Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Setting New Tab To Google Default In Firefox

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Does this motherboard exist?

Old 16-10-2009, 21:42   #1
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Does this motherboard exist?

Hi,

I'm looking for a system board that has all the usual gubbins onboard (1Gb NIC, USB, PS/2 keyboard & mouse) but with bluetooth.

Also - whats the latest socket number - not really up on whats actually current!!
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2009, 21:49   #2
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age
Re: Does this motherboard exist?

well the latest on intel is socket 1366 & 1156 and i think it's am3 on amd boards, but not sure about the bluetooth and i think it's, mainly gigabyte that do ps/2 mouse and keyboard as most have gone to usb for both or just one.
Old 16-10-2009, 22:09   #3
LSainsbury

Thanks for the socket info - whats the difference between the two? Bluetooth is the difficult one to find on a desktop - laptops are fine - but desktop system boards is a different story.
Old 16-10-2009, 22:10   #4
zing_deleted

I would say its impossible but you can get adapters easy enough

If you got loadsa money the i7 1366 is better than the 1156 skt and the AMD is nowhere near but the overall build would be cheaper
Old 16-10-2009, 22:20   #5
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Does bluetooth really have to be integrated? What about one of those tiny usb dongles?
Funny when you think about it really, WiFi is also quite a rare integrated Peripheral, yet wired networking USB and 1394 are so common and have been for about 8 years.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 22:20   #6
LSainsbury

Did'nt think it would be long before you joined, Zing! :-)

I was trying to avoid an adapter - and wasting a USB port.

1366 it is then! lol! I'll take a look at both and see what I can get out of them.
Old 16-10-2009, 22:21   #7
zing_deleted

you will have plenty these boards ship with loads with headers for more. My board has six at the back and 3 headers mid board. My case has 6 on the front so I get to use all 12
Old 16-10-2009, 22:25   #8
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
you will have plenty these boards ship with loads with headers for more. My board has six at the back and 3 headers mid board. My case has 6 on the front so I get to use all 12
Indeed, last few builds I have done had 6 at the back with at least 2 internal headers for an additional 2 ports each.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 23:18   #9
LSainsbury

Are the internal USB headers proper USB ports? In which case I would mount the USB Bluetooth dongle inside the case - right? :-)
Old 16-10-2009, 23:51   #10
zing_deleted

no they are 9 pin headers. I have spare usb backplates you could mount one internaly and fit your device if you so desire
Old 17-10-2009, 00:22   #11
damien c
cf.mega poster

damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

if you are going to go for a socket 1366 core i7 board stay clear of the gigabyte ex58 extreme.
while it looks nice and has a ps/2 port for both keyboard and mouse and is aimed at overclockers etc, it was the worst mistake i made when i went to a core i7 pc.

it doesn't overclock well although i have managed to get my cpu to 4.0ghz, but for some reason it won't remain prime stable but i can do everything else, on it like video converting and gaming etc so not bothered about that, the main problem for me is the temps that the northbridge and southbridge get to and also the sound is really bad.

i would look at asus or dfi or even msi boards depending on how much you want to spend.

as far as i know the only difference between the 1366 core i7 and 1156 core i5/7 is that they use, dual channel ddr3 where as the 1366 uses triple channel but im sure there is more to it than that but not to sure.
Old 17-10-2009, 10:54   #12
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Did'nt think it would be long before you joined, Zing! :-)

I was trying to avoid an adapter - and wasting a USB port.

1366 it is then! lol! I'll take a look at both and see what I can get out of them.
but mate, some boards come with that many USB ports that you wouldnt know what to do with them, most come now with around 8 ports standard on the mobo, and then you got extra brackets you can put on them.

Also Usb bluetooth dongles you can get them that small that you wouldnt even see them anymore.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 11:00   #13
damien c
cf.mega poster

my dad has a bluetooth adaptor that just sticks, out of the usb slot by about 1cm.

as docdutch said get a usb bluetooth adaptor, i have about 8 - 12 usb's and only use 1 of them maybe 2 at the most.
Old 22-10-2009, 00:39   #14
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
if you are going to go for a socket 1366 core i7 board stay clear of the gigabyte ex58 extreme.
while it looks nice and has a ps/2 port for both keyboard and mouse and is aimed at overclockers etc, it was the worst mistake i made when i went to a core i7 pc.

it doesn't overclock well although i have managed to get my cpu to 4.0ghz, but for some reason it won't remain prime stable but i can do everything else, on it like video converting and gaming etc so not bothered about that, the main problem for me is the temps that the northbridge and southbridge get to and also the sound is really bad.

i would look at asus or dfi or even msi boards depending on how much you want to spend.

as far as i know the only difference between the 1366 core i7 and 1156 core i5/7 is that they use, dual channel ddr3 where as the 1366 uses triple channel but im sure there is more to it than that but not to sure.
Well i7 (x58) is more of an Enthusiast line-up, unfortunately a lot less tech savvy people have got on the band wagon and all you see these days is "how do i do this, how do i do that" while they're trying to gloat about their "enthusiast" setup l ooking like a ponse... doesn't seem to be as exclusive as it used to be.

The difference between that and i5 is the memory bandwidth due to only having a dual channel memory controller. Also there is no HT on i5 processors.

The difference between Core i5 and Core i7 will be somewhat dependent on which particular Core i7 one is comparing Core i5 to.

i5 is more budget friendly, although for a mid range P55 you can get an entry level X58... im looking at it as an enthusiast though because id have no problems splurging the extra £100 for an i7 CPU, but i5 caters to those who wouldn't.

i5 is as good as i7 in most apps that use two or four threads, but as soon as a heavily threaded app is loaded, or you're transcoding or rendering in 3D, then i7 will blow it for dust.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote