I may have jumped the gun a bit but I can't write an essay explaining the history of the shub every time somebody has a problem. The shub is crap and if you want to do anything more than connect a couple of pc's for internet access then buy a proper router. If you don't, then your free router and do what you can with it and don't complain. I don't understand why you would bother to invest in Asus routers and managed switches but not buy a proper router to manage your network for you.

Incidentally, if you have got an Asus router why isn't the shub in modem mode and you use the Asus router as your proper router?
Old 06-06-2017, 18:17   #21
stimpsky
Inactive

Quote:
nope
At least I was able to watch 4k TV a couple of days ago. Haven't tried with the Asus router yet.

Quote:
I don't understand why you would bother to invest in Asus routers and managed switches but not buy a proper router to manage your network for you.
You are absolutely right, however: 1. I do have proper routers 2. I do not want to place a router between the SH3 and the powerline adapters for the reasons outlined above 3. Everything worked perfectly fine until yesterday.

Quote:
If you don't, then your free router and do what you can with it and don't complain.
I am complaining about VM but I am posting here hoping that anybody has a solution how to get SH3+powerline adapters to work in a stable way. But OK, if it is common knowledge that these provider modem/router combinations are useless, then I might be wasting my time.

Quote:
Incidentally, if you have got an Asus router why isn't the shub in modem mode and you use the Asus router as your proper router?
That is exactly what I did and everything runs like before the SH3 stopped working. I guess I will have to stick to this set up and hope for an unexpected firmware update. Cheers!
Old 06-06-2017, 18:34   #22
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

It's worth noting that from other reports you can leave the SH3 in router mode, and just have any old network switch between the powerline adapter and the SH3.

It seems to just be a compatibility issue between the two, anything between them avoids it. You could use your asus router as a switch if you needed, turning off dhcp etc, if you want to use the SH3 as the router for whatever reason.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Just to add, it also might be worth pushing the powerline adapter manufacturer on this.

A compatibility issue between the SH3 and the powerline adapter will affect a tiny proportion of VM customers - those who use an incompatible adapter connected directly to the SH3 - and doesn't render the VM connection useless (other devices still work sir, so our broadband connection is working) so VM likely won't care.

VM have 4.6m cable customers in the UK, and there are about 27m households in the UK, so a little under 20% of the powerline adapter companies UK market can't use their product at all.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 18:40   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
That is exactly what I did and everything runs like before the SH3 stopped working. I guess I will have to stick to this set up and hope for an unexpected firmware update. Cheers!
You are still using the shub in router mode though. What I am saying is that if you put the shub in modem mode and attach one of your Asus routers to it as the primary router then all your problems will be solved permanently. All you are looking at is a 50cm patch cable to connect the router to port 1 on the shub and an additional free power socket for the router.
Old 06-06-2017, 19:32   #24
stimpsky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
It's worth noting that from other reports you can leave the SH3 in router mode, and just have any old network switch between the powerline adapter and the SH3.
That's a good idea and I might try this at one point. Thanks!

Quote:
Just to add, it also might be worth pushing the powerline adapter manufacturer on this.
Actually it seems to affect multiple manufacturers including Netgear and TP-Link. But if this can be solved with a simple firmware update, then yes why not.

Quote:
A compatibility issue between the SH3 and the powerline adapter will affect a tiny proportion of VM customers - those who use an incompatible adapter connected directly to the SH3 - and doesn't render the VM connection useless (other devices still work sir, so our broadband connection is working) so VM likely won't care.
It does interrupt broadband and intranet and I hope that this is not the official point of view of VM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You are still using the shub in router mode though. What I am saying is that if you put the shub in modem mode and attach one of your Asus routers to it as the primary router then all your problems will be solved permanently. All you are looking at is a 50cm patch cable to connect the router to port 1 on the shub and an additional free power socket for the router.
No, when did I say that? I am obviously not using two routers simultaneously. I have set the SH3 to modem mode and the Asus router as router and it works fine, as did the SH3 until yesterday. I am looking at an unnecessary additional device with ethernet and power cables and its own problems. Or do you think Asus routers are free of errors? Actually I have had a lot of router related connections issues when I have used the RT-AC66U in bridge mode over the last years. Several firmware updates have improved stability though.
Anyhow, I got your point and I will see how it goes. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2017, 20:06   #25
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
It does interrupt broadband and intranet and I hope that this is not the official point of view of VM.
VM honestly couldn't give a ****. This will never be fixed because as far as they are concerned it isn't an issue. How many customers use ip web cams? To put things in perspective for you, you had this abysmal wifi I told you about on the shub1 and game console crashing the shub which are just two of many many issues over the years and each time it takes them months/over a year to fix. Going by rtho's maths above, you would think that VM would want to get console connectivity issues fixed asap because it would probably affect more than 50% of their customer base but nope.

The message to take away from all of this is that if you have got an issue involving the shub you can guarantee it isn't going to be fixed (the next version of the shub normally comes out first with a new set of problems) and if you can do something to mitigate the problem yourself (like buy a proper router) then you should.
Old 06-06-2017, 20:48   #26
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
No, when did I say that? I am obviously not using two routers simultaneously.
Quote:
I had two RT-AC66U in bridge mode
Quote:
You are absolutely right, however: 1. I do have proper routers

I have no idea what you've done, I've re-read your posts numerous times and your network setup is not completely clear. It's contradictory at best.

I understand your argument against an extra device is annoying - it's yet-another-thing, another plug socket used, but beyond that it's a far better system than the SH3 alone.

You keep saying you're using the Asus in "Bridge" mode. You even said you used two of them "in bridged mode". If this is the case, that's why you're having so many network issues - you don't need bridged mode. IF you've got a single asus router, put it in ROUTER mode, put the SH3 in modem mode and all of your configuration woes will disappear. Your Asus is far more capable as a router than the SH3 is. All those "IP tv settings" you had issues with? They'll just work. And there's no such thing as "signal degradation" here.

If you want to use a second Asus router in the mix (Which is unnecessary, but whatever), don't put that in bridged mode either. Either connect it directly via ethernet (or even powerlines) to the first Asus and put it in Access Point mode or if you want it to boost your wireless signal wirelessly, put it in repeater mode. Don't use bridge mode unless you know what you're doing.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 20:57   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
I received the SH3 a month ago and it worked fine in router mode until yesterday
Quote:
I have set the SH3 to modem mode and the Asus router as router and it works fine, as did the SH3 until yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post

I have no idea what you've done, I've re-read your posts numerous times and your network setup is not completely clear. It's contradictory at best.
thanks Kush, I wanted to say the same thing and gave up.
Old 06-06-2017, 21:31   #28
stimpsky
Inactive

Well I said that
Quote:
I had two RT-AC66U in bridge mode in my previous house connecting the TV and equipment to the BT modem which I had...
So if you quote me out of context it seems awkward agreed. Almost like fake news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post

Sorry for not being clear (English is not my mother tongue), but I have never used the SH3 in a bridge configuration. This is/was my setup:

(Until one month ago (this was just used as an example in a previous post): BT [modem] -> 2x RT-AC66U [bridge mode] -> TV; worked OK)
For one month and until yesterday: SH3 [router mode, WiFi off] -> TP-Link 1200 -> rest of house; worked OK, then broke like OP described
As a workaround since then: SH3 [modem mode] -> RT-AC66U [router mode, WiFi off] -> TP-Link 1200 -> rest of house; works OK but suboptimal setup imho
Old 06-06-2017, 23:07   #29
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

What is "rest of house"?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 23:21   #30
General Maximus
Ran Away

why is it a sub-optimal setup. The latency between the shub and the router is practically non-existent. Tbh having a standalone router at the edge of the network (with everything else behind it) connected to a modem/isp is excellent network design. Putting another device in the chain isn't in any way slowing down the link. You are actually increasing the efficiency of your network by replacing a sub-par router with a high performance one. As an example, both myself and Kush have got Asus routers connected to shubs in modem mode and every week we have a gaming night with a few friends. Kush lives a good 130 miles from me yet his ping is 9ms when I host a game for 4 of us. I can guarantee it wouldn't be 9ms if both of our shubs were in router mode.

I am not arguing but if you had replied to my first post by saying that you have already got an Asus router and you have put the shub in modem mode and everything is now working ok we would have saved ourselves a lot of time. You shouldn't have any problems going forward and the shub will now actually perform better in modem mode for you than it would have done in router mode. The only thing you will need to concern yourself with in the future is router upgrades when you either need to accommodate faster wifi speeds of wan to lan throughput but that isn't going to be for a while.

Last edited by General Maximus; 06-06-2017 at 23:26.