Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 11-09-2015, 17:24   #256
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Is there a reason they're not bonded? I thought that bonding channels was better than trying to load balance them?
Yes - lowers the maximum transmit power by 3dBmV so modems that were previously okay can become marginal or go offline. Local networks need 'lining up' to ensure as few modems are in this situation as possible before increasing the number of bonded channels.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2015, 17:41   #257
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Since I reported a drop from three channels to two on Tuesday I have had another short outage, this time resulting in the channels being swapped from CH one and two to three and four.

I only mention this because this phenomenon of an outage followed by channel changes is completely new to me here and because it is in the context of an expected upgrade outage on 20th. September and the highly anticipated speed boost. Others have said this 'bouncing' around is an automatic attempt to balance load. My area has been non-contended up 'til now, so I am not convinced that this is routine adjustment.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 17:56   #258
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Since I reported a drop from three channels to two on Tuesday I have had another short outage, this time resulting in the channels being swapped from CH one and two to three and four.

I only mention this because this phenomenon of an outage followed by channel changes is completely new to me here and because it is in the context of an expected upgrade outage on 20th. September and the highly anticipated speed boost. Others have said this 'bouncing' around is an automatic attempt to balance load. My area has been non-contended up 'til now, so I am not convinced that this is routine adjustment.
Upstream frequency change at all or just channel ID?
Old 11-09-2015, 18:10   #259
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Upstream frequency change at all or just channel ID?
Was 46200000 39400000

Is 39400000 32600000
Old 11-09-2015, 18:49   #260
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Thanks. Wonder if they were adding a channel. Quite possible.
Old 11-09-2015, 19:25   #261
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Oh great going off my parents current peak speeds of 10% of the advertised speed they should be able to enjoy 20mbps soon.

If they keep upgrading each year one day they may actually get their current advertised speed (100mbps) at peak times , should be around the time their tier hits 1gbps.
Brilliant
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 20:40   #262
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks. Wonder if they were adding a channel. Quite possible.
I've had three channels before, as posted here. Are you suggesting they were attempting a fourth channel or a 1, 2, 4? I'll keep this thread posted if I get more channel changes up to and beyond the work scheduled for 20th. Sept.
Old 12-09-2015, 00:10   #263
Ignitionnet
Inactive

There may be a 4th channel at 25.8MHz. That's where it usually goes given where the rest of them are. Group of 4 between 22.6 and 49.4, with whatever is underneath for STBs.
Old 12-09-2015, 16:41   #264
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Has Virgin released a list of what areas will be upgraded and when yet?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 17:31   #265
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I was wondering about a rollout schedule as well but tbh I don't think they are going to bother with one because from what I have read nearly everywhere is going to be upgraded by the end of the year. Just like modem mode, it looks like that have finally realised how ****ed off everyone gets when they post a rollout schedule which covers a year and a half, only then to put it back even further 2-3 times. If they have got the extra capacity in place now and do get everyone done by xmas I'll be very impressed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 17:49   #266
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I can assure that if you're expecting 300Mb next month you're going to be disappointed

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Has Virgin released a list of what areas will be upgraded and when yet?
Just a reminder no-one is getting upgraded automatically. There is no list of where/when yet which is normal, a list may appear in October.
Old 12-09-2015, 18:27   #267
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I asked a member of staff in the Virgin Media store in Nottingham this afternoon about the rollout and I was gobsmacked when he told me that "it won't be happening,it is only a rumour"

Unbelievable
Old 12-09-2015, 19:05   #268
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
I asked a member of staff in the Virgin Media store in Nottingham this afternoon about the rollout and I was gobsmacked when he told me that "it won't be happening,it is only a rumour"

Unbelievable
VM store staff know no more or less than us. They spend most of their time selling phones and they have no contact with those who make decisions.
Old 12-09-2015, 20:50   #269
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I can assure that if you're expecting 300Mb next month you're going to be disappointed
November?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 20:55   #270
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Before end of year, depending on area.