Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wifi Buddy using lots of Data

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Wifi Buddy using lots of Data

Old 06-07-2017, 00:29   #16
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Wifi Buddy using lots of Data

Are you manually opening Wifi Buddy each time? Once the auto-connect is set up, it works in the background. Only trying to use the map and the full list of hotspots nationwide would require data.

You can manually connect to a VM hotspot by using the connection list. I've just used it to manually connect to a nearby VM SH3 hotspot labelled "Virgin Media". Didn't need to use WiFi buddy for that.

In theory I could buy a cheap PAYG VM smartphone(£25 total), install an app on it, and get a free internet connection to my PC via a neighbour without them being involved. Useful to know if my connection went down.

Last edited by nomadking; 06-07-2017 at 00:46.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2017, 09:31   #17
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

When I connect to a VM hotspot I don't use up my Vodafone mobile data..
Old 06-07-2017, 11:46   #18
skattie22
Inactive

skattie22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I never open VM WiFi, just let it do its thing in the background
skattie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:56   #19
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by skattie22 View Post
I never open VM WiFi, just let it do its thing in the background
So is it actually Wifi Buddy that using is the data? If it is, there seems to be another connection managers available that will do the same thing.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:01   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

As discussed the Virgin Media WiFi app will only use data when it needs to show the map.

It'll do this over whichever data connection is currently active.

Once your device is configured there is no need to regularly run the Virgin Media WiFi app, but it does need to remain installed in case the SSIDs or security certificates need updating for the service.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:17   #21
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As discussed the Virgin Media WiFi app will only use data when it needs to show the map.

It'll do this over whichever data connection is currently active.

Once your device is configured there is no need to regularly run the Virgin Media WiFi app, but it does need to remain installed in case the SSIDs or security certificates need updating for the service.
I don't have a mobile internet device as such, just a WiFi tablet. I started up WiFi buddy and it loaded the map and the list of hotspots. I then disconnected WiFi access(aeroplane mode), and then started WiFi buddy up again and it still displayed the map. What it couldn't do is overlay the map with the hotspots because that list isn't cached.

Is that a tweak needed for the app? 1) to cache the list and 2) to have an option to only update the list using WiFi.
Old 06-07-2017, 13:27   #22
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The first one I supposed it depends how far people move around. There would have to be a cache limit, and then would the whole cache need to be updated next time the app had a data connection? Do you risk making the data usage higher because of the cache then an immediate feed?

For the second option, I suppose it could be something added as a choice. However you can end up a in a Catch-22 i.e. to use the map to find a location with WiFi, you need a location with WiFi to use the map.
Old 06-07-2017, 13:39   #23
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The first one I supposed it depends how far people move around. There would have to be a cache limit, and then would the whole cache need to be updated next time the app had a data connection? Do you risk making the data usage higher because of the cache then an immediate feed?

For the second option, I suppose it could be something added as a choice. However you can end up a in a Catch-22 i.e. to use the map to find a location with WiFi, you need a location with WiFi to use the map.
The list won't change that much from week to week and an incomplete list is better than no list.
Old 06-07-2017, 13:45   #24
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

I suppose, but for an area you have already cache'd then you'd probably know the locations already.

Where you need the map is in a new area where you may not have a map downloaded, so the locations list wouldn't help over a blank location. I also don't know whether the location list first needs the map and location to work.
Old 06-07-2017, 17:01   #25
skattie22
Inactive

y'all keep banging on about maps, the o/p used 10MB in a day and travelled 5 miles.
Old 06-07-2017, 17:07   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

We keep on going on about the maps, as that's the only thing in the the Virgin Media WiFi set up that would use data on an ongoing basis.

The app does two things:

1. Configure the device for WiFi access. After first setup this doesn't use any data
2. Display maps for the hotspot locations. This uses data
Old 06-07-2017, 20:14   #27
skattie22
Inactive

well I never look at the maps, and don't travel around much, yet used 100MB in 20 days, so I beg to differ
Old 06-07-2017, 21:51   #28
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skattie22 View Post
well I never look at the maps, and don't travel around much, yet used 100MB in 20 days, so I beg to differ
How do you it is WiFI buddy using up the data?
Old 06-07-2017, 23:24   #29
skattie22
Inactive

attached is an image of my data usage, the removed app at top was VM Wifi, from the day in question
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20170706-222213.png (107.3 KB, 21 views)