Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart TVs with catch up service apps pre loaded

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Smart TVs with catch up service apps pre loaded

Old 28-08-2016, 18:12   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Smart TVs with catch up service apps pre loaded

I'm looking to replace our TV with a smart tv so we can get the BBC, ITV C4 and C5 iplayers without mucking about plugging peripherals or a computer into it.

However the more I read the more opaque the subject gets. Often a manufacturer will say their product supports BBC iplayer or even has it built in already, but then customer reviews say it isn't.

Has anyone got one of these they're happy to recommend? I'm looking for full HD, 32" to 40" (absolutely no bigger), with at the very least BBC iplayer preloaded (but preferably all of them).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2016, 18:49   #2
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Smart TVs with catch up service apps pre loaded

I would consider it a way to waste money, tv's tend to have a £100 premium to be a "smart" tv and can vary a lot.

My sister's samsung seems to have a lot of apps like netflix, iplayer, 4od, lovefilm etc. over 20 on the selection screen

Whilst my parent's panasonic is really basic has iplayer, itvplayer, but no 4od no 5od and no lovefilm, does have netflix tho. has 6 to choose from.

I cannot say a specific model, but just highlighting the lottery.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 19:28   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My son bought a cheap HD receiver from Tesco that does all those "smart" things for a fraction of the price.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/manhatta...skuId=320-7521
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 22:10   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We have no terrestrial signal here and in any case it's the screen on our old tv that needs replaced.
Old 29-08-2016, 09:54   #5
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

HD Freesat? Tesco do a box for that too.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 10:38   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The Samsung TVs are usually a good bet as they normally cover them all. It would make sense to look at last year's models though as they'll be cheaper and it's more likely that the apps will be there.

I don't think all the apps are there yet for the 2016 models although they will arrive
Old 29-08-2016, 10:55   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

None of Samsung's 2016 sets are listed on the BBC iPlayer support pages as being certified. There is a nice 2015 model with curved screen that is certified and well spoken of in reviews but getting hold of one is tough - almost everywhere is sold out, I suspect permanently.

I have been looking at an LG model this morning, but this is one of the ones that is ambiguous when it comes to iplayer support. I am reading suggestions that a firmware upgrade last month enabled iplayer. I think there's a reasonable chance that stock already held by retailers won't have that firmware already and will require an upgrade immediately on setting up.
Old 29-08-2016, 12:47   #8
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

If a TV has YouView (Sony) or Freeview Play (Vestel, Panasonic) then it will have all the PSB catch-up services on it. These services are relatively recent so it has been a bit of a lottery until their introduction, particularly when people got used to apps which then were removed or no were longer supported. The fact that Vestel are now starting to ship TVs with Freeview Play on them should put pressure on all other manufacturers to do the same or opt for YouView.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 29-08-2016 at 12:50.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 15:46   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Yep ... the problem with that is that the first time you set up a Youview TV you need to connect it to a terrestrial aerial, even if you subsequently plan only to use it with a satellite decoder and an Internet connection. As we have no terrestrial service here I can't set up a Youview TV. Otherwise one of the new Sony Bravias would have been quite nice.
Old 29-08-2016, 16:46   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

We have a 32" 3D & a 40" Samsung smart TVs, both support iPlayer without issue.

I even can stream to my TV via PC, phone & tablets.
Old 29-08-2016, 17:58   #11
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yep ... the problem with that is that the first time you set up a Youview TV you need to connect it to a terrestrial aerial, even if you subsequently plan only to use it with a satellite decoder and an Internet connection. As we have no terrestrial service here I can't set up a Youview TV. Otherwise one of the new Sony Bravias would have been quite nice.
Could you get the shop to do that ? They would get your custom.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 29-08-2016 at 18:24.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 18:26   #12
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
We have a 42" LED Bravia and it's a fine set. Built in satellite receiver too. The current Bravia's use Android (Linux) so that apps store is available IIRC. Ours uses an earlier flavour of Linux so the apps are preset but most are there including Netflix and Youtube. (4od and 5 are missing)

With any flat screen TV the sound is reedy at the best so you'll probably want to add a subwoofer as a minimum or run it through a Hi Fi. We have a vibe 100 watt unit.
Old 29-08-2016, 20:26   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Could you get the shop to do that ? They would get your custom.
I'm almost certainly going to buy it online. In any case, I can't saddle myself with something that would instantly become useless should it ever require a factory reset (until I can drive it to visit family and plug it into their aerial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
We have a 42" LED Bravia and it's a fine set. Built in satellite receiver too. The current Bravia's use Android (Linux) so that apps store is available IIRC. Ours uses an earlier flavour of Linux so the apps are preset but most are there including Netflix and Youtube. (4od and 5 are missing)

With any flat screen TV the sound is reedy at the best so you'll probably want to add a subwoofer as a minimum or run it through a Hi Fi. We have a vibe 100 watt unit.
We have audio issues on our existing TV so it has been sat on top of the hi fi for years. Any new one we buy will just plug straight in, so I'm not even bothering to check the audio quality of whatever we buy.
Old 31-08-2016, 13:08   #14
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

We have two Samsung series 6 TV's in the house (one's a 2015 model and the other one is a few weeks old) and they both run iPlayer, 4OD, ITV On demand without any problems whatsoever.

They also both support airplay from the current version of ios which is very handy providing you're beaming to the right TV
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 13:35   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Have you got the model numbers?