Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Old 13-04-2011, 08:08   #31
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Why didn't you tell them you wanted a better routing? Not as if there was no-one there when it happened..

When my cable was installed he told me what route he would like to do I suggested a few changes and he was more than happy to accommodate.. In your case I don't see why the box is so far to the left and could of been placed to the right of the window with the cable half obstructed from view coming up the side of said window and then run along the bottom of the roof line.

In other words if you (or whoever was there) don't give opinions then they'll do it the simplest way possible..

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2011, 09:11   #32
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Is that Omni box there to cover a cable access hole? Thats the only reason I can see for locating the Omni box there.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 09:14   #33
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Errr .. Kymmy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1975 View Post
Also, I specified how I wanted the install done and where I wanted the cables laid and they were not installed how I instructed them to do it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 09:17   #34
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Chris in other words "I didn't bother making sure that they did it how I wanted it as I wasn't too bothered at the time!!"

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 09:58   #35
Jason1975
Inactive

Jason1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Chris in other words "I didn't bother making sure that they did it how I wanted it as I wasn't too bothered at the time!!"

Kymmy, if you give someone instructions how you would like something done, why should I have to supervise the entire job. One would expect 'professional installers' to do it the way I wanted. If you tell your painter you want a room painted blue, and you come back and he has painted the cupboards blue instead would it be your fault for not supervising?

I had other things to do, and could not stand outside watching them do the install.

As some other guys mentioned it was a quick install. Fastest easiest way possible.
Jason1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 10:11   #36
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

1. How do we know they didn't just do the job hurriedly and leave? NTL installers did that several times to me. In one case, the installer left so quick, I almost didn't have time to draw breath, let alone complain about his work.
  2. They are supposedly professional people. Why shouldn't he expect them to follow his instructions, or at least give a good reason why they didn't?

Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 10:43   #37
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

for making use of the numbered list function ...

/makes a mental note to use more bulleted and numbered lists in forum posts

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 11:54   #38
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Some people come up with the most ridiculous complaints, come on please say "I don't believe it!" for us
I'd like my outside cable to be electric blue with a silver stripe running along it but we can't have everything. I honestly thought this was a joke when i read it and saw that photo of a perfectly neat install
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:10   #39
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Neat, until you see the two long black cables crossing the white wall.

It would have been neater if they'd actually tacked the cable around the window frame.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 13:00   #40
Jason1975
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger skillin View Post
Some people come up with the most ridiculous complaints, come on please say "I don't believe it!" for us
I'd like my outside cable to be electric blue with a silver stripe running along it but we can't have everything. I honestly thought this was a joke when i read it and saw that photo of a perfectly neat install

lol you should have gone to spec savers?

Like I say different people have different standards...it is far from neat.
Old 13-04-2011, 13:25   #41
Pittcity
Inactive

Services: Virgin Phone L, Broadband M, TV L & V+............. First Telecom Cable Saver for cheap phone calls
Pittcity is on a distinguished roadPittcity is on a distinguished road

You lot are lucky. When mine was installed the engineer drilled through a water pipe!
Pittcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 14:07   #42
roger skillin
Inactive

roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
lol you should have gone to spec savers?

Like I say different people have different standards...it is far from neat.
Not really, it's straight apart from one small section, i think it looks perfectly good, as for the wire coming out of the window, the paintwork on top of the porch and the dirty windowsill i'd be more inclined to sort that out if i wanted the front of my house to look better, this is why i don't think standards are coming into this
Old 13-04-2011, 14:44   #43
Jason1975
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger skillin View Post
Not really, it's straight apart from one small section, i think it looks perfectly good, as for the wire coming out of the window, the paintwork on top of the porch and the dirty windowsill i'd be more inclined to sort that out if i wanted the front of my house to look better, this is why i don't think standards are coming into this
Fair point I will cut the cable tonight. You however can't see the dirty windowsill from across the road.
Old 13-04-2011, 15:41   #44
roger skillin
Inactive

Quote:
Fair point I will cut the cable tonight. You however can't see the dirty windowsill from across the road.
I do like the tree outside your door though
Old 13-04-2011, 16:47   #45
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Must admit that does look poor, regardless of routing I would expect cables to be either horizontal or vertical !

On some local installs in my area the cable goes into the house horizontally, ie directly level with a horizontal cable run. I was under the impression that a cable should ALWAYS run vertically down from a wall penetration as this will minimise the risk of water running down the cable and into the wall.

I made a wooden box to go over the brown box. It is held on with one screw, can be painted to match the house and does not got in the way of the cables.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote